PDA

View Full Version : Hardwire connect for V1

KilljoyM3
03-01-2001, 07:19 PM
Finally I got my V1 in the mail today. After trying out a couple of ideas, I decided that the tideness of a hardwired connection would be better. As such, one question, were can I find a suitable wire to tap into? I'm mounting the V1 almost dead center on the windshield. Secondly, I couldn't resist adding a poll, not sure if it will work, but what the heck. Thanks for any help.

SlickM3
03-02-2001, 12:33 AM
I have a V1 with remote display, which sits in the left upper corner of the sunglass tray. My V1 is just left of the rearview mirror. I tucked the lead under the headliner going left to the A pillar, where I tucked the lead under the fabric, taking it down below the knee panel. There you'll see a division in the left side footwell plastic... that's where the lead snakes up above the footwell cover (under the steering column), and comes down behind the plastic moulding of the left side of the OBC console. I spliced the power lead into the cigarette lighter lead, because my mechanic said it would be safe, and would somehow be less likely to interfere with other electonics. I'm not sure it matters. The lead which goes to the remote display can be snaked through the 1/2" access hole underneath the OBC. Just stick your finger in there and gently push up and forward... the OBC will pop right out and you can get to your lead.

The only downside to this installation is that the power is not switched by the ignition switch.

C.Yang
03-02-2001, 12:43 AM
I know with audio installations, you tap energy straight from the battery, or you can cause electrical failures that BMW won't pick up the tab for. the cigarette lighter thing sounds like a good idea.

pete
03-02-2001, 01:15 AM
yeah, but thats bc of the large number of watts used by stereo gear. how much juice can a v1 possibly use? its power supply is a damn phone line. i was considering tapping into the sunroof motor power, thats a pretty beefy power source, i'm sure it wouldn't notice the drain. i guess i could ask and find out, don't really feel like tearing the whole a pillar and all that crap apart.

corwyn
03-02-2001, 07:53 AM
I tapped into the wires behind the sunroof switch.

You remove the overhead panel in which that switch sits, and you remove the switch so that you can take the panel completely off (for convenience).

One source of installation instructions is http://www.unofficialbmw.com//e36/electrical/e36_hardwiring_a_valentine_1.html but I wouldn't completely follow those directions since it looks like your V1 will be mostly obscured and will otherwise be pointing down at your hood. Up to you, that's just how I felt when I held my V1 in the position shown. The wire tapping info there is useful, though. I ran my power cable up through the vanity mirror light on the driver's side (up under the visor) and across the interior of the roof to the maplight wires so that I could hide the wire behind the visor when I take the V1 out.

If you want, I can try and find the exact set of directions I used...

HTH