PDA

View Full Version : First mod. NEX Coilovers for E39 530i

Black Majik
01-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Well, after having a set of NEX Coilovers sitting in my garage for over a year, I figured I'd free up some space in the garage and install the coilovers...

Sorry for not having any pictures of the actual coilovers, but let me tell ya, the coilovers are beautiful. High polished finish shock/strut assembly w/ a dark blue spring.... you can actually use the coilovers as a mirror. The coilovers looked to be very well put together. Since I know most of you probably havent heard of this company.... (I also didn't at the time), I was somewhat skeptical. But, after seeing the construction, it made me feel somewhat better. Adjustable Dampening, adjustable ride height, and also adjustable pillow mounts up front! Plus many of the well known E39 owners ran the same suspension (Shane, Marcus, Pierre) etc...

So here my story goes, we open the box up along w/ a few friends that helped to install the coilovers. The fronts were relatively easy to install... unbolt the sway bar links, the control arms etc...

The rears on the other hand, after disassembling the rear of the car, it was decided that our tools would not be good enough to install the rear coilovers, so I took it to Michaelangelo Motorwerks, which they did a fine job of installing the rears in under 2 hrs.

So the impressions after the coilovers are installed and the rear interior pieces are put back together. I let Nima Kabir (many of you socal people know him as the crazy driver, Dinan M5 etc...) take the first test drive before me. We exit out of Tony's (Tranmanm3) complex where we find a back road twisty. Nima adjusts to the way the car drives, then once comfortable begins to push the car more and more... The final test, Nima finds a road w/ 2 sweeper "S" turns back to back. Since the car is so heavy, this obstacle was perfect for the boat of a car. At a street posted at 35mph, He guns the car, taking it at approx. 70 mph. (I wasn't looking, I was too busy holding on to the "Oh S*** bar) Double the speed limit w/ more to go. The car definitely lost much of its body roll... Overall, I'm very happy w/ the coilovers, although w/ new suspension the ride is stiffer. Nothing unbearable though, I'm 20... so stiff suspension is no bother to me.

Thanks to Vishal, Ernie, Nima, Tyrone, Omid and his friend Anthony, and Jivesh for helping me w/ the install. It was definitely a tedious few days.

Albert @ Tuningwerks, Pierre and Matt... Thanks a bunch on the coilovers!

Well, I snapped a few pictures today. Sorry for the dirty car.

The front
http://members.cox.net/qtranm3/rich/richfront.jpg

My bumper holding the phone in place
http://members.cox.net/qtranm3/rich/richphone.jpg

For a side view you can look at my sig pic.

Take cares all! :mdrbig

shragon
01-12-2003, 03:02 PM
so much for not modding the car eh? ;)

nice job rich. looks really nice!

Cattivo328
01-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Black Majik
I let Nima Kabir (many of you socal people know him as the crazy driver, Dinan M5 etc...) take the first test drive before me.

He doesn't happen to go to Chapman University does he? If so I think I've seen him around before.
By the way your car looks great.:clap:

Deejay
01-22-2003, 12:27 AM
The car looks great Black Majik. Did you get the alignment checked yet? The car looks pretty low. I'm just waiting to get my Nex Coilovers installed too....no rush though.

mikemaster
01-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Hey guys, hopefully the nex coilovers work for you because there have been a couple of nex failures posted on roadfly recently. You might want to keep a close eye on them.

Deejay
01-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Mike...what did you hear about them? I was told that the shock has a tendency to leak oil and that the suspension rattles/creaks....that's why I'm debating if I should even put them on (may take it back to the store and exchange for something else).

Black Majik
01-23-2003, 03:14 AM
mikemaster, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I have seen the reports lately also. A friend of mine also has experienced the problem. But since they were already installed, I'm gonna wait them out and see how well it lasts.

Sadly enough, I love to do canyon runs and drive the car hard... but w/ these reports, I'm scared to put any stress on the CO's.

If these fail.... I'm goin' KW's... :mdrbig

*fingers crossed*

mikemaster
01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
There were at least 2 guys who blew out more than one of them, and they weren't too happy with the customer support of the vendor. Anyways, rock them until they break, then upgrade!:D

EUPHORIA
02-06-2003, 06:05 PM
RICHARD - how much did the CO's cost you? I have been waiting for H&R to make their own version of coilovers and I was told they will go around $1500. Never heard of NEX. By the way, can you take some sideview pics of the car w/ better lighting? I'd like to see just how low it went?

shragon
02-06-2003, 06:08 PM
does ground control have an application for the e39?

abakos
02-07-2003, 11:15 AM
www.ground-control.com

Only 5-series they cater to in the E28 so far. :(

shragon
02-07-2003, 11:28 AM
should give them a call. they have an e34 application, even though it's not listed on their site. so they may have something for the e39.

abakos
02-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by shragon
should give them a call. they have an e34 application, even though it's not listed on their site. so they may have something for the e39.

:redspot

This may be the solution to all my woes. Thanks!!

Black Majik
02-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by EUPHORIA
RICHARD - how much did the CO's cost you? I have been waiting for H&R to make their own version of coilovers and I was told they will go around $1500. Never heard of NEX. By the way, can you take some sideview pics of the car w/ better lighting? I'd like to see just how low it went?

Alen,

I got a deal on the co's, the price I'll leave unsaid. But I believe the coilovers go for $1099.Evosport sells them. Might wana check out their website.

www.evosport.com

http://www.evosport.com/product/suspension/suspension_bmw02.html#nex

Here's a side pic of the car

http://members.cox.net/mauisusan/images/DSC01566.jpg

Good luck Alen :mdrbig

EUPHORIA
02-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks man. If you have a close up shot of the wheel and fender gap post it up. I'd like to see closely how much it went down. Looks nice though man, real nice.

potpie
03-10-2003, 04:42 AM
wow good price. And is that the lowest it goes? i plan on selling my 330ci and buying a 540 6spd. you think it can go this low??

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/265000-265999/265439_3_full.jpg

Noman
03-11-2003, 07:57 PM
those are 20in Alpina's on that car.
a 20in wheel package sits about 1in higher than the stock wheel package (any size combo).
that means that you only have to lower the car 1in to acutally close the wheel well gap by 2inches
thus you can obtain that look with just lowering springs.
You would never use the full 3-4 inch range of lowering a coilover setup provides if you had 20in wheels....unless you only like to drive in straight lines

e39ng
03-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Black Majik,

The NEX coilover is dampen adjustable? How do you adjust it? My friend has them on 528 but he did not mention that the dampen can be adjusted. How is it adjust?

potpie
03-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Noman
those are 20in Alpina's on that car.
a 20in wheel package sits about 1in higher than the stock wheel package (any size combo).
that means that you only have to lower the car 1in to acutally close the wheel well gap by 2inches
thus you can obtain that look with just lowering springs.
You would never use the full 3-4 inch range of lowering a coilover setup provides if you had 20in wheels....unless you only like to drive in straight lines

huh? i know they're 20". And that doesn't look like a 1 inch drop to me.

Black Majik
03-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by potpie
wow good price. And is that the lowest it goes? i plan on selling my 330ci and buying a 540 6spd. you think it can go this low??

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/265000-265999/265439_3_full.jpg

kevin, im sure that the coilovers will be able to lower that low, if now lower...

potpie
03-31-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Black Majik
kevin, im sure that the coilovers will be able to lower that low, if now lower...

woowoo thanks alot