PDA

View Full Version : Removal Of A/C... how much weight saved?

Steve J.
07-10-2002, 04:45 PM
Removal Of A/C... how much weight saved?
IN preparation of our 88 m3 track car, I am curious to see how much weight will ebe saved once the a/c is out? We're taking it out next week probably once the car gets back from the paint shop. Anyone have an idea? In my vw it saves 75 lbs! is it even close to that in the e30? We're also taking a ton of other stuff out, hopefully saving 250-350lbs. I also plan on customizing the air intakes to allow more air inside the cockpit through the stock vents. We also just got some metal fabrication machinery in the mail, so we'll make some nice metal peices to save weight inside the car, but its mostly for use on our main race car.

Also what other stuff can be stripped that is more then the normal (entire interior, a/c, back setas, trunk, etc.)... anything that is on the car that serves no purpose?

I am looking to swap the sunroof out with a lexan, and make it non adjustable...and probably build a scoop, RALLY STYLE ;) into it to bring more fresh air in the car. Any other ideas? thanks

Steve J.
07-16-2002, 09:30 AM
For anyone interested I found it its about 48lbs when you remove the entire a/c system. To counter balance, all the crap in the trunk should be stripped out, as well as a lighter battery. Hence you keep the great balance ratio f/r of the car.

Bav///Man
07-17-2002, 12:19 AM
The leightweight interstate battery is pretty good. It will even power 2 amps and subs!

SC87325is
08-13-2002, 03:05 PM
I did many of these things-removed everything in the trunk, removed the interior (220 pounds, everything but the dash.) Added back in roll bar and seats about 160 pounds.

You can make the rear windows out of lexan. Also the rearwindow can be made of the same material. Remove the windows in the front doors. Get rid of the stereo equipment (the speakers in the back shelf weigh about ten pounds). You can also remove or lower the amount of water in the windshield wiper system. The Cruise control is removeable. See how many horns you have (I had four!)

I tacked back in the original sunroof panel.

Do you still have both fans? At least one is removeable.