PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifter: A Different Perspective

SlickM3
02-28-2001, 02:52 AM
With all the usual talk about short shifters, I've yet to see a discussion of why BMW does not put a shorter shifter (designed such as UUC'ss offering or other's), into the E36 M3 coupes.

Note: I'm not suggesting that BMW use non-BMW parts.

I've commented before, how I like the crisp feel of the M Roadster's shifter. I've also seen comments stating that "<i>BMW has spent millions designing the shifter which they do install</i>". Apparently, there is a reason why BMW does not "improve" the M3 coupe shifter.

So the question is, <b>if so many people think the M3 coupe's shifter can be improved, why BMW has not done so?</b> Maybe they think the stock parts are fine? Maybe they don't want to re-tool? Who knows?

mrclam
02-28-2001, 04:04 AM
i think a large part of it is that a good segment of bmw's market is not performance oriented but rather money oriented. they just want to show off and its probably easier for that type of person to shift? i don't really know but its just a thought.

Kevlar
02-28-2001, 07:38 AM
The majority of people are older... they don't like the

1. noise and vibration
2. the notchy feeling
3. the snick-snick feeling requires more effort
4. they pay $40,000 for a car, they want to change gears smoothly, like butter
5. plus with the long throw clutch and long throw shifter it makes it easier to shift the car smoother... making almost anybody a pro and silky smooth shifts.