PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first E55 AMG on the road

BAADDOG
03-04-2001, 07:43 PM
Yesterday was a beautiful sunny and warm, 50 degree day. The road was clean and dry for a perfect road race experience and I was itchin for a go.

I was heading North on 41 and just up in front was a MB black sedan E55 AMG. It was changing lanes rather quickly in traffic.

I speed up changed a couple of lanes to pull up beside the driver, who was now on my right. This guy was hunched up over the wheel and sitting almost on top of the wheel. The driver had white hair, thick glasses and was about 80 years old.

He couldn't even see me next to him. He was jus an old guy with a fast car that went no where. What a fookin disappointment for me and for that E55.

I cruised along side him for a while and then I realized he was driving about 45 mph and belongs in the senior citizens slow lane.

I then quickly cleared the zone and went on home.

I read Tommy's post and decided to share my disappointment with you that not all encounters end up in fun. I felt like I was all dressed up with no place to go.

gschomi
03-04-2001, 08:32 PM
Those are really sweet., to bad he did not want to run though. I saw a yellow Ferrari 512 last November while my son and i wre getting gas. The guy driving looked to be in his late 50s. It was so strange to see that car here in "hillbilly land" where most cars have cracked windshields and puff blue smoke. Anyways i had my Jeep at the time and there was no way i could have caught up to him in time. My son (and me ofcourse) really wanted to try and make him get on it. We did this a few years ago to a guy in a Viper. We pulled up next to him (in my Contour SVT, so no race there) doing 60mph on a 4 lane hwy and my son gave him a thumbs up. The guy smilled and nailed it. WOW!!! That thing has some serious power. He shot away like a rocket.

God i love cars.

C.Yang
03-04-2001, 09:05 PM
AMG does a nice job on their cars. My dad was considering a CLK55, but doesn't want to spend the 80k. It would be soooooo nice if he did. Saw a Brabus 43 today. It was pretty sweet too.

M3 Pete
03-05-2001, 02:17 PM
lots of E55's around here. The trick is to find one outside of rush hour so you can actually drive over 15 mph and see what they can do. I'm guessing that most people who buy the E55 over the M5 are more conservative and older. But I dont' know if the MB has the ridiculous dealer markup the BMW has.

GMat
03-05-2001, 02:38 PM
My dad is one of those 'older' more conservative people you guys are talking about who drives an e55 actually... Well hes politically conservative anyways.. =P My dad can drive the pants of most guys my age on a road course and has gotten a warning for going 198 in a 55 in montana last year! Gotta love the guy! ;)

Gluall@aol.com
03-05-2001, 03:49 PM
i raced on on an open stretch of 270(MD) He just kept on pulling on me....wow, that car must have gobs of torque. we went from about 55 to 130 at the end of that sprint he was easlily 10 lenghts in front of me.

A nice guy though, i caught up to him and we waved. I see him every so often in Rockville, and i guess he recognizes my car because he always looks over and smiles at me....or maybe he thinks im cute...i dunno.

just for a frame of refernce here are the relevant mods on my car as i can remember them:

K & N filter intake with heat shield
UUC Short Shifter w/erk
Lightened Flywheel AA gen II
ACS Exhaust
Shark Injected

GMat
03-05-2001, 06:52 PM
Gluall is that realy you on the left? I would have guessed gilbert godfried (sp?) anyone else see this resemblence in the pic or am i just do for some more crack? ;)

Gluall@aol.com
03-06-2001, 10:57 AM
hahah yeah thats me... i have a funny sneer on my face that cant quite be made out because of the size of the picture. In person people tell me i look like tiger woods...i actually get that a lot. I guess its because im half korean and half black.