PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an e39 540i sport, what are differences in the model years?

Waywild3
11-10-2002, 12:25 AM
I'm looking to pick up a nice pre-owned 540i sport with low miles.

What should I look for? Any things to check for besides accidents and normal tire kicking?

I've been searching the net, but I can't find a nice categorical list of differences btw the model years of 540i sports. I'm mainly looking at the 1999-2000 models, it seems the 2001s with the angel eyes and body colored trim are a bit over 40k (which I would rather), this money I am not willing to spend on a pre-owned in this economy.....

Anyway, if any of you 540 gurus could enlighten me as to what wheels or options were to be had and what was different in each model year from 1999-2001 (anything and everything) it would be most appreciated. Any suggestions are welcome.

Is this BMW CPO business worth my time? What years did that nice blue come out, I think it was called topaz blue? How reliable has the nav system been and is it worth getting? What things came in the sport that a premium package does not have? Is this a reliable daily driver?

Cheers,

Salah

mikemaster
11-10-2002, 01:59 PM
2 websites for everything you need to know...

www.bmwtips.com

www.540i6.com

:jump:

NickG
11-11-2002, 09:20 PM
I went through this earlier this year. Here are some details that I remember:

- engine enhancements starting in '99 in the V8:
..........VANOS introduced
..........water cooled alternator
..........throttle by wire
- starting in 99, the Sport package with the auto tranny had a 3.15 rear gear (vs. 2.81 in all other V8's), a 'looser' torque converter, and the Steptronic tranny
- in '99, the Sport Seats became standard in the 540i 6-speed, and a no-cost option in the 540iA Sport
- in '00, Sport Seats became standard on all 540i Sport models (both auto and manual tranny)
- Xenon headlights optional in '99, standard in '00
- staggered wheels were standard on all Sports starting in '99

I have the GPS/Nav option. It's pretty cool and glad I got it.

If you're an audiophile, pass on the DSP sound system. It's not worth it, and makes upgrading the system extremely difficult and needlessly more expensive.

My car has the folding rear seat option. It's cool and all, but I maybe have used it once or twice in 6 months of ownership. The rear seats do creak like hell though, so it's more of a nuisance than a luxury.

Mine has the 16-way comfort seats. While they definately are comfortable, I recently sat in an E39 with the Sport Seats, and it felt WAY better. It was much sportier feeling and 'hugging'.

mikemaster
11-11-2002, 11:50 PM
Some think the sport seats are too firm, YMMV.