PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a hard top

uratrtl
01-19-2007, 08:59 PM
So I'm pretty new to this bmw thing. (picking her up this monday) I'm also very new to even looking into aftermarket parts as my last car was a 96 4runner.

So my question is, where should one look when trying to buy a hard top to fit on this thing during the colder months? Or is it not even really worth it?

Also since I have everyones attention, what about angel eye replacement headlights? ebay or is there a generally accepted third party?

Anyway thanks for any information.

by the way its a 98 328Ci with 59k on it. Black with a tan interior.

fun2drive
01-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Your best bet on the hardtop is to keep checking the forsale ads here and on eBay. I would not worry about the color and just get it repainted. Since your car is black you have a better chance then most to get one. Bear in mind you will need the install kit from BMW too for about 150 bucks or so.
As far as the lights go I would recommend checking out the vendors on this forum and see what you read and see. I have ZKW ellipsoids with HID's in my vert (95 black/sand interior) and Inpros on my M3 with HID's. Light output is close to 3 times that of the stock lights, which by the way are not that bad until you have been spoiled by the ellipsoids....

ssyko813
01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I would check ebay for the hardtop also. You can find some good deals on them. But if you cant then go to the realoem.com site and look on there it is the same parts # and pricing on the parts there and the dealership. I have heard good and bad things about the lights on ebay. A lil bit more bad ten good. But the bad was on the cheap brand. I would check the vendor like fun2drive said. Hope you will like your car. And welcome to the site. Everybody here is pretty good guys/girls. What is the info on your car?

uratrtl
01-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, very informative stuff.

Now does the kit you have to install for the hard top stop you from using the ragtop like normal? It would seem rather stupid stupid if it did but I'd rather find out now than get my hopes up.

In so far as info on my car, as I said its a stock 1998 328Ci its got 59k, I could only find it in automatic but that doesn't bother me much. I walked away with it for 11k after tax, tag and title, not shaby considering the (way to high) suggested kbb price. Plus the dealer throws in a 6 month extended warranty. Rather than describing it any more I'll let the pictures do that:

hxxp://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3xk1.jpg <-- there she is

hxxp://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1hm1.jpg <-- was very pleased with the interior
(I can't post direct urls when do I get the right to do that?)

The carfax report tells me it was a corporate lease which is what my last car was and I managed no problems with it.

This is only my third vehicle and my first car (first two were suvs) so I can't wait to go from driving a boat to a nice responsive real wheel drive car.

uratrtl
01-19-2007, 10:48 PM
also are these good: ultimatecupholders.com ?