PDA

View Full Version : '95 325ic: is this a good price?

Daddyoh
01-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I going to see a '95 325ic I saw in the paper today:
"58,923 mi., 2 dr sports car, 5 spd. Red / blk top, very good condition - $9,600."

I talked to the guy. He's selling it for an estate. 1 owner, garage kept. Nearly new tires. Bought new for about $40 k. Still has sticker....

What do you think? I'm thinking it's too much, but I'm still new at this game. I could make an offer.....
Can you help?
Many thanks,

boltsm3
01-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I would go lower in price myself, say 8000

Daddyoh
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I agree. Thanks. But what I really want is what you got........;)
Anybody else with a comment?

Brashland
01-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Do a quick KBB search or similar for a guideline as well.

Despite the age the mileage sounds incredible. If it's been maintained well that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

magic1
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Thats a VERY good price If anything try to bring it down to 9k

Daddyoh
01-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Well I went to see this car, and it IS in very good condition. There's one small dent in the nose panel, and the plastic rear window has a 1/2 in. crack in it at the crease location, on the edge.
Tires are Michelin a/s H rated, but nearly new.
Very, very stock. No fogs. But the interior is nearly perfect. Seats are still soft and clean.
Engine is barely audible when idling. Very smooth.
No rollover protection. I forgot to ask about traction.
I could only drive it around the neighbor hood since it doesnt have tags.
My '92 is pre-Vanos, so I wanted to see if I could tell a difference, and I couldnt. The car actually seemed a little sluggish in performance, but probably needs a very good "blowing out". It hasnt really been run since last May.
Kelly BB: $9,600; Edmuds: $7,000;
I know I could get it for $8K.
They're executors for an estate that has creditors screaming.
I have a notion to tell him I'll stroke a check for $7 or $7500.
I really don't need this car, and I can only imagine what unique care is required for a 'vert. But I hate to pass on a bargain.
I guess I'd have to keep it in the garage..........
Logic anyone?

dieseldriver99
01-06-2007, 11:08 AM
I doubt if he's willing to go below $9K, but who knows. Just ask him for the maintenance records, if can't come up with it, then I'd be using it to go down to $8500 the lowest. Ask him how many times he changed the coolant since he owned it. Also, ask him if he changed the brake fluid every two years. Water pump goes without saying. Ask him point blank, if he had the car broken down during his ownership, if hesitation, and well, uh, oh, could mean that he did not maintain it religiously, which of course means that you can further negotiate the price if you really like the car.

I going to see a '95 325ic I saw in the paper today:
"58,923 mi., 2 dr sports car, 5 spd. Red / blk top, very good condition - $9,600."

I talked to the guy. He's selling it for an estate. 1 owner, garage kept. Nearly new tires. Bought new for about $40 k. Still has sticker....

What do you think? I'm thinking it's too much, but I'm still new at this game. I could make an offer.....
Can you help?
Many thanks,

red97tj
01-06-2007, 11:35 AM
yeah i think it's a bit high even @ 8k. i just got myself a '95 318iC w/ 91k on the odometer for $3300. the 1 owner car was in miami so there was no rust & the interior was still good condition w/ normal 11yrs of wear as expected...there are minor problems such as the driver auto index doesn't work & there's a small oil leak at the oil filter housing (i'm thinking just gasket problem). and i did drive it home 1400 miles to michigan w/out any issues w/ the oil. the top as still okay w/ the rear window being slightly yellow but not ripped at all. also it came w/ a bmw hard top. so to take that into consideration, say do an engine/tranny swap to make mine a 325 for around 3k, it still less than 8k...
i say go for the gusto & low ball them @ 7k!!! good luck

Daddyoh
01-06-2007, 12:12 PM
This was a third vehicle for the owner, a lady who is now dead. That's why it's being handled by the executrix, who was the owner's best friend. I will be inquiring about the maintenance records, and the executrix already told me that it could probably would go for 8K because I've already introduced that idea. After one of you guys talk me in to it, I may go for the gusto. But a hard top would be ideal, of course. How difficult is it to find a hard top?

red97tj
01-06-2007, 01:25 PM
This was a third vehicle for the owner, a lady who is now dead. That's why it's being handled by the executrix, who was the owner's best friend. I will be inquiring about the maintenance records, and the executrix already told me that it could probably would go for 8K because I've already introduced that idea. After one of you guys talk me in to it, I may go for the gusto. But a hard top would be ideal, of course. How difficult is it to find a hard top?

so is this a bidding thing or if you name the "right" price, he's willing to sell it? if it's a bidding thing, then it's kinda up in the air since who know who's going to show up for it. i would still low ball him!!! it's not like he's going to care too much if it's 1k more or less...this is in the interest of the bank, not his personal car & ofcourse the old lady is gone so it's not in her interest anymore...
as for the hard top, i didn't even know there was such a thing since i never saw a bmw w/ a hard top, lots of mb but not bmw...so my guess is as good as yours!!! i'm sure it was expensive option at the stealership since it's actually a metal top, not a fiberglass one...and i do like it a lot...no wind buffetting on the highway!!!
also fyi, i normally use edmunds.com to see what the tmv (true market value) for a vehicle is. there are lots of people out there that think their sh*t is worth so much more than it actually does.
good luck!!!

palomino
01-06-2007, 05:07 PM
How difficult is it to find a hard top?
they come and go on craigslist. youre lucky that red is a fairly common color, so you should be able to find a red one for sale within a few months. dont be afraid to make an offer for just the hardtop to people that are selling their car together with the hardtop. thats how i got mine. also, be willing to make a long drive for one too.

it will be difficult to find one below $1200, most go for around $1500.

there more of them floating around on the east coast than on the west coast, so at least you have that going in your favor.

youll also need to pick up the hardtop install kit from the dealer. its about $120 and contains the mounting holes for the top to fit securely as well as the electrical connections for the lights and defroster.

Daddyoh
01-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Thank you all very much for your help. Palomino, I see now it will take patience. I'll start the search just for giggles. I'd say the pricing will not be unreasonable for the benefit. That option would make the purchase of the car much more practical, since right now it's tough to justify. However, my son has a Civic with 160K on it, and I dont see much justification in putting money in to that one..........
I look forward to talking more with you folks. Thanks again!

palomino
01-07-2007, 03:49 PM
i was looking on craigslist for one (search under: 'bmw hardtop' and also: 'bmw hard top') and theres a guy selling a red e36 with hardtop in CT, might want to give that guy a try.

i made the mistake of offering $1400 for mine, and the guy didnt seem to know what it worth. he also didnt know a whole lot about his car to begin with though. he was selling a beat up 325 as an M3 and he had mismatched wheels on it. :confused

i probably could have gotten it for $1000 or less :banghead:

01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
depends where you are. it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. here in houston i see nice ones from 9500 to 13000. sounds like it may be in better condition than mine. dont think i would hold my breath for a 3300 dollar low mile car.

Daddyoh
01-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks. I'll look up the CT top.
When I searched earlier for craigslist it looked like only the bay area was on the site.
What, no $3300??? Well, that's OK I guess.....
But I'm excited about the top. However, I'm in the process of changing my fuel filter right now, but my replacement looks longer than the existing. I'm replacing with a Bosch 0 450 905 201 from Bimmerparts.com
Think I'll be OK? The replacement filter picture on Pelican looks longer too.
Many thanks.

dieseldriver99
01-07-2007, 04:49 PM
$3300? That's a good price but you have to do homework to find out the net gain on what you're buying. I'd compare against other VERTS in similar mileage and the year and try to find out why the lowballing...

When I searched earlier for craigslist it looked like only the bay area was on the site.
What, no $3300??? Well, that's OK I guess.....
But I'm excited about the top. However, I'm in the process of changing my fuel filter right now, but my replacement looks longer than the existing. I'm replacing with a Bosch 0 450 905 201 from Bimmerparts.com
Think I'll be OK? The replacement filter picture on Pelican looks longer too.
Many thanks.

Daddyoh
01-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey 882001, your 95 has rear headrests. The one I'm looking at doesn't. Did they add these mid-year? Although, the paperwork I looked at had '95, but the book in the glove compartment was for '94. I guess it was an early '95?

01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
it may not have role over procection, if it doesnt have headrests. are there plastic covers about where the headrests would be??

mikese36
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah not all 95,s have the rollover protection.Mine dont but I know of a 95 318ic that does.

red97tj
01-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah not all 95,s have the rollover protection.Mine dont but I know of a 95 318ic that does.

yeah, my 318ic does...i'm surprised that's an option!!!

However, my son has a Civic with 160K on it, and I dont see much justification in putting money in to that one..........

hold on there, the civic engine just got broken in...it still has plenty of life in it!!! i'm inherited my mom's car w/ 200k & the car was just burning a bit of oil...i wanted more power so i swapped in a jdm engine, kinda like swapping in an m3 engine in a normal 318 or 325. i've been a honda fan for a few years now & there are plenty of support out there for hondas for cheap since they're so popular. so i wouldn't junk it unless there are lots of cancer on it...

palomino
01-08-2007, 12:24 AM
off to the right side of craigslist, there should be a list of locations to select from.

i believe it was still an option until 96 or 97, when it became standard equipment.

Daddyoh
01-08-2007, 12:46 AM
yeah, my 318ic does...i'm surprised that's an option!!!

hold on there, the civic engine just got broken in...it still has plenty of life in it!!! i'm inherited my mom's car w/ 200k & the car was just burning a bit of oil...i wanted more power so i swapped in a jdm engine, kinda like swapping in an m3 engine in a normal 318 or 325. i've been a honda fan for a few years now & there are plenty of support out there for hondas for cheap since they're so popular. so i wouldn't junk it unless there are lots of cancer on it...

Well red97tj, that's what my son has been talking about. He has headers and a CAI on it and it actually doesnt run too bad. But it's really using oil now, and he just called me and said his temp gauge went up for no obvious reason. He was completing a 3 1/2 hr. trip. It has some cancer around the rear wheel wells, and is dented here and there. Paint is dull. Very little clutch. He talks about importing a jdm for a very low price???
Oh well.... he thinks the stock black lower trim on the E36 is ugly.

Daddyoh
01-08-2007, 12:51 AM
it may not have role over procection, if it doesnt have headrests. are there plastic covers about where the headrests would be??

I didnt notice any plastic covers, but I wasnt looking ...but I had read Palomino's notice about rollover protection, so I noticed that.

Palomino, thanks for the craigslist tip. I'll look at that tomorrow:embarrasm

amancuso
01-08-2007, 09:19 AM
... he thinks the stock black lower trim on the E36 is ugly.

That one is easy, should have bought a 96 or better, problem solved! ;)

Daddyoh
01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
That one is easy, should have bought a 96 or better, problem solved! ;)
Agreed. And since I havnt bought yet, I'm not ugly yet! It's just hard to pass on one owner and 59k miles.:stickoutt

Cyrix2k
01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I bought my '96 318ic for $5300 inspected. It had the leather package, new tires, pads, rotors, and an upgraded stereo. It also had the sticker. I won a hard top with the rear window defroster and interior lights on eBay for $900.

Daddyoh
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I bought my '96 318ic for $5300 inspected. It had the leather package, new tires, pads, rotors, and an upgraded stereo. It also had the sticker. I won a hard top with the rear window defroster and interior lights on eBay for $900.

That's more like what I need to do, if I do anything at all.
So, we're basically in the same neighborhood. Are you a part of any Bimmer organization, formal or informal?

Cyrix2k
01-08-2007, 04:56 PM
no, I'm just a member of this forum. I'll probably join the BMW CCA at some point though.

palomino
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM

that is a rare deal. good job! :thumbup:

red97tj
01-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Well red97tj, that's what my son has been talking about. He has headers and a CAI on it and it actually doesnt run too bad. But it's really using oil now, and he just called me and said his temp gauge went up for no obvious reason. He was completing a 3 1/2 hr. trip. It has some cancer around the rear wheel wells, and is dented here and there. Paint is dull. Very little clutch. He talks about importing a jdm for a very low price???
Oh well.... he thinks the stock black lower trim on the E36 is ugly.

sounds like the thermostat or water pump has gone bad (thermostat is very simple...now the water pump is a bit more involved)...when i did my jdm zc swap, i kept getting overheating problem, i finally tracked it down to a plugged radiator, even thought the radiator was less than a year old.
what year is the car btw?
if your son wants to fix up the car, i would suggest either a jdm motor (depending on his car year) or a newer motor or rebuild it & turbo it. it's easy...you can spend around 1k & get a decent setup that you put together...
so for $2-2.5k (motor & suspension upgrade) your son will get the satisfaction of working on the car & the big smile of blowing a lot of cars out there on the road for cheap!!!

Daddyoh
01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
sounds like the thermostat or water pump has gone bad (thermostat is very simple...now the water pump is a bit more involved)...when i did my jdm zc swap, i kept getting overheating problem, i finally tracked it down to a plugged radiator, even thought the radiator was less than a year old.
what year is the car btw?
if your son wants to fix up the car, i would suggest either a jdm motor (depending on his car year) or a newer motor or rebuild it & turbo it. it's easy...you can spend around 1k & get a decent setup that you put together...
so for $2-2.5k (motor & suspension upgrade) your son will get the satisfaction of working on the car & the big smile of blowing a lot of cars out there on the road for cheap!!!

It's a 94 EX. Thank you for your input.
It didnt get in to the red, about half-way there from normal. He has a long trip home tomorrow, and I warned him not to go in to the red.......
Oil and coolant were OK.
We'll see. I want that smile too, with my '92:alright
Anyway, I'll pass this along to him.
Thanks again....

Brashland
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
i believe it was still an option until 96 or 97, when it became standard equipment.

???

I have a 99 and don't think I have rollover protection.