PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: shipping to Canada

G. P. Burdell
01-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Hello all,

I'm about to ship a wheel via FedEx from the U.S. to an individual in Canada, and I have a question. Who pays the customs fees, taxes, etc. - me or the buyer?

In a nutshell, what fees do I pay in addition to shipping on my end, and what fees does the buyer pay on his end?

Thanks in advance for your help!

sildergu
01-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Not having shipped anything, but having received lots of stuff, I can tell you that the buyer pays customs, taxes, etc.

I can't say if FedEx will charge you anything extra.

LEVOC///MPower
01-08-2003, 02:57 AM
buyer pays all.. You as the shipper only has to pay shipping charges. In fact on the FEDEX Airway bill, there is a sectoin where you fill in who pays duties etc..
Shipper or receiver. You can choose.

zenon
01-08-2003, 04:05 AM
I made my 1st US->Canada purchase, it happened to be a gift so I told the company (for post christmas return hassles) in case it didn't fit... On the tag it said "gift" or something similar and I never paid duty:dunno

Another thing you can have put on is "Warranty" I've done a warranty shipping across the border and never was charged duty.

For the next while I'm always going to say everything's a gift and see how much duty I get dinged :fingerscrossed:

G. P. Burdell
01-10-2003, 06:45 PM
I verified with the local UPS counter that all I pay is shipping, and the buyer takes care of all of the other fees.

The sale fell through, but I appreciate everyone's help.

Cyrus
01-22-2003, 11:05 PM
ups is the worst way to send.
you not only get screwed for 14% taxes, you get another 10-15% for customs brockerage fees.
I once got some m3 mats and had to pay something like $60 in fees.

best way is USPS, declared as gift, with low declaration of price.

Greco540
01-23-2003, 09:59 AM
If you are buying something from the states, the best/easiest way to not pay any duties is to have the seller mail you the invoice seperately and to mark on the package warranty repair. Brokerage firms can not charge you 2 times on the same product, so by putting a warranty repair ont he waybill your telling them i already paid duties on this crap...