PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top care

Brashland
12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Alright everyone: list all products you use to keep your top in shape, how often, and any you would suggest avoiding.

When I first got my car and the canvas top wasn't repelling water like it should I called the local convertible top repair shop to ask what they suggested to use. A very snotty secretary told me "You should't put ANYTHING on a convertible top. You'll just ruin it." I told her that the BMW manual says that the top should be treated at least once a year. "Well that's just rediculous!" :rolleyes

amancuso
12-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I just use soap and water. Mine seems to be holding up fine.

nordique14
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Raggtop works great. They have a cleaner and a protectant. You should use them once a year. The cleaner removes all the gunk on the top and the protectant helps the water bead on the top instead of absorbing into the fabric. Very good stuff.

kingfish
12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
i spot clean it with sponge and water. i don't wet it every time i clean the car. soap may fade the color so i just stick to water.http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/robertodimaano/CIMG0447.jpg

palomino
12-06-2006, 07:09 PM
even if you get some sort of repellant to put on it, it will still absorb water in a heavy storm.

jasontn
12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Nice ride Kingfish!

HGS
12-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Raggtop once a year. See the water bead !

Brashland
12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Raggtop works great. They have a cleaner and a protectant. You should use them once a year. The cleaner removes all the gunk on the top and the protectant helps the water bead on the top instead of absorbing into the fabric. Very good stuff.

Same here althought I found my cleaner bottle has lasted about 3x as longer as my waterproofer. Typically I spot clean the top when necessary and otherwise use a shop brush.

For the window I use Bluemagic Plastic and Plexiglass Cleaner (I think that's what it's called).

To help protect the window I apply some cling tint to the outside and replace it every year. Scratches can prematurely cloud the plastic and with the tint on the outside the tint is scratched instead.

MParallel
12-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I use the Autoglym Cabrio Kit.

Contains a weird sponge, a fabric cleaner and a water repellant.

Use twice a year (spring and autumn) and you should be fine.

DarkVader
12-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Raggtop once a year. See the water bead !

This stuff is good...the same company makes a cleaner u wash the top with.

bigbilly
12-18-2006, 05:59 PM
My 98's top started leaking badly this summer. I tried some of the 303 waterproofing treatment and was frustrated that it didn't seem to work.

Then I noticed that the stitching came out of two of the three lines across the top. I'm guessing the thread just died over time - the Florida sun doesn't help.

I've typically just used standard shampoo and a lambswool mitt if the top is really dirty, or just hose it off otherwise. I used a fairly stiff scrub brush as a prep for the 303 and that may have hosed this.

Anyone ever try re-stitching these, or should I just give up and go with a new top?

BB

clsk1
12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Anyone ever try re-stitching these, or should I just give up and go with a new top?

BB
I wonder this too, the stitching on the vent area thing by my passenger window came out. Tempted to try to stick it myself with some high strength thread

jasontn
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Same here...couple of lines left...rest is gone.

fish4stripers
12-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey , Just bought a convertible. Guy I bought it off of says he used 303 high tech fabric guard. Beads up nice, he swore by it for his boat canvas also.

bigbilly
12-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah - the 303 seemed to work great for me. My problem was that my top had holes where the stitching used to be. I don't expect waterproofing to fix a hole. :D

BTW - welcom to the forums, fish. :wave