PDA

View Full Version : Window squeaks when raising/lowering

sotavento
12-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi,
my driver side window squeaks badly when I'm opening/closing it.
Probably needs some kind of lubricant. Any recommendations on what to do would be appreciated.

palomino
12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
do you have tinted windows?

mine didnt start doing it until i got my windows tinted. i think it might have something to do with the dots on the edge of the window being covered, but i honestly have no idea what causes the problem.

98estorilm3
12-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Happens to me to and ive tried lubricating it and it only goes away for a little. I just tinted my windows but it did it before also. Anyone help on this?

MParallel
12-18-2006, 07:53 AM
It's the "b-pillar" rubber.

This also causes the window not to go up all the way sometimes when using the one-touch function.

You can adjust the rake of the window.

dieseldriver99
12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Light dab of silicone grease?

Hi,
Probably needs some kind of lubricant. Any recommendations on what to do would be appreciated.

Christophe
12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey guys.

The rubber gaskets/seals on the rear side windows need to be changed. I tried all kinds of lube and tricks. It all eventually wears out because of age and the constant rubbing on the gaskets as the car drives.

These are left and right specific seals under part numbers 51368135365 and 51368135366, and cost about 20 bucks each. Believe me when I say to you....the 10 mins per side of removing the old, cleaning the surface, and installing the new.....IS MORE THAN WORTH THE MONEY to stop the squeeks.

The only other thing that could cause a squeek when the window goes up and down are the seals on the inside and outside of the door itself. I replaced these in the spring. They are side and location (inner / outer) specific and take about 20 mins per side to replace....again worth the $40 per side. These are the black seals that frame the window as it goes up and down in the door. Changing these will also tighten your window's rigidity if you have some lateral play in it. Mine did a wobble of about 3/4 of an inch...not any longer. FITs like a glove.

palomino
12-19-2006, 12:02 AM
are you referring to the hard, black strips that are attatched to the rear windows? i didnt think they came off.

MParallel
12-19-2006, 04:29 AM
are you referring to the hard, black strips that are attatched to the rear windows? i didnt think they came off.

Now that would be something!

Yes they can be replaced.

palomino
12-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Now that would be something!

Yes they can be replaced.

It's the "b-pillar" rubber.

who knows what you are talking about, since there is no rubber on the rear windows.

:dunno

mr1m54u
12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
All, I just picked up a 97 328iC and I have noticed that since a rain in San Diego last weekend, my passenger window "squeaks" when it is rolled up all the way. It doesn't squeak going up or down (probably because my windows aren't tinted). Does anyone recommend a lubricant to stop the squeaking? It stops when I barely roll down the passenger window. But obviously, I don't want to have to do this. FYI, my driver window does not squeak at all.

Thanks,

-M

MParallel
12-20-2006, 08:17 PM
who knows what you are talking about, since there is no rubber on the rear windows.

:dunno

Rear windows...I mean the rear side windows with that. "B-pillar" was the giveaway. ;)

mr1m54u
12-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Seriously! I posted a question but think I got an answer myself before getting a response back on this forum. This is what I did. As I stated in my post, since the rain in San Diego last Saturday, my passenger side window started squeaking like crazy (with convertable roof closed of course). On my way out tonight to grab some ever so great sushi downtown, I looked over and grabbed a can of "Chain Lube" (it's Silicon lubricant) that I use on my 2001 Ducati Dark Monster to lubricate my chain. I decided to take a clean cotton cloth and spray on the cloth the lubricant and then rubbed the rubber seal that is located between the passenger main window and the small rear window. I also ran it across the top of the actual window (just in case). Guess what????????????

NO MORE SQUEAL!!!!!

Not to say that it may not come up again but it didn't make a SOUND both going to downtown and returning home!

Hope this helps! I got the lubricant at GP Motorcycles on "G" street.

Best,

-M

MParallel
12-21-2006, 04:00 AM
^^

Nice find. I don't longer have my bike (rare GSX-R 400 R SPII) but still have half a can of chainlube left.

Gonna try that tonight.

mr1m54u
12-22-2006, 11:35 AM
^^

Nice find. I don't longer have my bike (rare GSX-R 400 R SPII) but still have half a can of chainlube left.

Gonna try that tonight.

Just curious.

MParallel
12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Just curious.

Forgot about it, but will do tonight, if I don't forget it again :)

dieseldriver99
12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I read in the manual that they need talcum powder or silicon grease.

Hi,

t2xsignals
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Olive oil does the trick

t2xsignals
01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry let me expand on that last comment, put some olive oil on a cloth and or cotten bud and lube all around your rubber seals for the windows,far better than any grease or sylican gel. And its bio degradeable. Worked great on my vert. cheers Ray, ps great site !st post ever 19198 328i mtec sport, teckno violet ,and i love it .Roll on summer!!!!!

palomino
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
old thread, but interesting and useful info.

welcome.