PDA

View Full Version : NorCal/Bay Area: Hwy 25 Run Sun 7/21!!!!

Mr.2Boosted
07-02-2002, 02:35 AM
I setup this drive this past Saturday and I am still in awe. That road is too damn fun. On the last drive, I believe 12 cars showed up {1 928s, a 944t, 3 Corrado's, 1 GTI, 2 wrx's, 2 MKIV Supra's, and a e36 M3}. Also, since I'm planning this one much earlier, I expect a much bigger turnout. I'm guessing somewhere around 20-25 cars will probably show. That might be bad in one aspect that there's less room for you to play and there's always a car in front/behind. If necessary, we'll split into two groups; those who will push their car a bit harder and the slow pokes. Or if a lot of people want to drive hard, we can leave at different times so we don't get too congested. I know that seems weird, but I want everyone to have fun and some can/want to push their car harder then others. We'll meet at the same place (very close to the SJ Airport/Santa Clara U):
New Dimensions Ltd.
2240 De La Cruz Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
at 10:30! Last time I bent my own rules, by delaying it so a couple more people show up, but that's not going to happen this time. We'll start rolling out at 11:15. It will take approximately 1 hour to get from Santa Clara to Gilroy. We will make a pit stop at the same gas station we made last time at 12:15ish. The address is:
Vieira's Shell
850 Pacheco Pass Hwy
Gilroy, CA 95020
It is off the 152 East exit from 101. (If your taking 101S, you will make a left turn as soon as you exit and it is on your right.) This will allow people that already live closer to that area to meet us there instead of driving up to Santa Clara and coming back down. We'll probably be there for 15 minutes at the most so plan your time wisely. I don't know why, but after that pit stop we took a different route then what I planned. I think it's much easier to just take 152 East to 25 South. 25 will be 90 minutes of absolute bliss! The road is full of straights & curves, but the best part is that it is completely deserted. I only remember of having to pass two cars during the entire 25 run. Unlike hwy 9, the curves are not as sharp, so you can take them at higher speeds and there's plenty of road to hit top speed. (I hit 135 or so quite a few times and could've gone a little more if my supercharger was boosting at normal levels.) By the end of 25, I'm guessing, it will be around 2 if everything goes as according to plan. There are many options of getting back home. 198 East is also a great road with some sharper curves. It will take about 40 minutes or so to hit I-5 for the spirited driver. I-5 is also a lot of fun if you like driving at 100+ for another 2 hours until 580. You can also take 198W which will lead you directly to 101N. I'm personally going to turn right around and take 25 back up to 101. Also to note, 101 will be busy because it becomes a 2 lane highway. Whether you take 198E to 101 or 25N to 101, you will run into traffic. Here's some links that should give you some more info about the drive:
Map: http://www.pashnit.com/maps2/HighwayJ1loop.gif
Great write-up on 25: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway25.htm
Also, I learned a couple things from this drive; 1. Bring enough money. I drove about 350 miles or so since I took 5/580/880 back to Fremont and spent quite a bit on gas and you will get hungry. It'll probably be 100+ degrees or so out there so bring some sun tan lotion/water too. 2. Bring two way radios and extra sets of you have any!!! 3. Wear comfortable shoes. By the time I got home (~6:00), I thought my legs were going fall off. Also, bring a digital camera. We didn't take nearly enough pictures last time. With earlier planning and experience, I think this time, the drive will go much smoother and everyone will have a lot more fun. By the way, I am posting this on numerous messege boards. There will be a wide variety of cars (Dubs, Supra's, Scoobie's, Porsche's, Bimmer's, Mr2's, RX7's, 3000gt's, 300zx's, and maybe a few others makes/models. Last time, I was only planning on have a "Euro" drive, but I don't have any problems with an FD coming out to play. I'm not going to post on some stupid forum like ClubSi so this is not something the Acura/Honda (unless your rollin in a NSX or S2k) kids or rice burners can attend. If you have any ?'s, email me at zhanahkahbahz@yahoo.com or IM me on AIM; zhanahkahbahz. Hope to you there!

Dinanify
07-03-2002, 12:02 AM
C'mon guys, I'm down. Who's with me? My buddy in his crazy quick supra will be coming too (mostly likely, as long as he can find the appropriate fuel or bring it with him).

I'd love to have another M come along :)

If you've never been on this route, go! It's an awesome drive, a little hot, but otherwise well worth the drive...

Mr.2Boosted
07-03-2002, 02:50 AM
It's not really that hot. I mean just roll down your windows. Driving at 130 will cool is down just a bit ;). btw, if you didn't know, there already is another M3 guy (e36) that will most likely be there and he's bringing another M3 along with him :clap: . Strange how 3 or so passed by the street and a white one that sounded like it had a s/c pulled into a parking lot nearby, but was never spotted again :dunno . Anyways, I posted on DTM as well so we should have a very nice turnout. Also to note, I havent changed the original thread, but I'm considering changing the meet up time half an hour early. I dont want to end up going home at 6:30 again, esp since I'm turning right around and taking 25N to 101N.