PDA

View Full Version : Cold or warm water when washing?

Drjones
07-29-2002, 05:25 PM
Do you guys use cold or warm water when washing your babies? My dad has always told me to use warm, and it makes sense to me, as warm water removes stuff easier.

Just curious what you do...

Drjones

Hyperion
07-29-2002, 05:27 PM
I uses warm for the first 35 to 40 seconds until all the sun heated water in the hose runs out... From there it is cold...:D

cohiba
07-30-2002, 01:44 AM
I use warm water, helps to soften and loosen up the dirt. I've heard from someone that its not good to wash you car with hot water. Not good for the paint?

Is this true :dunno or is it just B.S.

mikiejack
07-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Don't bother with warm water as it will remove your wax. The most I ever do is use luke warm water in winter so my hands don't freeze. You know you are dedicated when you have to stop cos the damn soapy water has frozen before you get round to washing it off!

//MMMGood
07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
How do you guys heat it up?

iwannadinanm3
07-31-2002, 06:10 PM
no heating up, carry bucket inside, fill bucket with sink :D i use hose water, no cold water really

Bozo325
08-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Just lukewarm.. any warmer will remove your wax... (at least if it's regular wax base like carnuba)

I don't if it was warm or cold... but the other day I saw this guy using bottled water to rinse his car.

Maybe it was some sort of detailing secret and he was entering his car in some sort of concours .. or... ?

At any rate, I didn't stop to ask.

Bimma328i
08-04-2002, 02:14 PM
what and idiot, bottled water? doesnt make any difference, even with a porsche or ferrari i wouldent use that lol, some people are on heavy drugs sometimes :awink:

dallasdriver
08-10-2002, 01:01 AM
I know a guy with a model A ford who only uses distilled water on it, that makes sense but bottled water does not.

2001vdubbgolf
08-17-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by mikiejack
Don't bother with warm water as it will remove your wax. The most I ever do is use luke warm water in winter so my hands don't freeze. You know you are dedicated when you have to stop cos the damn soapy water has frozen before you get round to washing it off! nope sorry, wrong answer.
unless you are using boiling water to wash your car you are fine.
do you think teh wax comes off your car if you leave out in the sun and the paint heats up? didn't think so.
go ahead and use warm water.

David
08-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 2001vdubbgolf
nope sorry, wrong answer.
unless you are using boiling water to wash your car you are fine.
do you think teh wax comes off your car if you leave out in the sun and the paint heats up? didn't think so.
go ahead and use warm water.

Actually, very hot weather CAN melt the carnuba layer off of your cars finish. The carnuba layer on your car is less than 1mm thick. Do you really expect to see anything if it melts? Do you see anything after you've just applied it? No. Most carnuba has a VERY short life span to begin with, regardless of weather condidtion.

Use cold water to wash your car if you are using carnuba as protection. Don't scrub too hard with your mitt. Just let glide over the paint surface.

If you are using a synthetic sealant like klasse or zaino, then the rules change.