PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start :(

Teh Slows
04-17-2005, 09:25 PM
My car wont start, so I call upon you all for guidance. I got home ate dinner and about 2 hours later got back in to leave....

Put in the clutch and turned the key, I thought I didnt have the clutch in far enough. (clutch stop) All the lights lit up as they always do and my radio turned on. As I was turning it off I heard a click from the engine. I tried againg but now I have no power to anything interior lights, engine lights. oh, my little red security light still flashes.

Checked power cables and they are all good. There isnt like a master fuse that if it blew nothing would work is there? :help :( Cant sell this for much if it doesnt work.

///Molloy
04-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Dead (or dying) battery. your car was fine yesterday.

Its not holding charge or gen. enough amps to crank.

Wait a few minutes
turn off all accessories.
Close door.
let the chiming finish.
wait

then try to crank.

If it starts, get yo ass to pep boys.

Teh Slows
04-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Dead battery.

I just replaced it about 3 months ago and its an 84 month battery.

But now I can get some of the lights to come on VERY dim.

SLC///M3
04-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I just replaced it about 3 months ago and its an 84 month battery.

But now I can get some of the lights to come on VERY dim.

you may have an alternator problem there fella

Teh Slows
04-17-2005, 09:45 PM
son of a... I hooked up my battery charger. and now I get power and everything, but when I turn the ignition just makes crazy noises. Is it my starter?

chmdrm
04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
It will take some time to charge the battery enough to start it if it is as dead as it seems.

May not be a battery problem but a dead alt.

Teh Slows
04-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Ok, WTF, it works fine now. :conf

chmdrm
04-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Let it run for a while and see if it charges that battery.

///Molloy
04-17-2005, 10:21 PM
what did I say about pep boys........ HURRY (slows)

adams
04-17-2005, 10:32 PM
what do you mean crazy noises?? dead battery and sounds like alternator is about to go

Teh Slows
04-17-2005, 10:44 PM
sounded like a bad starter was my guess, Im taking to to BMW of Murray tomorrw.

adams
04-17-2005, 10:47 PM
sounded like a bad starter was my guess, Im taking to to BMW of Murray tomorrw.

you should just DIY, take your starter off and have it tested at autozpwn

Makr
04-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Cam ran it out of gas.

Cameron Hauck
04-17-2005, 11:19 PM
It had no gas to start with. :stickoutt

Teh Slows
04-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Cam is a bastard in that sense, no resepect...he also laughs when Makr backs the M3 into the 6er.

Antwerp
04-18-2005, 11:58 AM
The reason it was making weirdo noises is because of the Amps you had in the battery.
Before I had a recall done with my climate module, my battery drained to the point that it would make some solenoids click, but wouldn't crank.

I'm voting for an Alternater problem. DIY and save $500.
They'll even test it for you at pep boys, Napa or Auto Zone.

Makr
04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Cam is a bastard in that sense, no resepect...he also laughs when Makr backs the M3 into the 6er.

No laughing at Makr's silliness.:nono

;)

Teh Slows
04-18-2005, 12:11 PM
you should just DIY, take your starter off and have it tested at autozpwn

The reason it was making weirdo noises is because of the Amps you had in the battery.
Before I had a recall done with my climate module, my battery drained to the point that it would make some solenoids click, but wouldn't crank.

I'm voting for an Alternater problem. DIY and save $500.
They'll even test it for you at pep boys, Napa or Auto Zone.

So I should rip out both the Alt, and the Starter and have them tested?

chmdrm
04-18-2005, 12:38 PM
They can do it in the car with the Alt, and Ant is right, betting nothing wrong with your starter.

Antwerp
04-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Starter is easy enough to test too, but I wouldn't waste your time.

Teh Slows
04-18-2005, 12:48 PM
*Sigh* alright well Im off to Autozp0wn

Tonus
04-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Definitely electrical, not mechanical.

Most likely alternator.

Lohe
04-18-2005, 06:04 PM
If the batter does have enough amp's to sart it you will get that horific clicking sound. An alt isnt meant to re-charge a fully dead batter and can ruin it if you let it do it alot. So you probley need to replace both the alt and batter, But pep boys or autozone ect. will test it for ya and tell ya for sure. Also you might want to do a parastic drain test. You will need a Amp meter for this. With your new good bat. Shut all your doors and make sure everything is off. But leave your trunk open ( flip the lach swich so the trunk light turns off). Wait 15 min's but the amp meter on the bat. It should be around 40-80 milli amps. If it is more something isnt shuting off and draining your bat. If this is the case let me know I will post what to do next to find it easily.

Antwerp
04-19-2005, 08:14 PM
My car wont start, so I call upon you all for guidance. I got home ate dinner and about 2 hours later got back in to leave....

Put in the clutch and turned the key, I thought I didnt have the clutch in far enough. (clutch stop) All the lights lit up as they always do and my radio turned on. As I was turning it off I heard a click from the engine. I tried againg but now I have no power to anything interior lights, engine lights. oh, my little red security light still flashes.

Checked power cables and they are all good. There isnt like a master fuse that if it blew nothing would work is there? :help :( Cant sell this for much if it doesnt work.
Jeff, you never let us know what teh outcome of all this was??? :dunno