PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Blip

///Molloy
04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Does everyone else love downshifting the same way I do?

I've been working on my revv matching skillz and throttle blips, as per my mentor Dr. Ben (I have rarely seen such mastery of the E36 M3 5 speed manual gearbox) Sometimes, I just do it for practice from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 just for kicks.

I just wanted to say that these cars are so fun. There is something completely sublime about rounding a hard corner, braking, and blipping the throttle mid-turn for a perfect revv-match to accelerate through the corner.
I'n not saying I'm some race driving expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Not to take anything away from SMG or SMG II, which I know is incredible.

I just love driving my car. :buttrock

I guess you could say I'm DRIVE addicited.

discuss.

Teh Slows
04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Please explain proper rev matching and use of the throttle blip for those who need it.

chasmanbmwfan
04-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Becoming one with the car is where it's at.

///Molloy
04-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Becoming one with the car is where it's at.

hush... you "Tip" pusher.

lolz. (just teasing counselor)

chasmanbmwfan
04-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Back in the old days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I only knew two transmissions: four on the floor and three on the tree -- and regularly drove both.

My RX-7 was of the former variety and I recall (faintly) the joy of revving the engine and downshifting with no clutch. My goal was to never depress the clutch. Even when starting from a standstill, I found that if I was on a slight incline I could achieve gear matching and find first gear without a clutch. It was even easier in my Jeep CJ-5 (this was when all Jeeps came with V-8's).

Ah, the sweet memories of my youth.

///Molloy
04-19-2005, 05:52 PM
My goal was to never depress the clutch. Even when starting from a standstill, I found that if I was on a slight incline I could achieve gear matching and find first gear without a clutch. It was even easier in my Jeep CJ-5 (this was when all Jeeps came with V-8's).

now THAT is HOTT. Good story.

The mastery of one's car should be gauged by the owner's mastery of said car's transmission.
(unless, of course you have a small on-board super-computer which does all the math for you)

Antwerp
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
One of the highest compliments I ever received was when I posted a random video of me driving, the people commented saying, "Is your car an SMGII?"
Another stated. "Yes, It sounds just like my SMG."

I'm a shifting machine I'll tell you! :D

I'm not really that good, but that day, I was right on. :buttrock

Antwerp
04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Back in the old days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I only knew two transmissions: four on the floor and three on the tree -- and regularly drove both.

My RX-7 was of the former variety and I recall (faintly) the joy of revving the engine and downshifting with no clutch. My goal was to never depress the clutch. Even when starting from a standstill, I found that if I was on a slight incline I could achieve gear matching and find first gear without a clutch. It was even easier in my Jeep CJ-5 (this was when all Jeeps came with V-8's).

Ah, the good old days before Syncros... Way to Go! :thumbup:

SehrSchnell
04-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Does everyone else love downshifting the same way I do?

I've been working on my revv matching skillz and throttle blips, as per my mentor Dr. Ben (I have rarely seen such mastery of the E36 M3 5 speed manual gearbox) Sometimes, I just do it for practice from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 just for kicks.

I just wanted to say that these cars are so fun. There is something completely sublime about rounding a hard corner, braking, and blipping the throttle mid-turn for a perfect revv-match to accelerate through the corner.
I'n not saying I'm some race driving expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Not to take anything away from SMG or SMG II, which I know is incredible.

I just love driving my car. :buttrock

I guess you could say I'm DRIVE addicited.

discuss.

Remove thus CDV and you my son, will become even more proficient.

Antwerp
04-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Remove thus CDV and you my son, will become even more proficient.
How is that treatin' ya Johnny? You got the hang of it?

SehrSchnell
04-19-2005, 08:15 PM
How is that treatin' ya Johnny? You got the hang of it?

With the UUC EVO 3, clutch stop, and CDV removal, I am a shifting martha focker.

Tonus
04-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Ahhh yes rev matching.......................................... .this is how my engine and I have gotten very acquainted over the last few months. Just watch your engine braking when your not watching your intruments!!! :(

jmabey
04-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Ahhh yes rev matching.......................................... .this is how my engine and I have gotten very acquainted over the last few months. Just watch your engine braking when your not watching your intruments!!! :(
;)

Antwerp
04-19-2005, 08:50 PM
:thumbup: Soon it will all be for the better!

Makr
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Autos own you guys.

SehrSchnell
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Autos own you guys.

I beg to differ. And hey, the new Pope is German!

Antwerp
04-19-2005, 09:38 PM
I think is even Bavarian too! I've never been happier! :kiss

Makr
04-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice for teh pope. There was definate ownage by my auto at teh auto x.:devillook

Makr
04-19-2005, 09:40 PM
I watched the pope thing.

I was raised mormon. there seem to be a lot of Catholics out there. I didnt know.

I will convert.

SehrSchnell
04-19-2005, 09:44 PM
I watched the pope thing.

I was raised mormon. there seem to be a lot of Catholics out there. I didnt know.

I will convert.

Bravo. Come to my house and we will have wine to celebrate. (not boxed mer-lott though)

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 09:51 PM
There is something completely sublime about rounding a hard corner, braking, and blipping the throttle mid-turn for a perfect revv-match to accelerate through the corner.
I'n not saying I'm some race driving expert by any stretch of the imagination. [/B]

What? You clutch out mid-turn? :confused

///Molloy
04-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Autos own you guys.

you'll never know the joy of blipping the 3.0 :( how sad4UforLyfe

///Molloy
04-19-2005, 09:54 PM
What? You clutch out mid-turn? :confused

when I purposefully wish to brake traction for onlookers. Why yes Chachy-baby. ;)

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 09:54 PM
when I purposefully wish to brake traction for onlookers. Why yes Chachy-baby. ;)

Eh, I guess.

Makr
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
I have lots of bliping opportunites you will never understand.

///Molloy
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Eh, I guess.

Chach, my friend, this is something that I am SURe you are unfamiliar with in that TANK of an E34.

Braking traction is for us sports-cars..... ;) ;)

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Chach, my friend, this is something that I am SURe you are unfamiliar with in that TANK of an E34.

Braking traction is for us sports-cars..... ;) ;)

Ummm... you've obviously never seen me in action.

I will make sure to take video this weekend.

BIMMERBOYZ
04-20-2005, 01:42 AM
wait question is Makr M3 a automatic?

chmdrm
04-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Yes

Us old guys learned that rowing your car down the track is not the only way to be fast.

Antwerp
04-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Mush.

12:03
04-20-2005, 10:28 AM
as per my mentor Dr. Ben (I have rarely seen such mastery of the E36 M3 5 speed manual gearbox)

true story. discussion please.

seacrest out.