PDA

View Full Version : Strut Brace install question

e36driver
03-02-2001, 12:47 AM
Questions for those who have a strut brace installed:
Can you just use the original front strut nuts to install on top of the brace or you need some special nuts?

Kevlar
03-02-2001, 09:56 AM
Depends on the brace... I'm sure you need a different type of not tho. The brace should come with some.

derek
03-02-2001, 01:05 PM
I recently purchased the Motorsport LTW strut bar. Special conical nuts (also BMW Motorsport part) or the JT Designs strut bar nuts (open-ended design to accomodate longer stud lengths as with adjustable camber plates) were recommended due to the high amount of stress involved in keeping the strut bar in place.

Cost of the Motorsport conical nuts are $84 (set of 6) and the cost of the JT Design strut bar nuts are $60 for their set.

AlphaKennyOne ///M3
03-03-2001, 08:46 PM
My Dinan strut bar used the original nuts to install the strut bar. Check out if your studs started to mushroom though. Lots of 95 M3's have this problem and it gets your studs out of place so you can't put on your strut bar without doing work to the shock tower.

Alan

E30Alpina
08-23-2010, 09:59 PM
bumping this from the grave, just bought some TCKR camber plates and unfortunatly the mounting bolts are not long enough to mount my Motorsport strut brace. Is there any better solution to this problem than $80 or $60 nuts as quoted above? TCKR said E46 M3 collar nuts, ant experience?

Moron95M3
08-23-2010, 10:28 PM
could you put longer studs in?

I broke one when installing my bar (I have a problem with torque specs...which has since been corrected).

Anyway, I was able to stick a new bolt through and torque it down (used same nut). Not sure exactly how they are set up - I thought they were studs, so you would want to look into pulling/replacing them. Might have to pull the strut to do it right.

(using the bolt as I did is not the 'right' way to do it. but the idea might help)

E30Alpina
08-23-2010, 11:21 PM
No, TCKR plates have a little chassis with the bolts welded in. Thier new version has longer bolts to accomidate but mine are older and do not. They dont have any longer chassis/bolts to sell.