PDA

View Full Version : Are spats worth replacing?

Mode
03-04-2001, 02:33 AM
You know. . .those air/wind deflectors in front of each tire (attached to the underside). I noticed a couple are badly damaged and torn. How much are these to replace?

Scott Yu
03-04-2001, 09:50 AM
Are you talking about the ones in the front or back? I know someone said the ones in the front are worth replacing, as it does afford some sort of engine splash protection and (minimal?) high-speed aero benefit.

If you're talking about the ones in the back - I really don't know if it's worth it to replace 'em. But I did anyway :) The rear ones are really cheap, I think I paid like $8 for one side. Took me 10 minutes under the car w/a socket wrench and a couple of small bits. Couldn't notice any difference whatsoever after I replaced it, but it made my anal-retentive mind feel better.

scott yu

Originally posted by Mode
You know. . .those air/wind deflectors in front of each tire (attached to the underside). I noticed a couple are badly damaged and torn. How much are these to replace?

Mode
03-04-2001, 01:55 PM
Hey <b>Scott Yu</b>,

Thanks for the info. BTW, all four are pretty thrashed - but the rears are nearly torn off.

I have the same mindset as you - so I'll probably go ahead and replace them.

Scott Yu
03-04-2001, 01:58 PM
No problem! Ya know, I only seem to be anal-retentive about the car. Anyone else have this problem? My desk and bedroom are a mess, but you could eat off the floor of my car. And then I'd freak out because there was food all over it.

BTW, the fronts are considerably more expensive, I believe the full replacement set (the center and the two side flanges) is something like $100. I'm going to pull mine as soon as it gets warm and see if they need any supplemental bracing...

scott

Originally posted by Mode
Hey <b>Scott Yu</b>,

Thanks for the info. BTW, all four are pretty thrashed - but the rears are nearly torn off.

I have the same mindset as you - so I'll probably go ahead and replace them.