PDA

View Full Version : When are we going to have a big BF.C get together?

TheBestCow
07-18-2002, 12:43 AM
We see over on Roadfly, DTMPower, even the small group up in Minnesota (Bimmermods) having meets, getting recognition. I think Team BF.c is a step in the right direction for getting this site the respect it is due.

In the last one or two issues of Roundel (for the uninformed, BMW CCA monthly magazine) and european car both Roadfly.org and DTMPower.net have been mentioned. I have never seen anything on Bimmerforums.com.

Now I realize that this site is dedicated to remaining a quality discussion board. But I also believe that getting the site promoted more will bring not only new members that we can only help, but new members with much experience that can also help us (w/ mechanical issues, etc.).

So why don't we get one, massively huge (yes, massively huge) event together for say... Summer '03. I respect Bimmerfest (West & East) and all the other shows, group drives, and stuff... but I do think that something huge will put this website at the top of everyone's list of BMW Tuner/Help/Discussion sites (not just the BMWE30.net's voted list, which while we're talking about we were #1 on).

Now a massive event may not work, for several obvious reasons. Location? If you put it on the east coast the west coast folks miss out, vise versa. I don't know anything about running an event, so feel free to chime in here. Maybe we could do a tour around the good ole US of A, hitting a few major cities (I would SO be up for this) in both the north, south, east, west and everything in between. Set up venues at each location, have someone [trusted member] of BF.c help organize the vendors and location for that city, and move on to the next location.

This could be huge.

If anyone is interested in seriously following/creating/doing this, or if Bob or any of the other Admins/Moderators/Owners of the Server feel I should shut my trap, just let me know. Pop me an email @ poetami@chartertn.net

TheBestCow
07-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Okay I know this has gotten some views...

Is no one interested in this at all?!

outkastaliens
07-18-2002, 10:20 AM
I would be down

Stylin
07-18-2002, 12:25 PM
the problem here is that people dont get together or arent interested in getting together. I goto meets all the time around here acutally and usually do post the meet here also but noone really shows up from here.

Bill
07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Im down........

TheBestCow
07-18-2002, 12:30 PM
I mean we could hit Chicago, NY, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, L.A....

SaM3
07-18-2002, 02:48 PM
I would be down if it were near the east coast. Maybe there should be two or a tour or something. But yeah, we should have some kinda rsvp system to make sure that enough people would show up to make it fun... add some incentives too like vendors (win-win situation, they get to sell us stuff and we get cheaper prices/tech info)...

It would be cool if someone could get it together.

TheBestCow
07-18-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm liking the tour idea. I think that since we're giving a year's notice, that people could have enough time off to drive to at least two of the events on the tour. I.E. start in Chicago, go to NYC, they meet us there, stay with the group as it moves to Atlanta for another show...

JoeZ
07-19-2002, 11:54 AM
East coast stuff sounds good to me!!

Stockman
07-19-2002, 12:05 PM
Heres a viewpoint

Most of the people on bimmerforums are not major into looks... so they would not be major into shows.. where they would get publicity

No real cushy car shows for the people who are more into substance than looks.. theres tracks

And well.. DTM is major on the visual aspect.. so they are at all the shows I am sure..

Some people like driving.. some people like looking at their car?

My thoughts anyway.. granted its early in the morning

TheBestCow
07-19-2002, 12:08 PM
Stephen- Do you think it would fare better if we went to say... tracks around the country? Small show just for ourselves (vendors too) and then track time?

Stockman
07-19-2002, 12:15 PM
I dont know...

But think... how many people here have what could be considered show cars? Not many

Remember back.. we tried to do a USA gathering.. Never worked out

RUddin3
07-19-2002, 03:41 PM
I would be down for a meet in LA. Hopefully I will have my M3 by then....

Drive Safely,
Dinan3er

TheBestCow
07-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Stephen - We could call it "Bimmerforums PerformanceFest"... dyno runs, track/lap times...

Or hell, a Cannonball type run :) Just throwing ideas out..

ducky
07-19-2002, 07:37 PM
There've been some very good points brought up as to why this board isn't as popular as others.

I do think that if there were to be a meet it should be widely publicized, on different boards. So say things like "Presented by Bimmerforums.com...", that would get people interested.

The booth idea @ events is a good idea too. That however costs money. DTM is really popular because the people who run the site are willing to put down money to get publicity. I mean, their admin ran in Gumball 3000.

I'm sure if BF.C was associated with a magazine, or shop it would be as popular as other sites like DTM and Roadfly are.

Hell, when I was @ DTM I remember people saying that they saw the site after seeing the sticker on someone's car. Maybe that's the key? :dunno

I'm just rambling anyway, but a US tour seems out of reach, however a booth or meet at a track or a central location is not.