PDA

View Full Version : 98 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible top hitting lid

dhay31
01-14-2007, 05:56 AM
I have a 98 M3 convertible that when I bring the top down it bangs the back lid on the way in. Also on the inside where I am assuming the tension cables on each side attaches to a plastic part the glue on the roof lining is gone and it flaps in the wind whenever the windows are open. HELP!!

laserdude
01-14-2007, 10:25 AM
It sounds as if the tensioning straps are stretched out. There is a thread on tightening them, do a search. Also as far as parts loose and flapping, I have used velcro with quite a bit of success to hold odd bits and pieces.

texas319
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
seems like alot of people are having a top problem around the same time. Weird

palomino
01-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Also on the inside where I am assuming the tension cables on each side attaches to a plastic part the glue on the roof lining is gone and it flaps in the wind whenever the windows are open. HELP!!needs to be restringed. the sides are just held tight with thin little cords that wear and rot, then break.

you can get the restring kit at the dealer, or go to an arts & crafts store and buy your own sturdy string. the dealer has 3 or 4 different kits though. there's one with just a string and a clamp, one with the string, clamp, and the metal D-rings, and a few others. ive only ever needed the first one.

there is a pattern to follow when you restring, hopefully someone can take a picture of the side strings with their top half-open or half-closed. i have my hardtop on now.

to find the proper length, once you have the full-length string threaded correctly with the top half-open, youll need to close the top and pull the string until the headliner it stretched to the proper tension and the c-pillar flap is in the proper place. you should know what the looks like from before the strings broke. mark the string where it needs to be knotted (or clamped, if you bought the dealer kit) to hold that proper tension, knot or clamp it, then trim the excess. took me about 20 minutes the first time. i think the kit i always buy is about $16.

the dealer kits have blue string. thought that was odd. :dunno

you dont want to rig that part with velcro. its important to use a non-stretchy string. the design of the top allows the string to get slack while the top is opening or closing so that everything can fold up properly. then, when the top is up, it keeps tension to hold the headliner in place firmly.

MParallel
01-14-2007, 04:44 PM
^^

It's not some strings or little cord issue, but the thick tension straps.

You need to unscrew them from the frame, tighten them and rescrew in place.

palomino
01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
^^

It's not some strings or little cord issue, but the thick tension straps.

You need to unscrew them from the frame, tighten them and rescrew in place.

time to read a little better.

i am addressing the original poster's second issue.

:rolleyes

MParallel
01-14-2007, 06:59 PM
time to read a little better.

i am addressing the original poster's second issue.

:rolleyes

;)

wannabebob
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
HEY, I thought you guys were friends. Knock it off!!!

I had a re-stringing diagram somewhere, I think it might be in TIS. If I find it I'll put it up. I would recommend some heavy duty unbreakable nylon cord though, not just any string. And epoxy the ends to the plastic, mine I actually poked a small hole as the eyelets has broken, then epoxy-ed the cord to the plastic and covered it with the loose fabric.

dhay31
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the good advice on solving my problem. I think I will go with getting the kit from the dealer. Is this a DIY project or should I seek professional help:eyecrazy?

dhay31
01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
The plastic on mine broke, do you know if the kit from the dealer comes with it. I looked up the kit online but there are several different part numbers. I usually like to walk into the dealer with my part numbers it get's me out quick.

wannabebob
01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the good advice on solving my problem. I think I will go with getting the kit from the dealer. Is this a DIY project or should I seek professional help:eyecrazy?

You can do it yourself, especially the strings. Just take your time and be patient. The tension straps are a wee bit harder. Lots of posts on that. Google BMW Tension Straps. I tried, but mine were so far gone I wound up at a Upholstery/Convertible Top repair place and had them replaced.

wannabebob
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
The plastic on mine broke, do you know if the kit from the dealer comes with it. I looked up the kit online but there are several different part numbers. I usually like to walk into the dealer with my part numbers it get's me out quick.

String Kit 54-31-9-068-572

Column C Insert (Plastic Piece) 54-31-8-211-902

dhay31
01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
String Kit 54-31-9-068-572

Column C Insert (Plastic Piece) 54-31-8-211-902
Thanks for the info. Sorry to be a pest, but is there somewhere I can get a diagram or instructions on installing the string kit? Especially the headliner I can't even imagine how to get that open. Also, I think I may need to epoxy the healiner to the Column C Insert.

wannabebob
01-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Google is a Wonderful Tool. Use It.

I searched..... bmw convertible top restringing and found...

http://www.worlduph.com/bmwe36hlinstructions.htm

also maybe the BMW dealer kit has instructions. I don't know, never bought one. Maybe Palomino knows.

dhay31
01-16-2007, 11:44 PM

also maybe the BMW dealer kit has instructions. I don't know, never bought one. Maybe Palomino knows.
Thanks again for the help wannabebob.

MParallel
01-17-2007, 09:27 AM
FYI

The top is glued to that plastic C-pillar trimpiece.

Jimmie Jazz
01-17-2007, 09:34 AM

I wish that site actually had the instructions for replacing the headliner, not just the trim pieces.
I'm looking for some comprehensive instructions for replacing the tension straps, too.

wannabebob
01-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Not comprehensive but kind of explains it...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/101-Projects-74-Convertible/101-Projects-74-Convertible.htm

also...

Jimmie Jazz
01-17-2007, 10:53 AM

I wish that site actually had the instructions for replacing the headliner, not just the trim pieces.
I'm looking for some comprehensive instructions for replacing the tension straps, too.

Looked at the pelican site, but there's no step-by-step that I saw. I wonder if the book has more detail?

Jimmie Jazz
01-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Not comprehensive but kind of explains it...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/101-Projects-74-Convertible/101-Projects-74-Convertible.htm

also...

Awesome attachment.. Thanks! I was thinking I'd have to remove the entire top.

wannabebob
01-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Awesome attachment.. Thanks! I was thinking I'd have to remove the entire top.

Don't thank me. Thank bigbris1 there's a lot more see...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4687851&highlight=Tensioning+Straps

dhay31
01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Wannabebob you are turning into the guru of vert top repair. The info your giving is great. I think my original problem may be the tension straps that is preventing my top from operating correctly. I will be working on replacing the straps and re-stringing. The string kit comes with the plastics for the c-pillar then need to be glued back to the headliner. I just prefer everything be neat, clean and functioning like they are supposed to.

wannabebob
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Wannabebob you are turning into the guru of vert top repair. The info your giving is great. I think my original problem may be the tension straps that is preventing my top from operating correctly. I will be working on replacing the straps and re-stringing. The string kit comes with the plastics for the c-pillar then need to be glued back to the headliner. I just prefer everything be neat, clean and functioning like they are supposed to.

Good luck, post a photo when it's done.

According to the Pelican site, Kit Column C Cover Tension Rope Repair Kit (part number 54-31-9-068-572). Includes the instructions ( and I assume the routing pattern) for restringing. If that's what you wind up buying I'd appreciate a copy of the pattern. Or better yet just post one for everybody. I'm sure they'd appreciate it too.

wannabebob
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
BTW if anyone is interested I have another PDF file that's very good with lots of photos depicting how to adjust the key esentials in the convertible top boot cover and the top itself. PM me with an EMAIL ADDRESS and I'll send it to you. It's too large to attach to a post, just under a meg.

dhay31
01-17-2007, 10:47 PM
BTW if anyone is interested I have another PDF file that's very good with lots of photos depicting how to adjust the key esentials in the convertible top boot cover and the top itself. PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you. It's too large to attach., just under a meg.

I think I will be going with Pelican. I will send you a copy of the instructions once I receive it.

dhay31
01-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm getting the top restringed with the kit from Pelican and the tension bands replaces also. Keep your fingers croseed I'm having an off duty BMW tech do the work for me. I will send befor and after pics when complete, should be a few days.

dhay31
01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm having the tope restinged and the tension bands replaced with the Pelican kit this weekend. I have an M3 tech doing it for me. I will send before and after pics when done. Keep your fingers crossed.