PDA

View Full Version : 535i stalling while driving??

Dagi
07-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi all,
my 535i automatic has the weirdest problem. Runs great, but all of the sudden while driving 70mph it did a 'hop' and that was it, that happened about 10 times or so..I thought it was bad gas. Then it just completely stalled, shut down while driving 30mph. I could start it up right away again. Now this happens regularly, while driving 20, 30 40, 50, 60, 70, 80..you name it, it does it. No pattern to it at all, not while breaking, steering, turning stuff on or off..nothing it just shuts down. My mechanic, did a full service, then changed fuel filter, distributor cap, fuel pump, relay .... and it STILL has this problem..ANY wisdom out there? Dagi

saspearl
01-15-2020, 07:53 AM
Dagi, i see that was posted back in July, but just in case you are still having issue, i am having a very similar issue with my 2011 535i. My research and attempted fixes included, replaced Mass Airflow Sensor, Replaced Spark Plugs and Coil Packs. And pulled and cleaned the VANOS Solenoids. So the last task seems to have killed the motor. It won't start now. Lots of Crank but no Start. The next thing i'm going to try is the Camshaft sensors. There is a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIeseozm9cs)showing the replacement. If you have found a fix for your issue let me know so we can learn from your experience.
thanks!

moroza
01-15-2020, 04:03 PM
Random stalling at speed with fuel issues largely ruled out? Probably electrics. Measure all sensors, clean up a few grounds, and report back.

atl530i
01-15-2020, 10:18 PM
Damn, nearly 18 years later...I wonder if the OP ever fixed it.

shogun
01-15-2020, 11:28 PM
I will move it from E34 forum to the F10 forum, as that new question is for a 2011 535i.

moroza
01-16-2020, 01:06 PM
Not that I noticed til just now, but the question was asked two generations before the F10 even came out.

T444E
01-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Dagi, i see that was posted back in July, but just in case you are still having issue, i am having a very similar issue with my 2011 535i. My research and attempted fixes included, replaced Mass Airflow Sensor, Replaced Spark Plugs and Coil Packs. And pulled and cleaned the VANOS Solenoids. So the last task seems to have killed the motor. It won't start now. Lots of Crank but no Start. The next thing i'm going to try is the Camshaft sensors. There is a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIeseozm9cs)showing the replacement. If you have found a fix for your issue let me know so we can learn from your experience.
thanks!

Back in July.......of 2002.