PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Installfest!

volfman
12-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Yes, You read that right!

When: Saturday, January 11th
Where: TBA - somewhere in San Jose probably.
Why: We can rent one tool, split the cost, help each other with installation.

This tool is the E36 REMOVAL/INSTALL tool that's on koalamotorsport.com

We haven't found out if its available yet, and just want to know how many people would be interested.

Lets hear it folks!!

ToneCapone
12-22-2002, 09:34 PM
I'm in on this.

Let's do it!

volfman
12-22-2002, 11:16 PM
BUMP!!!

MKS
12-23-2002, 12:00 AM
Sounds good to me!!! Are you going with GC inserts or Powerflex or something else?

volfman
12-23-2002, 12:09 AM
ToneCapone and I both have GC inserts w/stock bushings... we'll have both the removal tool (needed no matter what bushings you are replacing with) and the installation tool (which I hear is only needed for stock or GC inserts.

I think we might be doing this in Livermore.

ToneCapone
12-23-2002, 03:29 AM
MKS,

Just curious, which bushings are you going with?

volfman
12-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Just reserved the tool for the 11th!! First 2 cars are $63 for the tool, and Brett asked that we pay $15 per car after that because of wear and tear. So far we have three people interested, so that'll cost $63 + $15 + $15(return shipping) = 93 split up between 3 people, is only $31.

With 4 people it will cost $27
With 5 people it will cost $24.60

Lets hear the interest people! I should actually have the tool for two weekends, since brett's going out of town and sending it to me on the 30th.

Sacramento M3
12-23-2002, 04:16 PM
Is this to replace the rear trailing arm bushings? I have an OEM set I'd like to put in. Let me make sure we're all talking about the same bushing. Mine is a gold piece of metal that looks like a barrel shape with a rubber insert inside, fits in the palm of my hand. This is what you guys are putting in???

ToneCapone
12-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Sacramento M3
Is this to replace the rear trailing arm bushings? I have an OEM set I'd like to put in. Let me make sure we're all talking about the same bushing. Mine is a gold piece of metal that looks like a barrel shape with a rubber insert inside, fits in the palm of my hand. This is what you guys are putting in???

The rear trailing arm bushing connects the front of the rear trailing arm to the chassis via a front trailing arm bracket. If you have a Bentley, there a good pic on page 330-9.

I have only seen the 96+ M3 units, which are rubber with a aluminum surround and center sleeve. About 2.25" in diameter and 2" thick.

umnitza
12-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Livermore!!! Hmmm...wonder where :devillook:

I'm in - have video camera - will travel:)

TiAg ///M3/4
12-23-2002, 05:27 PM
I'm in! Got the RTABs right here. Now I just need to get the inserts in time.

Now, if we can do the same for front control arms & bushings ... :D

Sacramento M3
12-23-2002, 06:11 PM
I hear what Bill is saying, I've got the front control arm bushings to put in as well :)

volfman
12-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Regarding the front control arm bushings, here is what you do.

Put new bushing in the freezer overnight. Next morning, disconnect the control arm, remove the sleve that the bushing is in. Cut the old bushing out (no idea how :) ), then put the sleeve into the oven for 20 minutes.

Use a vice to press new bushing inside the sleeve. Use a hammer to lightly tap all around to make sure its in evenly.

Put sleve back in control arm.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just read it somewhere on this forum. If you want to get the tool from Koala motorsport, I might be able to arrange that as well.. there are seperate removal and installation tools for the control arms. If there is enough demand maybe I'll see what we can do.

So far Bill and SacramentoM3 wants to do it. I'm pretty sure Tony (ToneCapone) will want to as well. Maybe we'll convince umnitza to actually do *SOMETHING* to his car for a change :)

Again, the tool we have reserved is for the REAR TRAILING ARM BUSHING (a.k.a. Rear Toe Bushing) on ALL E36's. Apparantley there are two seperate types of (stock) RTABs on E36's and we will have *both* tools there, no matter what kind of bushing you will be putting in.

One last thing: This thing is turning into somewhat of an event. I've managed to talk a local dealer into "sponsoring" this event. He will bring some of his goodies, along with coupons for his products, and offer free installation of his products. More details to follow in a few days.. Ah yes, and he's bringing free FOOD

ToneCapone
12-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Damn Roman, you're really on top of things!

As far as the front control arm bushings, I'm up to do those as well. However, I have the Powerflexes to put in, which require drilling and tapping the bushing and sleeve. More tools, ugh.

volfman
12-24-2002, 12:10 AM
Haha, thanks Tony. Tools? Not a problem... our "sponsor" will bring a bunch of his tools and the person in who's garage we will be has a bunch of tools as well.... Also, anyone in that area (Livermore, i think) know any good (not super expensive) alignment shops? Maybe we can get some sort of group discount since we'll all need alignments after both RTAB bushings and Control arm bushings... *sigh* more money...

And now i caught the track bug too....

donations welcome: paypal: volfman@hotmail.com

ToneCapone
12-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Haha good luck with the paypal!

Be sure to pass on thank yous to Erik and our "sponsor" for me.

Look forward to meeting you all on the 11th.

umnitza
12-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Sponsor :devillook

volfman
12-28-2002, 07:20 PM
bumpity bump!

Anyone else interested?

RE: control arm bushings... freeze your new bushings in the freezer overnight.. this should compress them.. then we can heat up the carrier in the oven for 20 minutes and that'll expand it.. then use a vice to press bushing into carrier.. and use a hammer to make sure its in evenly...

Comments?

mace
12-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Damn I would be so interested in this GB because my RTABs are shot and I have a new set. Unfortunately, I am located in Los Angeles. Maybe you guys can ship it to me after it's done and I'll ship it back to Koala once I am done? I'll chip in and pay my part if u guys trust me.

volfman
12-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Drive up.. leave at 6.. u'll be there by 11... be home by 8.

:) And we won't have enough time to ship and give u time to finish and get it back to koala.. plus shipping will cost a fortune...

mace
12-28-2002, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a good idea but I need to make sure that I can do an alignment afterwards. Driving back with no alignment done will kill my tires quick and very unsafe. When's the deadline to send in the $$$ Roman?

volfman
12-29-2002, 02:44 AM
No deadline.. just show up with check/money order.. or cash if you really need to... We're gonna try and find an alignment shop that could take care of us as we finish each car.

umnitza
12-29-2002, 03:57 AM
Roman, do you accept credit cards :stickoutt:

mace - I've officially done the trip to and from San Marcos in one day on 3 separate occassions.

It's hard to do.

Leave @5am, not 6, you'll be here by 10:00 no problem.

Sleep at least 8 hours the night before.

Leave here no later than 6-7pm, drive with a friend.

volfman
12-29-2002, 04:16 AM
I could swing credit cards, but it'll cost you guys 3% extra.

Erik@EDGE
12-31-2002, 04:42 PM
UMMMMM, Umnitza, where is MY sponsorship????:dunno

There are pleny of OK alignment shops around here. I can get a group rate at the Big O in Dublin, but that's about it. I may be able to swing a place in Livermore, but that is uncertain. Keep in mind that the best way to do this is assembly line fashion, with multiple cars jacked up at once. That means if you have a floor jack and or jack stands bring them.

volfman
12-31-2002, 05:20 PM
I think we`ll cap this at maybe 5 people... you think we`ll be able to do it Erik

sorry, no question marks cuz i`m in montreal at the moment and this computer is frenchified... so i can`t do a bunch of keys lol...

damn canadians

Jim O.
12-31-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by volfman
RE: control arm bushings... freeze your new bushings in the freezer overnight.. this should compress them.. then we can heat up the carrier in the oven for 20 minutes and that'll expand it.. then use a vice to press bushing into carrier.. and use a hammer to make sure its in evenly...
You'll need to pack your control arm bushings in ice for the trip over to Erik's, until you can get them into Erik's freezer. Dry ice may be even better...

When and were is this going to be? If I'm not busy, I may drop by to help out - I don't need my bushings done, since they aren't rubber anyway...

Jim

Erik@EDGE
12-31-2002, 06:04 PM
Jim, this will be at my house, I'd love to have you here. Bring your impact gun and some jackstands if you have them!

umnitza
12-31-2002, 06:26 PM
Way to go JIM!!!
Good to see you again - looking forward to it:)

Sponsorship - hmmmm...right, *writing onto 8th page of single spaced 8pt font of things to do*

TiAg ///M3/4
12-31-2002, 07:09 PM
Right on! Stoked to see you guys there.

By the way, I only got a partial shipment of stock control arm bushings, so I picked up a set of Powerflex for 'em. While I was at it, I snagged some Pflex's for the RTA, so I'll have an extra set of stock trailing arm bushings if someone needs 'em. I *may* have a set of front control arm bushings (stock, concentric) if the rest of the shipment comes in time.

Roman, are you going to be coming up from Santa Cruz, too?

ToneCapone
01-01-2003, 05:50 PM
I think we`ll cap this at maybe 5 people... you think we`ll be able to do it Erik

sorry, no question marks cuz i`m in montreal at the moment and this computer is frenchified... so i can`t do a bunch of keys lol...

damn canadians

Roman,

The French use question marks, just like us man. What are you doing in Montreal?

To confirm:

Jan. 11th at Erik's house. Bring jack and jackstands. Ice the stock rubber bushings.

What time are we shooting for?

Should we get e-mailed or PM'd directions?

How much do each of us need to chip in for the tool?

How much (ballpark figure) for alignment?

Thanks guys, sorry if I'm early on this, just trying to get everything sorted out.

Erik@EDGE
01-01-2003, 05:59 PM
OK, for the fronts, no tool will be required (just my vice). For the rear Powerflex style (2 piece with sleeve) no tool will be required.

**If you guys have STOCK REAR BUSHINGS, they are gonna require some kind of press or gear puller-type deal to install. Unfortunately, that tool I do not have.

The rear piece that the bushing goes into would need to be removed from the car to install the bushing with my vice. That's a larger job than you guys (or I) want to do.

So, someone either needs to get the tool or we will not be doing any STOCK rear bushing installs. Anybody got one??

Erik@EDGE
01-01-2003, 05:59 PM
as for the address, once Volfman has the list of the attendees, we'll get it to you via email or PM.

mace
01-01-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm in on this Installfest. Just one question though, the RTAB tool that volfman is getting from Koala can be used in conjunction with the stock rubber RTABs right? I am putting in new stock rubbers.

Erik@EDGE
01-01-2003, 08:38 PM
If he has the tool it works with the stockers. Aftermarket bushings don't require an install tool

808Cardinal87
01-02-2003, 06:23 PM
For the alignments you guys should call Roger Kraus in Castro Valley. It's only 10-15 mins from Livermore right off of 580. I haven't taken my car to him yet, but I've heard he's pretty good.

Roger Kraus Tire Inc.
2896 Grove Way
Castro Valley
(510)582-5031

Erik@EDGE
01-02-2003, 09:32 PM
He is very good. I mark the location of the rear carriers, so I if you can't get an alignment that day, don't sweat it, you won't chew anything up driving for a few days

Keith
01-03-2003, 09:39 AM
This sounds pretty cool to come watch and I can bring my floor jack and stands if you need them.
Let me know on the jack and stands, or if it's ok to come hang out.

Hey, are you going to Dave & Busters this weekend, Jay and I are meeting at Nordstrom's at 10:15am, be good to see ya!

Keith:cool:

e28Jay
01-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Erik!

This sounds like a good tech write up for the site. If you want I will bring the digicam and snap pictures of the process. Then we can work on a write up some time after, if you are down? Let me know and I'll bring some brews and the cam!

Jay

Erik@EDGE
01-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Welcome Keith. I don't know if I'll be there on Saturday or not. May stop by Nordys. I already have "Car Time" planned for Sunday, and the wife only allows one day a weekend. I am going to go help renovate the SCCA motorhome on Sunday so it is ready for our first event on the 26th.

umnitza
01-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Hey Jay,

I'll be there doing some digi camming and video taping as well.

Erik@EDGE
01-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Yup, I got my camera also. I am figuring on being more like a lamaze coach than a mechanic on the 11th, though I know I'll end up doing a bunch of the work. Everyone is welcome to come by and hang out, just be respectful of my neighbors and all...

We'll tear up as many cars as we can!

umnitza
01-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Erik,
I just talked to a customer for an E36 DDE install;)
Talk later about details:D

Dinanify
01-03-2003, 12:33 PM
this sounds tempting, I just changed out my differential recently, and I now need an alignment, and I KNOW my trailing arm bushings are shot. No need to do one without the other.

Is there a local place (bay area) to get the Poly bushings? (powerflex, etc). I'm tired of the stock ones wearing out really quick. I see that you can order them online, just curious if they're available locally.

Let me know if there is a spot for me, I'd love to not have to pay full price to have someone else do this and I trying to get the bushing apart and together again..., thinking I don't have the tools to do this.

-Ben

Erik@EDGE
01-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Those are the PITA's right!???

Erik@EDGE
01-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Ground control can get you the reinforcement plates quickly. They are supposed to work well witht he stock buchings

Erik@EDGE
01-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Check your mail and also, did you get the tool confirmed yet? Otherwise the stockers are impossible.

Also, if you can't get the tool, we'll need a sawzall to make the job go faster.

Sombody email me if they have a sawzall, otherwise I can buy one, and you guys can all owe me:devillook

M Rob
01-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Official Sponsor for InstallFest '03: MPact Motorsports

I am happy to annouce that MPact Motorsports will be sponsoring the InstallFest on 1/11.

There will be food!
There will be prizes!
There will be great discounts brake pads!

AND we will be officially launching "Saturday Upgrade Days". A service where you can have your BMW upgrades installed while you watch all for 1/2 off normal shop rates. You can even just come to watch and learn.

Come on the 11th to find out more details!

I look forward to seeing you all!

Rob Birkhead, Principal
MPact Motorsports

kitwetzler
01-03-2003, 01:15 PM
I have a sawZall, but will need some blades for it, and I can get a tool to do the bushings if you are putting stockish ones in, but I'll have to drop by the hardware store.

Let me know how many people need to install stock bushings.

BiMaW
01-03-2003, 06:40 PM
i can come by and help out. I've done quite a few R&Rs for the FCA bushings and RTA bushings.

note: you may need a torch if the RTA bushings are seized on to the RTA, and a grinder/dremel if installing powerflex bushings to fit into the bracket.

Erik@EDGE
01-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Cool!! Kit if you come, please throw my stock headlights in your car! Hope to see you guys there!!!

Jim O.
01-04-2003, 05:37 AM
If you guys are looking for a place to get an alignment after the bushings are done, you might want to get in touch with either Jack Chew at Motorsport Techniques or Barry Spencer at Spencer's European to see if either is open on Saturdays. Both are in Hayward (15-20 minutes away), and both do pretty good alignments at a reasonable price.

Also, I saw that someone was looking for Powerflex bushings locally - you might want to try Conversion Techniques in Oakland. I think they had some in stock the last time I went by.

Jim

Dinan330ic
01-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Damnit, i need to do this, but i'll be back in college... ARGH!!!

jmargo
01-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Can you use the GC reinforcements and powerflex bushings ?
Is that just overkill.
How much do the reinforcements go for?
Is there reinforcements for the sub frame bushings also ?
Jason
Just want to get all my ducks in a row.

Jim O.
01-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Got a question for anyone with a new set of trailing arm bushings sitting around waiting to be installed - can you do some measurements for me? I need to know the following:

1. Diameter of the bushing (the diameter of the part that goes into the arm)
2. Diameter of the outer "lip" of the bushing
3. When you look at the side of the bushing, IIRC, the rubber has a shallow part - the part that you cut through with a sawzall. I need to know the diameter of the lowest part of this groove.
4. Diameter of the hole in the middle of the bushing.

I'd also like to know this info for the front control arm bushings, both centered and offset, if anyone has a set kicking around.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim O.
01-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by jmargo
Can you use the GC reinforcements and powerflex bushings ?
No.

How much do the reinforcements go for?

Something like 60 bucks. Check GC's web site.

Is there reinforcements for the sub frame bushings also ?

No. Powerflex makes replacement polyurethane subframe bushings, but there's nothing like the GC bushing spacers for the subframe.

One other comment. What GC sells are spacers, designed to limit the lateral movement of the trailing arm in the carrier. They are not "reinforcements" - they do not make the trailing arm bushing any stronger or more robust.

Jim

jmargo
01-04-2003, 02:48 PM
I am now smarter...Thanks for the info.
Jason

volfman
01-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Hey guys... Sorry i haven`t been around... Still in Montreal, but I`m coming home tommorrow (Sunday), with home being San Diego, then Driving up to Santa Cruz on Monday.... I have the tool reserved... its both an install and removal tool, and it should only take like 15 minutes for removal and another 15 for installation once the wheels are off and stuff.

I`ll double check everything on monday to make sure everythiung arrives on time. We`re probably only going to be able to get 5-6 cars done, depending on how long it takes.

Also, Erik is being very very generous with his tools and expertise, so please don`t forget to drop a few bucks in the `tip` jar... or else just bring him enough beer so he`ll forget about not being paid :)

These are the first five people that were interested:

Me
Tony (ToneCapone)
MKS
SacramentoM3
Bill (TiAg something or other :) )

ALl you guys please drop me an email with your confirmation so we can be sure that you definatley get yours done. The rest, in this order...

John (mace)
Ben (Dinanify)

Well you guys should show up and plan on getting your stuff installed too, I think we can probably swing your installs to.

Everyone I`ve mentioned, please drop me an email with your full name, email address, and phone number... and maybe your car info ... just so i have some info and what not...

email address:
roman at keystreams.com

Erik, I`ll give you a call early next week.

Erik@EDGE
01-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Cool. If the tool works well and can be powered by air (gotta love the compressor) it should be pretty quick. MRob and Jim O. are both pretty mechanically inclined, I would assume some others are also.

Roman, I forwarded you a message from a guy who was interested. Did he make it on the list?

Looks like the weather forcast is a good one. Should be about 60 degrees. I can get two cars in the garage and about 6 in the driveway, so we can probably hit a bunch of these.

I told MRob he could bring hot dogs and we'll fire up the grill.

mace
01-04-2003, 09:17 PM
I was wondering if it's alright for me to have the UUC TMEs installed along with the RTABs? :rolleyes:

Erik@EDGE
01-04-2003, 09:26 PM
If we have time the TMEs are fine. That'll require a BIG tip...:-)

Dinanify
01-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Hey volfman, I'm waiting to see if this guy is going to buy my speakers (was supposed to come by yesterday, but didn't), if he does, I'll buy the bushings as soon as he does, and hopefully the timing will work out for me to make it and get this done with you guys, would be fun. I'm just a bit short on cash right now...

I'll post / email as soon as I know...

-Ben

volfman
01-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Erik,

Its not an air tool. Regardless should be pretty straight forward.

volfman
01-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Looks like we're screwed. Brett Anderson of Koala Motorsports seems to have gone racing until January 14th, and it doesn't look like he'll be shipping me the tool. He was supposed to get the shipping address from me before the 31st but that never happened.

So now the question is, who knows the procedure without the tool, can we do it with Erik's tools, and will it take way longer than we expected?

Erik@EDGE
01-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Kit Wetzler mentioned that he had an idea for a tool. It can be done without the tool, it just takes a lot longer. We'll definitely need a sawzall, bring your portable drills, etc. This will make removal much slower, install of stockers will be much slower as well. We'll do as many as we can! Jim O. is signed on for sure, so that will help. I will try to manufacture an install tool this week, it won't help with the removal, but it'll help some....

Jim O.
01-06-2003, 01:11 PM
I've done the job without the special install tool, too - it's a lot more work, takes longer, but isn't exactly rocket science. I have some ideas for tools to help with the install/removal, but can't do anything unless someone gives me the measurements I asked for earlier in this thread. Seems to me that ONE of you guys planning on getting this done must have the bushings right there, and can do some measuring - doesn't seem much to ask.

Maybe you guys who want this done should go to a tool rental place (Home Depot now rents tools, too...) and rent a Sawzall or two, and buy a bunch of blades. With all you're saving on the installation, a sawzall rental shouldn't be too expensive.

Jim

kitwetzler
01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
I've done this before, and I just bought a 3.5" metal end cap from the hardware store. It pretty much worked as well as the special tool and you can use airtools on it, as long as you use proper eye protection, and strong bolts, etc. I used it on my roommate's car.

I have a sawzall, too. Just remember that this will mean we can only do one car at a time, though. I don't think it'd be possible to get through 14 bushings on 7 cars in one day. Also, if we use mine, I'd like whomever uses it to buy me some blades, because we'll go through a few. (using the sawzall on the rubber bushing pretty much trashes the blades.)

Did you guys check with Chester Wong? I think he had that tool for rent as well. chester_p_wong@yahoo.com

I think the thing to do would be to have everyone jack up their cars and drop the trailing arm mounts, and then I can come around and zap out the bushings with the sawZall. Just remember, the SawZall will take a finger or limb off without even thinking about it, so I hope everyone has medical insurance. :D

Erik@EDGE
01-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I should have everyone sign a non-liability waiver before we work on any cars. Just to be safe. I may purchase an airsaw also, since that would work pretty well.

Jim, I sent you the dimentions for the pflex bushing I have sitting here, that should help. I'll make up an install tool also one night this week

mace
01-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 95 MPWR
If we have time the TMEs are fine. That'll require a BIG tip...:-)
Good thing I have some Smirnoffs laying around ... :)

Originally posted by Jim O.
Got a question for anyone with a new set of trailing arm bushings sitting around waiting to be installed - can you do some measurements for me? I need to know the following:

3. When you look at the side of the bushing, IIRC, the rubber has a shallow part - the part that you cut through with a sawzall. I need to know the diameter of the lowest part of this groove.

I'd also like to know this info for the front control arm bushings, both centered and offset, if anyone has a set kicking around.

Thanks,
Jim
I have the RTB sitting right here.

1. I've never seen how the bushing looks like when it goes into the arm. Where should I measure it?
2. Please describe it more.
3. Do you mean the 2 slits (one on each side) that cuts through the metal part?
4. The hole is 1.2 mm.

volfman
01-06-2003, 01:35 PM
I emailed chester about it, lets hope he gets back to me. We might still be able to get the tool from him in time. Anyway, time to drive up the I-5 to the bay area with my car loaded with crap (including a 3 1/2 ton hydraulic jack)...

hopefully i won't be riding around on my bumpstops ...

mace
01-06-2003, 01:41 PM
volfman, lemme know how it goes. I'll be doing the same thing in ~ 5 days. :D

Jim O.
01-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mace

1. I've never seen how the bushing looks like when it goes into the arm. Where should I measure it?
The bushing is a cylinder, with metal on the outside, then rubber,then a steel tube in the middle. If I remember correctly, the metal outside has a lip on one side, and is smooth on the other - the smooth side goes into the trailing arm. I need to know the diameter of the metal outside, both on the side with the lip, and the smooth side.

3. Do you mean the 2 slits (one on each side) that cuts through the metal part?Nope. When you look at the side of the bushing (like you're looking through the steel tube), look at the rubber between the inner steel tube, and the outer metal shell. I thought the rubber had grooves molded into it - I need to know the diameter of the groove where the rubber is thinnest.

4. The hole is 1.2 mm.
Sorry, but that can't be - that's way too small. 1.2mm is around 1/16 of an inch...Do you mean 12mm?

Jim

M Rob
01-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Jim O.,

Shot you an email a couple days ago, let me know if you got it. I know I've been having trouble getting mail to you.

Rob

jsp98m3
01-06-2003, 01:55 PM
I do believe that the 95 has different outside diameter measuremetns than the 96+ M3s. I won't swear to that and I have no idea about non-M's. Might be worth checking....

Erik@EDGE
01-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Roman, check you mail. Thanks for the advice, Jim, that's a good point

Erik@EDGE
01-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Roman, check you mail. Thanks for the advice, Jim, that's a good point

Erik@EDGE
01-06-2003, 02:20 PM
actuall, Roman, Call my cell when you get a chance

mace
01-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Jim O.

Thanks,
Jim
Ok, I'll try it again.

1. 60mm.
2. 5mm. (About the outer lip, both sides of the bushing have lips on them, there is no smooth side.)
3. 49mm.
4. Sorry, I meant 12mm.

BTW, this is for the stock rubber RTAB for 95 M3.
Hope this helps Jim. Thanks.

Jim O.
01-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Cool! Thanks for the data. Anyone have the measurements for the 96+ bushing? Or for the 32x?

Jim

TiAg ///M3/4
01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
If: a) I'm reading the right areas b) this is in fact a bushing for a 96+ and c) this ruler isn't jacked up ...

1) 60mm excluding outer "lip", which is only on one end of my bushing.
2) 77mm including outer "lip".
3) I can't get a measurement with this ruler, but it seems to be less on this bushing, call it 35mm.
4) 12mm

There's bound to be a little bit of play in #2 & 3, but it should be close enough for government work. I can try to get a better ruler tonight if more precision is needed.

volfman
01-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Guys,

I just want to re-iterate a few things.

1.) Do *NOT* expect to come on saturday and have other people do anything for you. You will most probably be doing about 98% of the work yourself.

2.) We will probably *not* be able to get the tool in time. This means we're doing it the "Pain In The Ass". This also means that it will take alot of time, and you shouldn't expect to get yours done unless you're one of the first 3 or maybe 4 people that said you're coming.

3.) Erik and Jim are going to be there to *Supervise* and *Help*.. I can't stress this enough.. they will NOT be doing the whole R&R for you. Don't even think it! you bastards.... :)

TiAg ///M3/4
01-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Will it help if we had another saw there? I could pick up an el cheapo faux Sawzall from Home Depot for $50 if it would help out.

I wonder if Rennwerks in Mountain View has the tool and would let us rent it, since they're not open on the weekends. Perhaps someone could call them? I'm superbusy during work hours this week or I'd try to set it up.

Erik@EDGE
01-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Right then! Bill, another saw may help, but there is a Home Depot about 1 mile from my house, so if we need it someone can go rent one cheap.

It would be helpful to have lots of extra blades and such, though.

volfman
01-08-2003, 11:39 AM
The tool is on the way. Should be shipping out today via fed-ex 2 day air. I will bring it on Saturday.

This means we can probably get many more cars done. Nevertheless, I suppose it'll still be first come first served, but we'll try to get everyone done.

Bring beer! Bring cash! Bring some girls in bikinis to wash our cars afterwards! :boobies Oh, and of course, Bring your desire to work on your car and help others too :D

Erik@EDGE
01-08-2003, 11:45 AM
The tool will make all of our lives easier. Get their early so we can get as many done as possible.

Girls in Bikinis are a great idea. Any takers???

volfman
01-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Maybe the girls in bikinis should be taken care of by our sponsors? :devillook

Erik@EDGE
01-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Excellent Idea!

ToneCapone
01-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Whew, the tool is back in the picture!

How'd you get it Roman? Did you get his wife to ship it out? hehe

volfman
01-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Nah, I got it from Chester. Unfortunatley he charges way more per extra car... so I'm still negotiating with him about that. Regardless it'll be less than $50 a person.

mace
01-08-2003, 01:47 PM
That's weird, last time I emailed him, he said it would be $50 + $15 shipping. He did say that there was a long line in front of me, so I had to wait. This was about 2-3 months ago. Nonetheless, good work Roman! :clap:

volfman
01-08-2003, 02:44 PM
its $50 + $20 shipping, but thats for one car. Since we're doing it on 5-6, it'll cost more. I could have just not told him how many, but that would be unethical (see the business morals thread in OT)... I know these tools get worn out real quick, so its only fair to pay for what we use.

Regardless, it'll be cheaper than renting it on your own, plus we'll have free food and drinks thanks to MPact Motorsports (M Rob), and expertise thanks to Erik and Jim!....

Not to mention how much we're saving from the $tealer labor fees, or even an independent shop.

TiAg ///M3/4
01-08-2003, 02:45 PM
NICE! Great news, Roman.

See you guys Saturday morning, beer in hand ...

volfman
01-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Now that I think about it, I'd prefer that everyone brought checks/money orders for the tool rental instead of cash.

It'll come to be $75 + $35/car after that. This does not include return shipping (another $15). Breakdown is as follows:

2 cars - $125, so $62.50 each.
3 cars - $160, so $53.00 each.
4 cars - $195, so $48.75 each.
5 cars - $230, so $46.00 each.

We should have at least 5 people.
etc..

Oh, and please don't bitch about the price, we're lucky to be able to get it on such short notice from Chester since it didn't work out with Koala.

Dinanify
01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
The dude never bought my speakers, so,i'm still low on cash to be able to do this. I'll have to bow out. Good luck to all of you guys, I'll hope for nice weather...

volfman
01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Dinanify,

You should come by anyway, theres gonna be alot of people, and you could watch how other people do it so when you get to do it yourself, you'll know how.

Btw, what speakers are you selling?

Dinanify
01-08-2003, 06:53 PM
They're not car speakers, they're home speakers...B&W CDM7SE's, awesome home speakers, paid $900 each a few years ago, selling at least one pair, maybe two..., $1000 firm (per pair).

I'll see about coming by (good advice). Would someone send me directions?

douvoodoo@hotmail.com

Thanks!
-Ben

volfman
01-08-2003, 07:12 PM
We'll post the address/directions here either tommorrow or friday.

Jim O.
01-09-2003, 02:48 AM
What time is all of this going to start on Saturday, anyway? And who's bringing the Krispy Kremes? :)

Jim

ToneCapone
01-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Jim O.,

8am IIRC.

Dinan330ic
01-09-2003, 04:09 AM
Can someone video tape the procedure for me??? hehehe

I need to get this done, but have to go back to college today :(

Also, a write-up will be good.

Jim O.
01-09-2003, 05:32 AM
8AM on a Saturday morning? Sheesh, I didn't think there was life before 10.... OK, I guess I'll be there. Erik - we won't have any problems with your neighbors, making noise at that time, will we?

And Dinan325ic - there's a good writeup of the procedure on Bob Tunnell's web site.

Jim

Erik@EDGE
01-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Donuts would be appreciated.....We will put two cars in the garage and as many as 6 in the driveway. No work in the street. Please be careful in my neighborhood and keep the bass to a moderate level, especially if you arrive before 10am. There will be some cars parked in the court (mine and my wife's at least), so take a queue from how they are parked and park accordingly. The first six cars in the driveway are the first to get worked on. If we are amazingly lucky and fast, we can do more than that. Be prepared to help anyone on the grid, and expect that they will help you when theirs is done!

This will be a serious team effort, but as long as the weather holds out, it should be great!

e28Jay
01-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 95 MPWR

This will be a serious team effort, but as long as the weather holds out, it should be great!

Rain or Shine?

Erik@EDGE
01-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Rain or shine. If its raining, I only work in the garage, though!

No prob with noise at that time, Jim. I think that by the time people get there and we get the cars jacked up and wheels off, etc, it'll be a lot closer to 9am anyway.

It wont be as noise as me grining down my calipers with the air grinder at 7am before the last AutoX!!

Erik@EDGE
01-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Guys if any of you happen to have an old set of shocks laying around, I am looking for a pair of shock dust boots and bumpstops for my new Konis. PLEASE let me know if you have them and want to sell or donate them to me.

Thanks!

volfman
01-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Erik,

Good luck. I haven't found a set of dustcovers to fit on my rear Bilstein's yet. Stock ones won't fit because of the weird ass bumpstop that the stock covers have. a 95 318's bumpstop fit, but the dustcover won't go over the lip on my bilstein shocks.

Regardless, someone bring me some universal dust covers :)

Erik@EDGE
01-09-2003, 01:30 PM
If you have stockers, please bring them, Koni is designed to accept the stockers. Let me know, thanks.

I also want to talk to you Saturday about possibly hosting the BayBimmerz site.

volfman
01-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Sorry bud, I left them in San Diego. I might have the ones from the 318 in my trunk and i'll bring those. Btw, you know of anyone looking for H&R Sports for Non-M3 e36? I have a brand new set in my trunk and want to sell.

Erik@EDGE
01-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Hmmm, not off hand, but there will be a pretty big audience at the house on Saturday!

Dinanify
01-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey all, I was able to find a very likely buyer for my track wheels, so..., drove up to Conversion Techniques today and bought their last set of Rear Toe Bushings. Is this all I needed for parts?

2 sets of two bushings (2 per side), the have this medal cylinder (2 total), and lubricant (that comes with it. Just want to make sure I bought what I needed, $109...

I know I may not be able to get them done, but just curious how things are looking for tomorrow?

I haven't caught up on the thread, were you guys able to get the bmw tool for removing / installing?

Anyway, here's hoping for good weather...

-Ben

Dinanify,

You should come by anyway, theres gonna be alot of people, and you could watch how other people do it so when you get to do it yourself, you'll know how.

Btw, what speakers are you selling?

volfman
01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Yup, just an update here.

Recieved the tool today. Installfest, First thing tommorrow. 8am! Be there or be square! (wtf? sorry, I just woke up)

Later.

volfman
01-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Ben,

Yes you should definatley come, we should have time for everyone with the tool. Bring your checkbook. Btw, we'll have a signup sheet for the tool. We'll close the signups at 10:00: I think. I want to get a solid # of people using the tool so that we know how much everyone owes.

Otherwise if someone shows up and wants to use it, and we all already paid, then we all get screwed because we over paid... get it? Good.

Dinanify
01-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Sounds good, I'll be there (checkbook in hand).
-Ben

<8am in livermore, must leave San Jose at ...ugh...>

Dinanify
01-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey Erik, does this look like correct directions to your house from San Jose? (I'm off of Montague Expressway and 880)

Directions to the Rear Toe Bushing Install Fest

-880North toward Oakland 6 miles

-Merge onto MISSION BLVD/CA-262 E toward I-680/SACRAMENTO. 1.26 miles

I-680 N toward SACRAMENTO. 16.99 miles

Merge onto I-580 E toward STOCKTON. 7.64 miles

Take the PORTOLA AVENUE exit. 0.37 miles

Merge onto PORTOLA AVE/CR-J2. 0.03 miles

Turn RIGHT onto N MURRIETA BLVD. 0.21 miles

Turn RIGHT onto DEL NORTE DR. 0.34 miles

Turn RIGHT onto MENDOCINO RD. 0.04 miles

Total Estimated Time: Total Distance: 33.72 miles
39 minutes

mace
01-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Distance: 347.9 miles Approximate Travel Time: 5 hours 12 mins

1. Start on S GARFIELD AVE 0.3
2. Continue on N GARFIELD AVE 0.5
3. Continue on S GARFIELD AVE 0.2
4. Take the I-10 WEST ramp towards LOS ANGELES 0.3
5. Merge on I-10 WEST 5.2
6. Take the GOLDEN STATE FWY NORTH/I-5 NORTH exit towards SACRAMENTO 0.4
7. Merge on I-5 NORTH 310.3
8. Continue on I-580 WEST towards SAN FRANCISCO/TRACY 28.3
9. Take the N LIVERMORE AVE exit towards CENTRAL LIVERMORE 0.2
10. Turn Left on N LIVERMORE AVE 0.7
11. Turn Right on PORTOLA AVE 0.7
12. Turn Left on N MURRIETA BLVD 0.2
13. Turn Right on DEL NORTE DR 0.3
14. Turn Right on MENDOCINO RD 0.0
15. Turn Left on STETSON CT 0.0

Must...get...sleep...now... :sleep

volfman
01-11-2003, 12:28 AM
John,

Wow you're copming?> nice

Erik@EDGE
01-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Those directions look great. Call my cell if you need to

umnitza
01-11-2003, 12:24 PM
see you boys @ 12.

mace
01-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Sorry guys, my alarm clock didn't go off when it was supposed to at 2am so I didn't wake up until now. I sure hope the Installfest went well without me. :(

Dinanify
01-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Special thanks to EriK for hosting this, and to Jim O. for his lift and recommendation for the alignment.

Now, to find out more about how to get those holes fixed (sigh), ah well, it's drivable for now...

Thanks to everyone who was there, a great idea, and good time.

Bernman
01-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Looked like fun, I am only sorry I didn't get to stick around long enough to meet everyone :(

Hopefully next time my schedule will allow me to...

The BMW flag out front was a nice touch :)

umnitza
01-11-2003, 08:40 PM
it was an AWESOME event.
Kit, Jim, Erik, Scott, Keith, Vick, (Roman for putting most of this together) and anyone and everyone else that I didn't mention.

Thanks to ROB for sponsoring this event! AWESOME!!!

We need more of these.

volfman
01-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Yah, it was definatley a killer event. Except that some low lifes stole my 3.5 ton jack from the parking lot at the alignment shop. Fucking Hayward.

M Rob
01-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Thanks to everyone that showed! It was a great day. I am offering anyone that was there today 15% off your next brake pad purchase.

Stay tuned for the next upcoming event. Brake & Light Install day!!! Coming very soon.

Keith
01-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by M Rob
Thanks to everyone that showed! It was a great day. I am offering anyone that was there today 15% off your next brake pad purchase.

Stay tuned for the next upcoming event. Brake & Light Install day!!! Coming very soon.

Rob, if I send you the pictures I took today, can you post them, I don't know how?

Keith

M Rob
01-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Yep, send me pics! Anyone that has some from today, shoot them to me at rob@mpactmotorsports.com.

I will post a few here and will put all of them up on my website for all to see.

Keith
01-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by M Rob
Yep, send me pics! Anyone that has some from today, shoot them to me at rob@mpactmotorsports.com.

I will post a few here and will put all of them up on my website for all to see.

Rob, what website, let me know and pictures are on there way.

Thanks, Keith

volfman
01-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Was gonna offer to hsot the pics, but Rob's got his own site :devillook

M Rob
01-12-2003, 12:22 AM
The website is up! Check it out:

www.mpactmotorsports.com/installfest.htm

Send me more pics via email if you can.

TiAg ///M3/4
01-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Thanks again to everyone who showed up, especially the legions who lent a helping hand in taming my evil carriers & bushings. I had a great time, learned a lot, and the new RTB's are very well-behaved now that they've been beaten into submission.

Erik, my car is your beeyotch. Thanks for hosting and for the extra help, I appreciate it. "Powered by rage." Rock on.

Roman -- I got your message, that's messed up! I saw the car you were talking about ... next time we'd better bring the Marines. Maybe it's a sign that you need to get one of those killer blue jacks? Seriously, sorry to hear it, mano.

umnitza
01-12-2003, 03:29 AM
hey, if you find that car ever again - Jim Ochi lives in the area - you can have him go after them with his tools :biglaughb :D

I'll send you my photos just as soon as I find that damned USB cable:D

Erik@EDGE
01-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Bill, it was my pleasure making your car into my beeyotch. Gotta show those ladies who is boss!

Thanks to all who came out and helped: Jim O., Gordon W., KitWetzler and the rest of the gang.

We need to yell collectively at Dinanify to GO GET HIS CAR WELDED UP!!

I'll be posting some pics of torn bushings, and EVERY CAR had torn bushings except for one 97 that had 45k on it. That means that if you are driving around on your stockers, you probably need them replaced ASAP. Failing to replace the RTABs can and will result in torn mounting points, ala Dinanify's poor car. If you track or have a supercharger, this is even more important.

You have been warned! IF you are in the Bay Area and need an install at a reasonable price, email me. Dealers charge close to $450 for the R&R of RTABs, not including the alignment.

Sonic A
01-12-2003, 05:39 PM
I am definetely interested in another event like this. I called around 11:30 but you guys would have been done by the time i drove up from San JOse. Next time!

Bernman
01-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Yah, it was definatley a killer event. Except that some low lifes stole my 3.5 ton jack from the parking lot at the alignment shop. Fucking Hayward.

Sorry to hear about your jack :( but barring that incident, did the alignment shop do a good job? Would you trust them to do it again?

I need to do mine, but the place I went last time is a little far, and I would like to find someone closer to Fremont that is good. I know about custom alignment, purported to be one of the best, but they are across the bay and take a few weeks to get in...

Bernman (ready for the next "tech session"...)

volfman
01-13-2003, 10:06 PM
They seem to have done a good job. Jim O. highly recommends them .. but hell if I know anything about alignments :)

M Rob
01-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Try Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley. They do good work and have experience with M3s...I've used them quite a bit.

Bernman
01-13-2003, 11:06 PM
I went to Roger Krause the last two times. It seems like they did a good job, but there is some kind of problem with a pull to the left that they kind of shrugged and said "oh well" (actually they were nice about it, but did not have a solution). I have to say that they did spend a lot of time and seemed to know what they were doing. Maybe I have something weird with the offset control arm bushings that I installed.

I am willing to try a new place. Roman, what is the name of the place in Hayward, and how much did they charge? (if you don't mind me asking...)

Thanks for the help guys :)

Dinanify
01-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Hey all, I know this is a bit off topic..

Roman noticed my suspension is pretty shot (64k miles of hard driving).

What do you guys prefer for shock and spring combo's? Do you guys like the ground control suspenion setups for street use?

One of the guys who wants my wheels offered up a trade, he owns a shop back east, and can get some great deals on suspension.

Anyway, sound off guys :)

btw, Myself, Bill, and Lawrence I think it was went over to the other place in Hayward, something like Performance techniques, off of Wynton and 880? $80, and they were quick, and did a great job, asked the right questions, etc, what kind of setup I wanted....

volfman
01-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Yah the place was called Motorsport Techniques, not Performance Techniques. They charged $80 for a 4 wheel and charge $60 for a 2 wheel alignment.

Ask to speak with Jack Chew - he seems to be the resident alignment expert there.

Dinanfy, it was you, Bill, and Tony :) and then i showed up when you and tony were gone already.
About your suspension, you should ride in some people's cars before choosing. Saturday was your perfect opportunity :)

Dinanify
01-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Sorry about that Tony, for some reason when I was thinking back, I was thinking your name was Lawrence (doh!)

Those guys did a nice job with my alignment though (Motorsport Techniques).

Yeah, you're right Roman, I should have taken a ride to feel someone else's suspension.

Ah well, just yet another reason to get together and do this kind of thing again :)

volfman
01-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Ben,

I still can't forget my ride in your car.... I need to drive it next time :devillook

kitwetzler
01-14-2003, 04:13 PM
motorsport techniques is a great shop. Jack Chu has been doing my alignments for years and is one of the best guys in the area, and is cheap!

Anyone need brakes or HIDs installed? :D

Erik@EDGE
01-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Kit,

Don't be scamming on my new business!! J/K. Thanks again for your help Saturday!

volfman
01-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Kit,

I'll let you do my brakes and HIDs if you let me drive you car. For a few weeks. or Months.

I think the ride I took in it with Matt really ruined me... :( Rob warned me not to get in an M3....

damnit

M Rob
01-17-2003, 03:24 PM
InstallFest II has just been announced!

See http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=641889#post641889 for details.