PDA

View Full Version : Battery Hold-down

dieseldriver99
12-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Folks,

I'll share with you with something I did today on a non-BMW battery, the Interstate battery that came with the car.

So I think we all agree that the OEM battery usually cost more since it's probably built to last, and also because it has the "BMW' name on it.

But, my car came with the battery and I am not about to spend $130 for a dealer-sold battery. The only problem with an non-OEM battery is that it does not have the correct "LIP" to hold-down the battery. And hate to see the battery moving around while I am in a hight-speed manuveurs.

Here's what I did: I first used a drill tap and punched a tiny hold as a guid for the drill. Then, used a 1/8" drill and drilled holes in the three areas on the side of the battery. Got one of those three tab push-in type battery lip I got when I bought a VW battery. I think they sell them at the dealer. Shouldn't cost that much.

Then, I took the two hold-downs and turnd the metal piece so that it "grabs" the new blue plastic lips. Tightend the holddown bolts using the socket wrech with 2 ft' extension and a universal link which allowed me to ratchet at an angle.

Now the battery is held down tight onto the anti-vibration plate.

I am happy now, it's held down quite good so it should not "play" in the battery housing.

Just something I wanted to share in case you do not have the OEM battery.