PDA

View Full Version : safety wire oil pump nut on S50B32?

m3ltw98
03-24-2005, 10:21 PM
My first race for BMWCCA is in mid-April at VIR and Im wondering if anybody with the S50B32 (Euro 3.2) has ever had the oil pump nut back off? Im probably gonna loc-tite it and safety wire it just for safety as I dont feel like grenading a $10k+ motor. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys

Jared

hinzm3
03-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Doesn't that motor run dual oil pumps or something like that?

Bruce (gobuffs) would be a good person to ask I think .

hinzm3
03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I just checked realoem.com and from there it looks like it is just 1 oil pump. Not sure where I was thinking about the dual setup from. If it was my motor I would def take care of it before the race.

Jean-Claude
03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I believe only the lightweights had duel oil pump set-ups.

m3ltw98
03-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Im pretty sure dual pumps are driven by the same sprocket which the nut attaches to. The dual pump just has another pump at the other end of the pan to scavenge the remaining oil. When I did my brothers oil pump nut on his 2.8 race motor with ltw/gt pan and dual pumps, it had the one spocket with infamous nut.

hinzm3
03-24-2005, 10:52 PM
ah! If you have til mid april and you get the time I would most likely take care of it. The nut also isn't going to just back off on you by driving the motor hard. You would most likely have to do something stupid like me and not put both feet in on a noob spinout at the track ;)

But it is one of those things that will be on your mind at all times if you don't take care of it.

m3ltw98
03-24-2005, 10:54 PM
ah! If you have til mid april and you get the time I would most likely take care of it. The nut also isn't going to just back off on you by driving the motor hard. You would most likely have to do something stupid like me and not put both feet in on a noob spinout at the track ;)

But it is one of those things that will be on your mind at all times if you don't take care of it.

Yea, I'd feel better knowing its safety wired while racing. I'll have 2 weeks to do it which is plenty of time even with college classes everyday. Figure I can do it in a day or 2 if I get lazy. Thanks guys