PDA

View Full Version : Leading edge roof trim problem

MParallel
12-13-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a piece of trim that is loose and that's because a clip is broken, however, there's more involved.

The trimpiece I am talking about is on the leading edge of the roof. So it's not the piece of trim on the A-pillar.

Now this piece of trim on the roof, which covers its entire width, also extends a little bit to the back, so this is above the front doorwindows when closed.

That part above the window is loose on mine. It's fitted to the roof by a plastic clip. So you'd think that replacing the clip is the sollution.

Sadly, it's not.

What I found out is that when the roof is folded down, on the very last bit, when the roof goes into the stowage part, there's tension created on the leading edge and thus the plastic trim. This causes the trim to want to come off, which it has done.
Worst part is that the clip is glued onto (or this was done later by previous owner), which means only held in place by "clicking" it into position. This will unclip it everytime the roof is folded down.

I think the main problem is the entire roof being operated by 2 matal beams on only one side. So the leverage from the roof on the side that doesn't have the beam must me tremendous.

So I wonder, am I the only one with this problem? It it common and possible, was there ever a BMW TSB published regarding this issue?

This piece of trim has been loose since I got the car and it's just one of these minor things that spoil the overall feel of the car.

Here's the bad version. You can see the part above the front side windows is sagging
http://www.idon-industries.com/bimmer/rooftrim_bad.jpg

Now when I push it back, it's how it should be:
http://www.idon-industries.com/bimmer/rooftrim_good.jpg
But as the clip is knackered, one speedbump or just anything that makes the car wobble, it comes back down.
And it's not just a case of a new clip, as explained.

texas319
12-13-2006, 01:24 PM
my roof doesnt even look like that

MParallel
12-13-2006, 02:17 PM

I also asked on the UK based forum I'm always on.

A few peeps there also had never seen this kind of trim.

REALOEM also seems to only show a rectangular piece, without the side extensions.

All I can say it I have a fully-auto roof, don't know if that has anything to do with it, but maybe it does.

amancuso
12-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey, mine had the same thing happen.... on mine, the clip came unattached from the long part. so I had to plastic cement it in. There should be a small metal dowel pin that attaches to the "clip" to keep it locked into the trim piece. (you should see the small hole in the clip where it goes)

-Al.

PS after you fix it, you should take care when folding the top, I usually have to push the fabric headliner in towards the outer part of the top before it retracts back into the storage area. I can do this while seated in the drivers seat with little problem.

amancuso
12-13-2006, 02:46 PM

Do you have the fully automatic top or the semi auto top?

That could be the difference.

laserdude
12-13-2006, 04:32 PM
I had the same problem on my 323. It was that way when I bought it. Stealer said had to buy the whole front cover piece at some ridiculous price. I put some velcro up behind the piece and another matching piece on the headliner and it's been holding steady ever since.....:D

MParallel
12-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem on my 323. It was that way when I bought it. Stealer said had to buy the whole front cover piece at some ridiculous price. I put some velcro up behind the piece and another matching piece on the headliner and it's been holding steady ever since.....:D

Hmm wouldn't thought velcro would hold it! Or is there something like Industrial Strenght velcro?

amancuso (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=48209): That pin is an anti-rattle pin (which it does a poor job at) and had nothing to do with the pin keeping in place or anything.

Same on mine though: clip broke at the trim side. This is obvisouly a weak spot (which side did it happen on?)

I will get a new clip and then find some Industrial issue glue or ...plastic cement? Interesting. Care to eliborate on that? vbmenu_register("postmenu_8162993", true);

98estorilm3
12-13-2006, 05:28 PM
same thing happened on my car too. But i cant even snap the clip back into place because the part on the headliner where it is is worn. I tried all kinds of glue and clamped it on so it would dry tight. I used gorilla glue on it and it held until i lowered the top and it "pushed" it off again. Now i make sure my top doesnt bunch in the corner when its down. If you stop the top halfway into lowering and look in between the canvas and headliner on the side u will see a tiny fabric strap that needs to be attached on both places. push out that part of canvas so the tiny strap is tight and the top will fold correct when lowered and wont push out that clip
Definatly needs pics. Im willing to get some
someone needs to host them or whatever u need to do and illl take detailed pics

I also wanna hear more about that velcro idea. Sounds good.

98estorilm3
12-13-2006, 06:00 PM
just took some pics and am trying out the velcro

laserdude
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Hmm wouldn't thought velcro would hold it! Or is there something like Industrial Strenght velcro?

amancuso (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=48209): That pin is an anti-rattle pin (which it does a poor job at) and had nothing to do with the pin keeping in place or anything.

Same on mine though: clip broke at the trim side. This is obvisouly a weak spot (which side did it happen on?)

I will get a new clip and then find some Industrial issue glue or ...plastic cement? Interesting. Care to eliborate on that? vbmenu_register("postmenu_8162993", true);
Yes, you can get industrial type velcro.

98estorilm3
12-13-2006, 06:42 PM
hmm i tried it with normal velcro....i hope it works

amancuso
12-14-2006, 09:24 AM
anti rattle pin hrmm... oh well, it keeps mine in place so I shan't complain!

98estorilm3
12-14-2006, 05:48 PM
yea...i took the pin out to glue the velcro to and attached the other side of velcro to the headliner and went away to let it dry. Came out to check if it was dry and wasnt paying attention and stepped on the white clip and pin. Completely broke it. This sucks

doulos4jc
12-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Had the same problem too. Tried to glue broken clip/fastner, opened and closed top one time and it did not hold. I did stumble on a ghetto fix though. I drilled a small hole in the trim with the hopes of securing it with a screw. Couldn't get that to work either. I finally used the hole and a black zip tie to fix it...works great and only looks minorly ghetto, as I am the only one who would ever notice it.

MParallel
12-14-2006, 07:39 PM
yea...i took the pin out to glue the velcro to and attached the other side of velcro to the headliner and went away to let it dry. Came out to check if it was dry and wasnt paying attention and stepped on the white clip and pin. Completely broke it. This sucks

Tough luck!

But glue the velcro one? Doesn't it have superstrong sticky tape?

I can image now, the velcro holding on, but the glue now being the week part.

Today I folded down the roof (which cracked my rear screen in half, which already had a smaller crack that I taped togethter) (Such an expensive car when new and you get a plastic screen!)
Too bad hard top prices are extreme right now.

Anyways, with the roof in the compartment, I tried to get the trim in place. Well there's so much tension on it, that you really have to push hard to get it right.
So if glue is the solution, it must really be SUPERstrong (like glue that would hold the wings of a 747 to its fuselage :D )

Lifting up the roof did make a difference, so if only I could adjust (maybe) the pull/push rod that does the lowering so that it lowers just a little bit less...lots less tension on the trim.

MParallel
12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
... as I am the only one who would ever notice it.

That's my weakness. I know little things on my car, that no one would be bothered about that drives me insane knowing they are there!

doulos4jc
12-14-2006, 07:48 PM
That's my weakness. I know little things on my car, that no one would be bothered about that drives me insane knowing they are there!I am forced to agree with you :stickoutt I'll post a pic, doesn't look too bad, not perfect though. I can say that piece of trim has not budged since.

ntv
05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Hello all,

I know this is an old thread, but I have this same problem.

Has anyone figured out any new fixes since december?

thanks in advance,

-ntv

burnsms
10-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I am having the same problem, and a bit worse. The front center plastic piece on my wifes car is crumbling. The sides have no clips either. Does anyone know the part number for the side clips and the front piece? It looks like you can replace just the front center piece and not the whole piece from side to side.

Thanks,

Mike

99 323i

MParallel
10-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Center piece? Not sure what you mean, but I have looked into this moew than a year ago. You can't just get the clips, only the complete trim, which on mine, goes all the way from side to side.

burnsms
10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
From realoem.com it looks like I need p/n 54348206397, which goes all the way across and has the clips on the sides. I guess the center section (the handle part) is not a seperate piece and not replaceable.

Does anyone have a picture of what the side clips look like? I could probably fab something up to repair the center part, but I will need to figure out how to support the sides. I will have to look at it again to see how velcro would work.

Hake
06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Anyone have any updates fixes for this? I am having the same problem?

lightflyer1
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a fully auto top and the same problem. I guess I will look for some super, super glue and have a go at it. I have been ignoring it for now.

MParallel
06-18-2009, 08:53 AM
There's not really a good fix. You could get a new trimplate, but is expensive and who knows how long the new one will stay good.

Shame you can't just bey a new clip. And I refuse to drill through it and put some metal wire there.

If I can't fix it with industrial grade glue or velcro, I might as well just cut off the parts that are above the side windows completely. It doesn't really hide anything apart from a small piece of frame above the front window.

Even when you fix it, fold down the roof one time and chances are...it will come right off again.

I have hardly taken my hardtop off the last 1.5 years so I haven't looked into it anymore.

Hake
06-18-2009, 09:12 AM
"I have hardly taken my hardtop off the last 1.5 years so I haven't looked into it anymore."

What!!!??? You have a convertible, why would you not take it off?

libravcs
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I had the same issue. Passenger side only. Ended up drilling a small hole and using a thin zip tie. Works perfectly, not noticed by anyone who has ever gotten into the car. Also my Vert is a garage queen so to speak. Has only seen rain twice in the last 2.5 years. So the top is down 90% of the time. I plan to remove the zip tie, get a small thin piece of sheet metal or something, place the thin piece of sheet metal up above the headliner for support, then use a black screw to go where the ziptie was and use the hole in the sheetmetal for support. (sheetmetal piece would replace the plastic white clip that breaks). I would probably put a matching screw over on the drivers side just to ensure it matched the passenger side.

One day I'll do that..but for now. The thin ziptie works..and no one notices.

Also..I cant believe Mparallel has a Vert...that has barely had the top down in 1.5 years. WTF.

jbomz3
06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Anyone have any updates fixes for this? I am having the same problem?

I had exactly the same problem as Mparallel when i 1st got my 323 with fully auto roof last oct' , and after a few days mine was hanging off on the drivers side (i'm always lowering an raising the roof that's what rag-tops are for) so i removed the panel completely , someone had had a go before each clip/hook was encased in about a 2inch cube of hot melt glue , there's the blanking plate over the front motor , and the clip/hook either side and about 8/10 small screws from the back through the headlining fabric , you need to lower the roof partway to get to these and what i did was get some tinnerman clips to go on the locator on the roof frame and self tapping screws and drilled a small hole through the trim panel where the clip/hook should be . Then when i fastened it back with the black self tappers you hardly notice the screw heads when your sat underneath them . I'll post some pic's if you like and list what screws and stuff i used .

I had the same issue. Passenger side only. Ended up drilling a small hole and using a thin zip tie. Works perfectly, not noticed by anyone who has ever gotten into the car. Also my Vert is a garage queen so to speak. Has only seen rain twice in the last 2.5 years. So the top is down 90% of the time. I plan to remove the zip tie, get a small thin piece of sheet metal or something, place the thin piece of sheet metal up above the headliner for support, then use a black screw to go where the ziptie was and use the hole in the sheetmetal for support. (sheetmetal piece would replace the plastic white clip that breaks). I would probably put a matching screw over on the drivers side just to ensure it matched the passenger side.

One day I'll do that..but for now. The thin ziptie works..and no one notices.

Also..I cant believe Mparallel has a Vert...that has barely had the top down in 1.5 years. WTF.

I used 3.5mm clips , this type of thing http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/41/a8/9948_1.JPG

and 4.2mm flanged head self tappers of 25mm length , hasn't moved since , and isn't noticeable .

Everybody to their own , but my previous owners tool of choice was hotmelt glue and i mean on everything , even the number pletes , they're drilled for screws so what does he do ? yep glues them on .

MParallel
06-18-2009, 01:31 PM

It's been down all the time. ;)

jbomz3
06-18-2009, 02:31 PM

So as mine . I went and fetched a hardtop on sunday , and spent monday adapting my z3 hardtop cradle to fit an e36 , a bit longer and a hell of a lot more weight on the front end . Then i can use my electric winch to put my hardtop on and off .

libravcs
06-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Sorry. I meant the installation of your hard top/not enjoying open air motoring much over the last 1.5 years. To each his own..but why have a vert..if you arent going to enjoy open air motoring?

jbomz3
06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
There's nothing better to put a smile on your face than having the roof down i think , but then again i've had 5 ragtops 2 of which have been bm's . :cool

BMW1999M3FL
04-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I know this is an older post, but I just happen to have my convertible plastic front cover fall down (part number 54348206397). I am the fourth owner, and when I bought it two years ago, the side clips were already detached from the plastic panel. One of the previous owners attempted to glue the one on the passenger side, but the driver side he used a plastic screw which he also attempted to glue. Neither glue held well, and the plastic panel was always annoying hanging low and people would hit their heads against it putting more strain on the part. I found out that this part is held by three pieces. The side clips and the center part which just cracked recently. I have NOT been able to find the center plastic piece part number (54348232925) sold separately, so it seems that I need to buy the entire cover piece! Well for now, I used 1 min epoxy glue on the side clips to reattach (glue) them to the cover, and I used hot glue (which is not perfect) to fix the more important center piece. I will have to epoxy that one too.
If anyone finds a way to buy 54348232925 separately, please let me know!

MParallel
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
What center piece? The extra piece that is on the large trimplate? Where you can manually engage the latch motor?

110reef
04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Yes, I had the center piece crack as well. (I have already previously stated my opinion of the grade of plastic in my car...) Anyway, you have to replace the entire trim piece, which costs like $250. When I installed my new piece, the tab on one end broke off pretty much immediately, which really made me angry. And I could never get the trim piece to sit exactly right, either the old one or the new one.

Then later I changed the canvas on my top, and did not re-install the headliner. Suddenly, the trim piece fit like a glove for the first time. So, I am thinking that the headliner messes up the fit of the trim piece. Anyway, the whole thing is a poor design, IMO, being held up by 1 screw and 2 plastic tabs, on a piece that gets quite a bit of stress as the top is lowered, raised and stowed.

apatrizi
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I can't believe this post has been going for almost 4 years. I think the new top installer broke my center cover when he tightened the center screw inside the handle and made the first stress crack...You can't buy this handle separately, and used has been a problem as it seems to break when sellers have tried to remove it.
My solution holds it together but has continued to get worse...I just won't look up at it!!! I think I may have added a picture, if not you are not missing anything.... Some creative member should make a nice brushed flat black aluminum piece..

MParallel
05-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Holy screws Batman! There shouldn't be any visible screw in that trim piece At All!

Dominic321
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Mine is starting to have the same problem man.

lightflyer1
05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
I fixed mine. I removed the pin in the little white nylon looking fitting and removed it. It had been re glued at least once before. I found the glue recommended here. I put some on the area on the flap where it was going and some on the white fitting itself. Put it back in place on the flap and added some more glue around the fitting itself and the flap. Dried overnight. Put the little retaining pins back in in the morning and not had a problem since. They fit nice and tight now. Holding for over 4 months so far.

diverdad69
02-19-2011, 10:46 PM
i'd like to know the glue that was used to repair this clip. sad part is mine is missing. what i did to fix it is, i fabricated an L shaped piece of stainless steel also a T shaped piece, cut a small slot where it is suppose to be, drilled a hole for the pin to hold it up. i havent decided if i'm going to devcon it in place or leave it removable. if i decon it ill bondo or smooth it out to make it look factory, paint it etc. it will be permanent and wont break again. weak link now is the cover. i can send pics if any one is interested along with specs to make one yourself.

tierneyj
11-17-2023, 07:44 AM
Hello all,

I know this is an old thread, but I have this same problem.

Has anyone figured out any new fixes since december?

thanks in advance,

-ntv

https://www.ebay.de/itm/235229847965?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=44i53FtUT7O&sssrc=2051273&ssuid=44i53FtUT7O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY