PDA

View Full Version : HK speaker blown

dieseldriver99
12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Ha, I found out that the kick panel speaker is okay, it's the Midrange on the door pane with HK written on it. Any place I can get the same speaker, and how do I replace that speaker? I figured, I would need to remove the entire panel on the driver's side to do this?

Also, I used a technique which haven't don it a while, its very technical, I used the BALANCE control all the way to RIGHT. Fount out that the staticky sound was coming from LEFT. Balanced it all the way to LEFT, and listed to all speakers by putting a ear over it. Voila! It's the Midrange!

docross
12-15-2006, 03:40 PM
turn your radio down cheese nut

dieseldriver99
12-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Turn the radio down you says? Did you just call me a nut? You are going on my Ignore list. Have no idea who you are, and personally, you need to learn to be polite when you don't know someone.

MParallel
12-15-2006, 04:47 PM

Some constructive and usefull direction would be nice.

But we'll remember it next time you have a problem.

Chris325i
12-15-2006, 11:23 PM
I replaced mine, there are only 2 sources since they are an odd size. Buy new ones from your dealer, about $90 each, or replacement speakers from this place: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=489/_cid=323 at $100 per pair. The BSW speakers require you to reuse the grilles, but not hard to take apart at least on the later E36 models.

Used ones come up on Ebay sometimes, but they go for $$$ and no guarantee.

If one midrange is blown, the other one is probably not far behind.

palomino
12-15-2006, 11:29 PM
youd have gotten better replies by searching in the main e36 section since this is not a vert-specific problem.

dieseldriver99
12-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Chris,

Thanks for the info. Does the BSW Midranges drop right in, without modifications? I am a bit apprehensive about removing the door panels, reminds me of the GM days :(

Thanks,
DD99

I replaced mine, there are only 2 sources since they are an odd size. Buy new ones from your dealer, about $90 each, or replacement speakers from this place: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=489/_cid=323 at $100 per pair. The BSW speakers require you to reuse the grilles, but not hard to take apart at least on the later E36 models.

Used ones come up on Ebay sometimes, but they go for $$$ and no guarantee.

If one midrange is blown, the other one is probably not far behind.

Chris325i
12-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Yes, mine is a 99 323ic so I'd guess a 99 328ic would be the same. You have to remove the door panels (not too hard, couple of screws and a bunch of plastic clips...get some spares from the dealer since you will probably break some) and then the speaker housing unscrews from the back. You have to remove the speaker from the housing, just held in with a couple of plastic prongs.

The BSW speakers come with a short harness and butt splice connectors, since the connectors are different. Just clip off the old connectors and crimp the new ones on. The new speakers will clip into the speaker housing, but the old back plate doesn't fit any more. Some have used RTV or the like to secure the speakers but I thought the clips held them well enough.

I also had to re-glue the top inside of the door panels after removing the panels; hard to describe but at the top of the panel there is a plastic strip that the door clips go into. This tends to separate from the door panel itself. I used 3M weatherstrip contact cement and it has been holding fine.

TheLiquidChild
12-18-2006, 12:07 AM
...I am a bit apprehensive about removing the door panels, reminds me of the GM days :(...

And you damn well should be! <jk> I had to pop them off my 325 to fix the window mechanism. Not a big deal, just get yourself a handful of the panel clips before hand because 50% of those suckers are designed to break every time you take the panel off. You inspired me, I think after the holiday season I'm going to replace mine. I've just been keeping the sound at 90% rear and 10% front until I got the motivation to swap 'em. :redspot

CT Sean
12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Another vote for the BSW midranges. I got them and they sound very good and will definitely last a while, unlike a set of HK replacements.