PDA

View Full Version : Great DE @ TMS Until My Engine Blew!

///M3 2 NV
05-26-2002, 09:53 PM
The Maverick Porsche Club in Dallas/Fort Worth is having a 3-day Club Race & Drivers Ed using the ALMS course @ Texas Motor Speedway. I was the only BMW there out of a total of 110 cars! I can only imagine the jokes being made by the Porsche folks now, since my engine blew during the 2nd session yesterday!

The facilities @ TMS are top rate and the track was awesome. It was not very technical, but still a very fun track to run. You use almost all of the 1.5 mile oval which has has 24 degree banking in the turns and 5 degress banking on the straights. After the start/finish line and before the pit exit is a chicane to slow you down. You have about 3/4 miles of track to accelerate after the infield and I looked at my speed once before the start/finish and I was doing 145mph. You then have to brake to around 45-55mph for the chicane. You then accerate to about 120mph before braking to about 45mph to enter the infield. So you need some really good brakes to drive hard.

The first session out, I was the 3rd car. They had us do 4 double-yellow laps to learn the course before they gave us the green. After the 1st green lap I had passed the 2 Porsches in front of me and began to reel in the back markers, leaving the other Porsches trailing behind me. The 2nd session I was the 4th car, the 3rd car was an RS and he pulled away from me. The 911 behind me, followed me around the front 2 cars and then we caught up with the back markers. He and I were playing cat & mouse, so I let him pass and then I followed him until my engine blew.

This is/was a very well organized event by the Maverick Porsche Club. :clap:

APEX
05-27-2002, 12:28 AM
I was sick from the news after talking to you on the phone. Dude, that SUCKS!!

It sounds like you were giving the P-cars hell.

I just hope BMW steps up to the plate and takes care of this for you.