PDA

View Full Version : Got quotes for my new top... Original BMW or Aftermarket?

clarkerussell
01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Hello all,

A few weeks ago a vandal cut my top. I just got back from Nationwide Insurance where they did the drive-in claim thing. They called the local BMW dealer (Hendrick BMW) and BMW quoted them $2297 for the top, $661 for the headliner and 13 hours to install them @ $120/hour for labor.. That's a total of $4518.

The aftermarket top place was offering the top for $1130.15 and the headliner for $686.55. That price INCLUDED installation. The biggest difference (besides price) was that the aftermarket top did not include a replaceable rear window.

Nationwide has stated they would fully guarantee the new top for as long as we own the car. They are still looking into whether the rear window would be covered if it were to turn yellow or crack.

If I decide to go OEM Nationwide would pay for most of it, but since the existing top is 11 years old, I would have to pay a "Betterment" fee since the new OEM top would be better than the one that was on the car prior to the cut. The fee was 25% of the new top cost ($574.25). The headliner would be fully covered as it's not a "wear" part. Also, I would have to have it installed at a 3rd party because they are not going to pay $120/hour for the BMW guys to install the top. They will cover up to 13 hours at $55/hour.

Nationwide will NOT guarantee the OEM top...

So, my options so far are:

1) Get an aftermarket top with guarantee for $100 (my deductible)

2) Get an OEM top installed somewhere for $574.25 + $100 deductible ($674 out of pocket).

3) ????

Do you guys have any insight?

Thanks.

Jimmie Jazz
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Tell them that because the after market top does not have a replaceable rear window, the loss of future maintainability evens out any 'betterment'. Further, point out that were the window to be ruined or cracked, the entire top would need to be replaced again, not just the window, as in the OEM top.

MParallel
01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
No replaceable window?

Walk away from it!

In the very end, that one will be more expensive!

clarkerussell
01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
No replaceable window?

Walk away from it!

According to Nationwide, if the rear window were to need replacement, they would replace the whole thing for as long as I owned the car...

clarkerussell
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Tell them that because the after market top does not have a replaceable rear window, the loss of future maintainability evens out any 'betterment'. Further, point out that were the window to be ruined or cracked, the entire top would need to be replaced again, not just the window, as in the OEM top.

Their answer would be that they will guarantee the rear window for as long as I own the car. If the window goes bad, they'd replace the entire top...

mikese36
01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
No replaceable window?

Walk away from it!

+1

clarkerussell
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket top that has a replaceable rear window? Thanks.

Clarke

boltsm3
01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I doubt that they will replace the top if the window goes bad or discolors or cracks, I just cant see that in an insurance company!! stick with the OEM and you will be more happy.... pay up!!

MParallel
01-18-2007, 01:40 PM
According to Nationwide, if the rear window were to need replacement, they would replace the whole thing for as long as I owned the car...

That is nice of them, but to have the intire top replaced everytime the window goes...:nono

clarkerussell
01-19-2007, 04:54 PM
So is everyone still on their original top? If not, did you replace it with a fixed window, original BMW, or did you find an aftermarket top with a removable window?

HGS
01-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Mine still has the original top. The window has probably been replaced by the previous owner.

PicoDeLuuks
01-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Mine probably still has the original top, rear window has been replaced. I had some serious leaking in heavy rain storms, but after having it resealed 3 times, it finally seems to be holding up. And it better now.
Not looking forward spending 3-4k on a replacement top.....

fun2drive
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Original top and BMW replacement window.
I would be sure if they said they would cover the top if the window goes bad that you get that in writing.
No aftermarket top fits like a BMW OEM top and a good deal of the happiness you will have with your new top has to do with who installs it.
BMW does not do the best job in the world and I would only go to someone who has done BMW tops or you are asking for headaches down the road.
I would suggest this. If you can get a good BMW OEM top from someone like Circle BMW who will really discount the top and have it installed by an independent upholstry shop what would the insurance company say then.

clarkerussell
01-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Original top and BMW replacement window.
I would be sure if they said they would cover the top if the window goes bad that you get that in writing.
No aftermarket top fits like a BMW OEM top and a good deal of the happiness you will have with your new top has to do with who installs it.
BMW does not do the best job in the world and I would only go to someone who has done BMW tops or you are asking for headaches down the road.
I would suggest this. If you can get a good BMW OEM top from someone like Circle BMW who will really discount the top and have it installed by an independent upholstry shop what would the insurance company say then.

Thanks, I'm going to a local shop where I know the owner very well... Hopefully he'll be able to install the OEM top... It seems he always has an e30 in his shop for a new top... Thanks for your input.

rasher
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I had exactly the same situation as the OP last spring. Down to the "betterment" issue. I went ahead and went with the OEM top, sucked it up and paid the difference. I am VERY happy with my decision, as my brand new top is PERFECT. I don't even remember anymore how much it actually cost me...
Go for the OEM top. You won't have any regrets. It's a BMW, for chrissakes!

c2d
03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I think I have a little insight into this non-removable window top...my OEM window is unzipping on me so I was checking into getting it fixed. I stumbled across a shop that made their own tops for about the same money you're referring to, but the window instead of being zipped in was sewn in. I don't buy that it can't be removed, all they have to do is remove the stitching, remove the window, then restitch the new one in. The bitch of it is that they have to remove the entire top off the frame in order to do the job. If you were coming out of pocket for the entire amount, I would consider the non OEM, but if insurance is covering most of it...it's a no brainer. Stick it to the insurance company!