PDA

View Full Version : Utah favorite restaraunt thread

12:03
09-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Thinking I may take the General out for some dinner. Name your favorite place and favorite thing to get there:

Market St Grill (Crab cakes)
Cafe Pierpont (steak quesadilla)
PF Chang (mongolian beef)
Iggy's sports grill (blackjack burger)

:embarrasm

I need to get out more

chmdrm
09-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Melting Pot Rocks!!!!!!!

Bring money.

black325isgirl
09-23-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the spinacci at Tucci's, and of course their desserts...

There's a really yummy restaraunt in Provo :help called Octavios. Super good Italian...

And my friend's restaraunt in Ogden is super good too... It's called Jasoh, and he does a lot of pizzas and pastas, and studied with Wolfgang Puck... :D [/Shameless plug]

Teh Slows
09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Melting Pot Rocks!!!!!!!

Bring money.

I will 2nd that, nothing beats the food...or the price

Jedi801
09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Market Street
Cafe Pierpont
Carvers
Ruby River

09-23-2004, 05:38 PM
what/where is carvers?

chmdrm
09-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Average steak place. Like 106th and State.

Jedi801
09-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Carvers is a steakhouse. It's down by theUtah Auto mall. next to some hotel. Really good food.

09-23-2004, 05:42 PM
well I dont like anything thats average

:nono

chmdrm
09-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Hampton Inn

chmdrm
09-23-2004, 05:43 PM
New Yorker has the best Steaks. They are also ok at the Oyster Bar down town, but not as good in Cottonwood.

09-23-2004, 05:46 PM
New Yorker is a private club

:az

///Molloy
09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Oyster Bar / or Market Street.
Metro.
Fresco.
Ichiban or Happy Sumo.
Spencers Steaks and Chops.

done and done

chmdrm
09-23-2004, 05:57 PM
New Yorker is a private club

So is Oyster Bar.

or can't you go someplace they serve?

09-23-2004, 05:58 PM
No. Just I dont have a membership to New Yorker. But I used to work at the oyster bar so I can get in

:cool

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Best little Sushi Bar secret, NAGOYA in Fort Union. Get the ****** roll! :icon23

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 07:36 PM
No. Just I dont have a membership to New Yorker. But I used to work at the oyster bar so I can get in

:cool

It wasn't the......BLUE OYSTER was it?????? :eyecrazy :D :D :D

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to vote for CAFE TRANG.

:buttrock

///Molloy
09-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Best little Sushi Bar secret, NAGOYA in Fort Union. Get the ****** roll! :icon23

I must be brain-dead. :confused
I live by ft. union/// where is this place? how long they been open?

chmdrm
09-23-2004, 08:36 PM
What is the name of the Jade something something place. Ok sushi for SLC

jteef
09-23-2004, 10:42 PM
a guy from work proposed to his girlfriend at some french restaurant that supposedly grows all their produce at the location. I cant remember the name of the place, but he dropped like $150 on the two of them and they don't drink...

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Molloy- It's behind Chili's, just west of Mervyn's next to the pet store (pet store: don't go there you non-sushi eaters!) It used to be a Chinese place, been sushi for some time. Go see Jaye at the sushi bar.

Geoff- Are you talking about Jade Garden in Cottonwood near the mall? Good place indeed, but NAGOYA is far superior!

Jeff- LaCaille maybe? Over rated in my opinion and from what I have been told.

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Anyone like to cook? (Besides Geoff and his donut holes?)

I make a mean Lasagna! Mama taught me! (the fam used to have a Italian restaurant in NY).

Kitzu
09-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Silly me, I was looking in the Mountain States subforum for Utah discussion!

Hmm. Here are some of my favorites in SL Valley - there are a ton of great ones up in Park City (e.g., Chez Betty):

Expensive:
Bambara: Fun, eclectic mix
Cafe Madrid: Best (only?) tapas in town
Fresco's: Best Italian in town
Log Haven: Very pricey, but great place and great food.
Melting Pot: Bring lots of friends when you have plenty of time
New Yorker: Expensive, but great food (private club)
Thai Siam: Kicks Bangkok Thai's ass and half the price

Moderate
Baba Afghan: Real change of pace, the lunch buffet is the way to go
Bayou: Good cajun food and over 200 beers (same owner as Beer Nut, private club)
Bombay House: Best northern Indian around (not saying much)
Cafe Trio: Nice moderate priced "calil-style" Italian, sit outside
Canellas: Great family Italian place
Famous Dave's: Another good barbecue place (chain)
Hong Kong Tea House: Best chinese in town (utah chinese sucks bad) - dim sum
Miramar: Great hole-in-the-wall mexican (try the carnitas)
Red Iguana: Great authentic mexican
Rivers: Good hearty fare in pretty setting
Rodizio: Fun all-you-can-eat Brazilian grill
Siegfried's Deli: Great german food, lunch only (and german food store)
Sugarhouse Barbecue: Best 'q in town (not saying a lot)

Cheap:
Cafe Trang: Excellent vietnamese in a total hole in the wall
Fuddruckers: Best burgers in town
Granato's: Great italian deli
Greek Souvlaki #1: Shockingly good greek for an ex-fast food joint
Lollicup: Forget the food, get the "boba tea"
Taco stands at Sears: $0.50/taco, the one on State Street is best, imo

Those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head...
:cheeburga

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Off the top of your head? Holy moly man.... I thought I ate out a lot! :D

GSBMW325is
09-23-2004, 11:40 PM

Yep, Nagoya has great sushi and good value. I also like Ahh Sushi during happy hour (read: cheap). The chef's are great; will make whatever you want. :cool

Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville. Best burgers period, and there's awesome driving roads nearby. :buttrock

I've enjoyed Flemings and Snowbird Steak Pit for expensive steaks. Texas Roadhouse for more budget-minded people. :)

I second the Melting Pot recommendation. The cheese and chocolate fondues rock. :alright

Market Street is about the only place to get something remotely close to good seafood in Utah. Of course I grew up with cajun crab and crawfish boils. :eyecrazy

Squatters for beer and an appetizer. Of course it helps I know people that work there... :devillook

jteef
09-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Anyone like to cook? (Besides Geoff and his donut holes?)

I make a mean Lasagna! Mama taught me! (the fam used to have a Italian restaurant in NY).

i end up cooking a lot to save money and eat healthier. I make all kinds of stuff. Best is my great grandmamas spaghetti w/ meat sauce. Also make a good chili, all kinds of different chicken stuff and a bunch of pork dishes, my favorite being cuban sandwiches. :alright

I miss doing good bar-b-que out here. I had to leave all the parents elite grills and smokers when I came out here.

GSBMW325is
09-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah, I also like Cafe Rio and Barbacoa.

And, there are times I have made meals at Krispy Kreme... :nono
Gotta love the "right out of the oil and free" samples they give!!!!!!

SehrSchnell
09-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Oh boy, if we're going to mention BEER, then:

EDDIE MCSTIFFS
MOAB, UTAH

The JALAPENO ALE is awesome awesome awesome! Their food stinks though. I am working on WILD OATS to bring the Jalapeno, they carry all the other McStiff Ales.

Yom
09-23-2004, 11:58 PM
i'm voting for market street in cottonwood. good seafood, best around here (cottonwood heights) i'd say. if i had the money i'd be a semi-regular, only cause i live a couple blocks away;)

chmdrm
09-24-2004, 12:06 AM
For Beer:

Geoff's house.

Always Fin du Monde and Maudite on hand. Nothing tops it. 9% is nice too.

SehrSchnell
09-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Wait, just thought of another great one for Fresh Mex: LOCO LIZARD

Their carnitas are sex in the mouth. :icon23

m3ster
09-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Ichiban or Happy Sumo.

I second that. Happy Sumo has the best Sushi I have ever had, and the best my wife ever has. My wife grew up in Southern Cali and ate Sushi all the time, and she still thinks Happy Sumo is the best.

If you go get the edamame (sp?) as the appetizer.

Kitzu
09-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Before I had kids, my wife and I ate out basically every night. In fact, we had a non-working kitchen (no working oven/stove) for about a year while remodeling.

BTW, I f**ked up with Thai Siam. It's definitely not expensive -- the lunch special there is $6.95 and includes your choice of two entrees. Try it if you haven't -- best food-to-cost ratio in town, except maybe the taco stands (hard to beat tasty $0.50 tacos if price is an issue).

SehrSchnell
09-24-2004, 12:30 AM
I'm too afraid to eat a taco from one of those stands. Diarrhea phobia if you will. :eek:

Kitzu
09-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Loco Lizard's carnitas are good... but not "real" carnitas. Too fancified -- but tasty. I prefer the one's at Miramar (1300 South across the street from the new Walmart).

Barbacoa's great casual cali-mex burritos ("football burritos" as my LA roomate and I used to call 'em).

Kitzu
09-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Yeah, most people seem 'fraid to try those tacos, but you're really missing out. The chicken w/ mole ones are particularly good, but I haven't had a bad one. Hell, whenever it's "boys night out" with myself and my four year old, he always wants to go to the taco stands (followed by cherry limeade and ice cream at Sonic down at 13th S and State).

I grew up in the third world, so a little bacteria never scared me! :eyecrazy

jteef
09-24-2004, 12:48 AM
I'm too afraid to eat a taco from one of those stands. Diarrhea phobia if you will. :eek:

i was in matamoras mexico for spring break one year after a night at one of their $8 for all you can drink clubs. on the way home the chick I met there convinced me to buy us some "dog" tacos like 4 / $1. She promised me they weren't made out of real dogs, but after eating one I think she was lying.

That is the ONLY time in my life I have not finished eating what I started while wasted.

Lohe
09-24-2004, 02:32 AM
ok Figured this would be a good place to ask this, I have to pick the place for our wedding lunchin, It will be around 40-60 guests any sugestions and some place around highland drive and 4000S. Thats where the wedding is by so would like it some place not to far away. PLEASE HELP ME :)

euro4life
09-24-2004, 03:52 AM
ok Figured this would be a good place to ask this, I have to pick the place for our wedding lunchin, It will be around 40-60 guests any sugestions and some place around highland drive and 4000S. Thats where the wedding is by so would like it some place not to far away. PLEASE HELP ME :)
Dude, you need to cater. That is all.

I could add some amazing vegetarian restaraunts but there aren't many veggies here..

gtiguy
09-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Little World, 1356 S State (Chinese food)
Sugarhouse Barbeque, pretty good bbq and try the jambalaya or red beans
Citrus Cafe (a martini menu!)

Jedi801
09-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Josh, I hope you don't consider Long Life Veggie House good. When I was Vegetarian I like eating at House of Tibet and Evergreen. I used to like Long Life, but ever since my friend got a cock roach in his food I vowed to never go there again.

Has anyone eaten at Pistol Petes off of 7200 s? Some of the best Chile Verde I've ever had. There is a little Italian joint in Sugarhouse on like 2100 S. and Highland that I can't remember the name of, but it is tasty. Tuscany is good. I also sometimes like to go to Macaroni Grille. Porcupine grille at the mouth of Big cottonwood has decent food and an even more decent beer selection.

Makr
09-24-2004, 11:33 AM
I was trying to keep a code of silence for my post count, El Marko has a very difficult time keeping silent, held out for about 16 hours though.

I have a rule about restaurants; if there is more than 2/3 locations, I don't eat there. Chains are usually out for me. This is abviously not a fast rule, but one I try to follow.

Q4u
Sugarhouse BBQ
China grill
Kyoto is pretty good. Sushi sucks in Utah, but I havent been to Nagoya. Ichiban is teh sux, I cant believe how much praise it gets.
Cafe Trang
Log Haven
Cancun Cafe - the best carnitas
Tony Capputtos
Fresco
Cafe Madrid

chmdrm
09-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Almsot true. There are some chains that I like.

Morton's comes to mind. I think there are 5 around the country.

roguewolf77
09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
i can not believe you guys have not mentioned the best restaurant in the state.. i have a lot of clients come in from out of state and i always schedule a lunch at this place... its a great drive and the most incredible views in the fall and spring... it is non other than

..... Silver fork Lodge..... up Big Cottonwood Canyon

thier patio is the shit and the daily pasta special is always the best... i recommend getting it .. take some time out and enjoy the best dinning experience in Utah... well best Utah themed dinning experience... follow it up with a drive to bountifull for a night at

........the Mandrin....

the owner is a stud (kinda qerkie) but great food... its kinda family and group oriented ( what restaurant in bountifull isnt...lol) but hella good food

and finally..

by the U of U you will find the best authentic Greek food in this area code...

.......Aristros.....

make sure you say hi to the owner (if he doesnt say hi first) he is from NY and is only 24 hella cool guy... check out his fine greek wine list.. if you are a conesoir....

Makr
09-24-2004, 11:46 AM
5 is not out of line, small enough that it wouldnt be run by memorandom, and code.

Makr
09-24-2004, 11:49 AM
I am if comes in a box. :stickoutt

euro4life
09-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Josh, I hope you don't consider Long Life Veggie House good. When I was Vegetarian I like eating at House of Tibet and Evergreen. I used to like Long Life, but ever since my friend got a cock roach in his food I vowed to never go there again.

Has anyone eaten at Pistol Petes off of 7200 s? Some of the best Chile Verde I've ever had. There is a little Italian joint in Sugarhouse on like 2100 S. and Highland that I can't remember the name of, but it is tasty. Tuscany is good. I also sometimes like to go to Macaroni Grille. Porcupine grille at the mouth of Big cottonwood has decent food and an even more decent beer selection.
Long Life is good but not the best. And yes, it's a little dirty. Did you actually SEE the cockroach in your friend's food?

Porcupine is really good.
Tuscany, yes, but you need to order two to get your fill. The Salmon is the best I have had yet.

Almost everybody agrees on Cafe Trang. We should eat there sometime. I don't like to go to the Main St. Location. It's a little ghetto for lack of a better word. The Cottonwood Mall local is the other one I know of.

Makr
09-24-2004, 11:52 AM
The service at the cottonwood mall one always sucks.

And you get to look at all of the pretty cars at the one downtown.

black325isgirl
09-24-2004, 11:56 AM

Richard gets sick almost everywhere after his operation. But he has never been sick from the taco stand. It is pretty good and cheap is good... :D

But all this talk is making me hungry. We need to plan a lunch again!

Jedi801
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Long Life is good but not the best. And yes, it's a little dirty. Did you actually SEE the cockroach in your friend's food?

Porcupine is really good.
Tuscany, yes, but you need to order two to get your fill. The Salmon is the best I have had yet.

Almost everybody agrees on Cafe Trang. We should eat there sometime. I don't like to go to the Main St. Location. It's a little ghetto for lack of a better word. The Cottonwood Mall local is the other one I know of.

No I didn't see it, but this isn't one of those friend of a friend stories. It happened to one of my good friends. the sick thing is that he would still go back there.

euro4life
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
The service at the cottonwood mall one always sucks.

And you get to look at all of the pretty cars at the one downtown.
At least it's clean. You can watch the fish and you can kind of see back in the kitchen area. You can't do that by Steve Harris.

euro4life
09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
No I didn't see it, but this isn't one of those friend of a friend stories. It happened to one of my good friends. the sick thing is that he would still go back there.
Weird. I have never even seen a cockroach in UT.

:dunno

Jedi801
09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
they import them.

black325isgirl
09-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Weird. I have never even seen a cockroach in UT.

:dunno

I have seen 3. The first was sitting on top of the drink machine at the Orange Julius in Southtown Mall, wiggling it's antennae at me... :eyecrazy (started bringing lunch every day after that...)

And the next 2 were dead in this apartment that Richard and I went to look at...

Makr
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Im done at noon.

chmdrm
09-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Think I'm done buy 1 or 2

euro4life
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I am never done. I just keep on truckin'

:stickoutt

Makr
09-24-2004, 12:51 PM
after noon when you finally get out of bed. :stickoutt

09-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Im just getting started

:eyecrazy

great thread guys

roguewolf77
09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Im just getting started

:eyecrazy

great thread guys

:devillook getting started for what.... :devillook

09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
:drink3

CABimmer
09-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Cafe Pierpont (carnitas) They rock.

09-24-2004, 04:11 PM
and how, although I ahve to say that pierpont isnt as good as it used to be

black325isgirl
09-24-2004, 04:18 PM
and how, although I ahve to say that pierpont isnt as good as it used to be

I've only been there once. I was 19. he was 33.

chmdrm
09-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Story please

black325isgirl
09-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Story please

Not really much of a story. He was a manager at JCPenney when I worked there. We went to dinner and a jazz game, and the married receptionist hated me cuz she wanted his junk...

But I didn't really want a sugar daddy (WHAT was I thinking?!!??) so that was about it...

chmdrm
09-24-2004, 04:49 PM
I want a sugar daddy.

black325isgirl
09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Oh wait. I thought of a good story involving him. :D

For my birthday he bought me a pair of leopard print flip-flops. My brother worked in the shoe dept. at the time and was talking the the kid that rang them up.
Someone else walked by and heard them talking about how Rick bought me leopard thongs for my birthday, and by the end of the day the entire mall thought that a sr. manager had given me some lingerie.... :eek:

Kitzu
09-24-2004, 06:30 PM
The Italian place somebody mentioned around 2100S and Highland is probably Michaelangelo's -- it's really good. Food is close to Fresco's level, but the atmosphere is kinda lacking.

I'd forgotten about House of Tibet and it's tibetan buddy up in the Aves, Cafe Sha Sha. Both are good, especially for lunch (cheap, excellent, all you can eat buffets).

Cafe Trang downtown rocks. Holes in the wall >>>>> malls. A general rule about Mexican is the grungier, the better. Asian is similar, if you count cat carcasses as negatives. :nono

I figured we were sticking to SL Valley or I'd have mentioned Silver Fork Lodge. I agree - it's great and the view from the deck blows the minds of out of state visitors. I take the 'rents and in-laws up there for brunch whenever they come to town, if I can drag them away from Ruth's Diner (up Emigration Canyon) or L'Avenue Bistro (Mark Eaton's awesome french bistro -- the brunch is to die for).

Gotta disagree with the Mandarin in Bountiful. I keep hearing that it's the best Chinese in the state, but every time I eat there I wonder if the people telling me that have ever had Chinese in a state with more than 100 chinese citizens. If you want Chinese that compares with what you could get on San Francisco, NYC, Houston... try New Hong Kong Tea House and Restaurant. Before they came to town, whenever anybody asked me where the nearest good Chinese was, I always told 'em "San Francisco."

The other restaurant that I can't understand why it's always so highly rated is Q4U. I'm a barbecue nut (comes from living ten years in yeehaw land), and that place wouldn't last a microsecond in Houston or or Memphis or Charlotte or Kansas City or ... Sugarhouse barbecue > Famous Dave's > Rib Alley (meat's great, but sides and sauce not quite up to snuff) >>>> Q4U.

Wedding luncheon in the mid-valley. Hmm. Are you talking about the reception (fancy) or the one that usually comes before the wedding? Mid-valley is a bit of a dead zone restaurant-wise, south of the bountiful options of downtown and the aves/univ area, but north of the chain heaven sandy/ft. union. The best I can think of, and it should've been on my list of great UT restaurants, is Boulevard (2335 Murray Holladay Rd). It's classy, tasty, and pricey.

:redspot :redspot :redspot

///Molloy
09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
The dude above me is dialed in on local spots.

damn. Nice Work.

(are you a food critic for City Weekly... whoa :eek: )

09-24-2004, 06:42 PM
true story matt.

welcome Kitzu

:wave

Kitzu
09-24-2004, 06:48 PM
I lived in Houston for ten years. In Houston it's a crime to eat food at home (or so it seems). It took me a long while, and two kids, before I broke the habit here, but I still eat out more than most.

Oh, and I forgot to agree with the suggestion of Aristo's for good greek. Aristo's if you want great greek on white linen at a classy place, Greek Souvlaki #1 if you want great greek in an ex-McDonald's hole-in-the-wall with the bathroom outside (like at a gas station). :alright

09-24-2004, 06:55 PM
I love a good gyro

:love1

roguewolf77
09-24-2004, 06:59 PM
oh if you are ever in holladay right near the city hall off murray holladay rd. is one hell of a hole in the wall chinesse place its called

.......Mnt. City...

both the owner and the waitress are the same and she is such a delight she even memorizes your life and your choice of plate... not to mention she has matching Discos that she bought at Sharifis Hadleys place... good times... used to take my mom there all the time..
also while we are in the orient.. try

........Kyoto in sugarhouse..
great authentic sushi and japanese dishes....great light tempura

:redspot

wamp
09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Wow, don't need Zagat's w/ you guys around. Agree that Cafe Madrid is nice. Grew up in TX so I'm picky about my Q. Agree w/ Kitzu bout Q4U. Decent meat, but honestly the others aren't that much better, maybe better sauce or sides. I think Q4U gets the nod cause of the downhome southern feel and the cook...... I don't like sushi (strange cause I'm Japns) but I've heard good things about Downtown Mikado. Was not impressed w/ happy sumo, your paying for the ambience. As on here I've heard good things about Fresco, nice "non red sauce pasta" italian. But, was not overly impressed when I went. Great place for a romantic date/dinner. However, I think I went during the owner/chef change last year, maybe better now. La Caille (sp?) noodle house on state "was" a good hole in the wall Vietnamese value. Now they are all spiffed up, went after remodel and the spring rolls weren't as good as before..... Also for a different style Mazza next to Fresco is nice Med area food. Havn't had hummus that good since I moved from NY. Keep it coming guys, I like to take the girl out to new interesting places and I've gotten lots of ideas here.

jteef
09-24-2004, 09:03 PM
this is an awesome thread.

I've been to all the good restaurants in KC, St. Louis, and Atlanta, but none in utah yet. Everybody at work thinks red lobster is the nicest restaurant in the city, olive garden has the best italian food, and you get the best steaks at outback. :nono :mad :mad :mad The bavarian chalet is the only place up here I would consider better than average.

The athenian on 25th street in downtown Ogden is pretty good greek and is cheap

The people at work were telling me this place called rodizio in salt lake was pretty good. I never bothered to check it out though. How is it?

if you're ever in the layton area, do not go to this thai place in a strip mall on main st. called neji's. Thats the place that poisoned me.

Kitzu
09-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Damn, I hope they didn't screw up La Cai (the vietnamese noodle place downtown, not to be mistaken for the stunningly beautiful but hugely overpriced french place near the mouth of the canyons whose only redeeming feature is the awesome push-up bodices on their comely wench servers). That place had great noodles (up there with Cafe Trang).

Mazza's... that's another one I forgot on my list. Great middle eastern. They're a bit pricey now -- they were a super bargain when they first opened, but have cranked up the prices a couple of times. They've priced themselves out of my regular lunch rotation... but damned good hummus, yeah!

Rodizio Grill is a nice change of pace. It's a Brazilian "churrascaria" (grill). The way to go there is to buy the "full rodizio", which gets you all you can eat access to their salad-and-more-bar (much better than it sounds) and an endless supply of meat. The deal with churrascaria's is that servers keep streaming out of the kitchen with a variety of grilled meats (a variety of cuts of beef, ham, pork, chicken, bacon-wrapped turkey, ...), and keep piling more on your plate until you beg them to stop (ok, until you turn a little red-green thing on your table upside down to indicate that you're taking a break). The setting isn't particularly romantic (it's a big place up on the second floor of Trolley Square), but if your date likes good meat, and lots of it (hmm... read that as you will), Rodizio is a good choice. A friend from Brazil who lives in the Bay Area bitches that we have a better brazilian restaurant in SLC than he does in Cali.

I need to find a bimmer to buy already so I can "talk" about more than local food. I joined the boards to learn more and check out the scene. Sadly, since I live in a hyper steep part of the benches (complete with mandatory heated driveway if I don't want to use snowshoes to get home in the winter), so the xi models are my only real option. I won't get to experience the excitement of some of the modded beasts y'all have. :violinist I'm having to try to ignore my wife's hints about how much more practical a WRX would be.

Makr
09-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Dude, dont do the Subaru. :nono It only snows a few times a year, you need a six series, or at least an m car!

Mikado used to be great, but they sold it to the Koreans about five years ago, not as good as it used to be.

I guess I hav'nt been to La-Cai in a while, great noodles.

chmdrm
09-27-2004, 11:15 AM
I was not impressed with La-Cai.

French resturant where no one speaks French is wrong.

SehrSchnell
09-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Had Sushi at GINZA downtown a couple days ago. Pretty good, good enough to give NAGOYA a run for their money. Not too mention a beautiful waitress at GINZA. :eek: :devillook

Jedi801
09-27-2004, 11:24 AM
I was not impressed with La-Cai.

French resturant where no one speaks French is wrong.

La-Cai and La Caille are two different restraunts.

Makr
09-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Pretty good sushi at Jasmine.

SehrSchnell
09-30-2004, 02:53 AM
Pretty good sushi at Jasmine.

Yes, Jasmine is great and they have wonderful lunch special.

KoKo's Kitchen was my lunch stop today, excellent UNAGI. :buttrock

Makr
09-30-2004, 08:27 AM
So Johnny, You had time for someone else at Koko Kitchen, but couldnt make it to Cancun, to hang with us, because of "a business meeting"? :nono :nono

I'm in tears now, wheres the love?

SehrSchnell
09-30-2004, 12:02 PM
So Johnny, You had time for someone else at Koko Kitchen, but couldnt make it to Cancun, to hang with us, because of "a business meeting"? :nono :nono

I'm in tears now, wheres the love?

Ummm, weeeellll, yeah. I had to go to the DA's office (not dA) for a mtg and was with another.....person I work with and we got hungry right away and felt like Koko rats.... :stickoutt It was a day from hell yesterday.

Sorry brah's!!!! :round :round

chmdrm
09-30-2004, 12:05 PM
You went for a nooner didn't you?

SehrSchnell
09-30-2004, 12:08 PM
You went for a nooner didn't you?

lol, no.

09-30-2004, 12:11 PM
:round its ok brah :round

chmdrm
09-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Even old guys can do it once in a while.

///Molloy
09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
:round its ok :rocketwho brah :round

:round Dear God make it stop :round
:rocketwho

09-30-2004, 01:23 PM
:round Dear Molloy, No. :round

Lohe
08-26-2005, 02:17 AM
I like burger king

Makr
08-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Holy great old thread. I forgot that I used to post more than one liners. Henny Youngman style. :D

chasmanbmwfan
08-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Tonight it's going to be Thai Siam -- Coconut Soup.

2002maniac
08-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Siegfried's Deli: Great german food, lunch only (and german food store)

Taco stands at Sears: $0.50/taco, the one on State Street is best, imo

yumm

colleran
08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Ahh Sushi wednesday night 1/2 price sushi (and basic rolls) and $3 scooners...can be very busy get there before 6 to avoid a wait.

Cafe Trio for italian

Shambala in the avenues for cheap and healthy...kind of like chinese but tibetan...good lunch buffet, $6.50.

No Name Pub in Park City for Burgers and Wings

bradb1us
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Two words:

Zinn Bistro

The best food in Utah, period.

chasmanbmwfan
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Two words:

Zinn Bistro

The best food in Utah, period.

Two words: Hostess Nazi

I caught Zin Bistro for lunch the other day. I was one of only three guys in the entire place. :)

bradb1us
08-30-2005, 06:16 PM

I caught Zin Bistro for lunch the other day. I was one of only three guys in the entire place. :)

That is so true. I have never understood why only women frequent that place.

My parents are friends with the owners, so we are treated very well. I assumed that was the case for everyone?

euro4life
08-30-2005, 06:24 PM
That is so true. I have never understood why only women frequent that place.

My parents are friends with the owners, so we are treated very well. I assumed that was the case for everyone?
How old are the women there?

09-03-2005, 08:01 PM

:paranoid:

SehrSchnell
09-03-2005, 08:33 PM
I will agree, the Zin is good. Though I have never been there, my darling wife was nice enough to bring home a johnny-bag.

chasmanbmwfan
09-04-2005, 12:14 AM

Desperate suburban housewives. Prepare yourselves for Floral skirts.

09-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Tonight I ate with some friends at Lugano...

its was fine.

Fin

chmdrm
09-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Desperate suburban housewives. Prepare yourselves for Floral skirts.

Floral skirts scare me. :help

jteef
09-07-2005, 09:41 PM

were you the one who left the citysearch review?

Oak
09-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh wait. I thought of a good story involving him. :D

For my birthday he bought me a pair of leopard print flip-flops. My brother worked in the shoe dept. at the time and was talking the the kid that rang them up.
Someone else walked by and heard them talking about how Rick bought me leopard thongs for my birthday, and by the end of the day the entire mall thought that a sr. manager had given me some lingerie.... :eek:

:lol I'm pretty sure I have met this guy and I'm sure either myself or my wife know him from our previous years in SLC.

chasmanbmwfan
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
were you the one who left the citysearch review?

No, but the behavior of the hostess there is common knowledge.

Makr
09-13-2005, 04:42 PM
:wave

DarkGift
09-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Wow....oldie but a goodie. My .02 since I missed the original thread.

Miramar - If you are into spicy shrimp ask for the "camarones super calientes, muy muy picosos" (extra extra spicey, if you don't specify they are not very "super calientes") Mmmmm, heaven.

Rodizio. Best local churrascaria by far. Samba Grill and Braza Grill don't compare. On a side note churrascaria doesn't mean grill, it means BBQ restaurant (or rotisserie/spit room). "Grelha" is grill (so "grelhados" are grilled meats and "churrasco" is BBQ.) But they do not use sauces like we do, it is rock-salted meat cooked on a spit. In Brazil it is often served with a salsa-vinegrette and "farofa" (manioc-flour concoction) Mmmm.

Thai Siam - used to be good, but after the locals (the ones who can't handle the spice of catsup and need to cut it with mayo) complained you basically get coconut milk instead of your curry dish :mad

///Molloy
09-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Wow....oldie but a goodie. My .02 since I missed the original thread.

Miramar - If you are into spicy shrimp ask for the "camarones super calientes, muy muy picosos" (extra extra spicey, if you don't specify they are not very "super calientes") Mmmmm, heaven.

Rodizio. Best local churrascaria by far. Samba Grill and Braza Grill don't compare. On a side note churrascaria doesn't mean grill, it means BBQ restaurant (or rotisserie/spit room). "Grelha" is grill (so "grelhados" are grilled meats and "churrasco" is BBQ.) But they do not use sauces like we do, it is rock-salted meat cooked on a spit. In Brazil it is often served with a salsa-vinegrette and "farofa" (manioc-flour concoction) Mmmm.

Thai Siam - used to be good, but after the locals (the ones who can't handle the spice of catsup and need to cut it with mayo) complained you basically get coconut milk instead of your curry dish :mad

todd, do you speak portugese?

euro4life
09-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Yes. Todd is a talented man.

DarkGift
09-15-2005, 03:33 PM

Falo mermão!

black325isgirl
09-15-2005, 06:57 PM
:lol I'm pretty sure I have met this guy and I'm sure either myself or my wife know him from our previous years in SLC.

Really? That's funny.

I think his last name was Aller or something...

Oak
09-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Really? That's funny.

I think his last name was Aller or something...

Yup. He's married and living in Boise now.

PCUT
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
My first post, in which I, as one of the owner's of Moab Brewery, have to mention it as one of the best restaurants in Utah. Next time any of you heads down there, PM me for an "owner's discount".

Makr
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
My first post, in which I, as one of the owner's of Moab Brewery, have to mention it as one of the best restaurants in Utah. Next time any of you heads down there, PM me for an "owner's discount".

Cool, and welcome. I eat there everytime I do a motorcycle trip down that way.

Makr
09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Oh Yeah, watch out for the other vessel owner that swears by "someone else who has a resturant on Moab", jalapeno beer. :dunno

SehrSchnell
09-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Hey there, glad to see you made it here! I met you at the WBMWCCA event at the E-Center. Is this the M5 driver or your daughter with the Celica? Anyway, glad to see you made it here. (I am Johnny with the silver DINAN 5).

I still have those cards you dropped me, I am heading to Moab here in a couple weeks, will glady use them! :redspot

PCUT
09-20-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm the guy with the LMB M5. Let me know when you need more cards.
PCUT

jteef
10-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Do "private club" style restaurants (New Yorker, etc) function the same way as Utah bars/clubs do? Where you can just go there buy a membership and it all works out?

Also, any new recommendations to take a lady friend to in downtown salt lake or the mountains?

chasmanbmwfan
10-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I believe the answer is yes. My recollection is that the New Yorker offers a one-week membership for $10 or under. If you plan on going out a lot, you can get an "equity" membership that covers all Gastronomy private clubs (New Yorker, Club Baci, Oyster Bar, Market Street Bar in Cottonwood) for around $125 with $30 annual dues.

One of my favorite downtown restaurants is Baci. Park City has several that I like including Riverhorse, Grappa, Washoe (sp?), and Terigo (sp?).

Cameron Hauck
10-13-2005, 02:31 AM
I believe the answer is yes. My recollection is that the New Yorker offers a one-week membership for $10 or under. If you plan on going out a lot, you can get an "equity" membership that covers all Gastronomy private clubs (New Yorker, Club Baci, Oyster Bar, Market Street Bar in Cottonwood) for around $125 with $30 annual dues.
One of my favorite downtown restaurants is Baci. Park City has several that I like including Riverhorse, Grappa, Washoe (sp?), and Terigo (sp?).

MMMMM. I thinkg the New Yorker card is only one hundo a year.

but, you have to be 21 so I just go to Molca Salsa...

jteef
10-13-2005, 12:06 PM
This Baci place sounds interesting. Refusing to eat at the olive garden means I haven't had Italian in months. Will I need reservations or anything for a Thursday night?

black325isgirl
10-13-2005, 12:46 PM
This Baci place sounds interesting. Refusing to eat at the olive garden means I haven't had Italian in months. Will I need reservations or anything for a Thursday night?

We went there a couple weeks ago on a weeknight (I forget which...)
It was pretty busy and we got horrible service. Our waiter would wander off and we wouldn't see him for 20 minutes at a time. He also never got around to refilling my water or bringing napkins even though I asked him 3 times:mad

But the food was ok...:dunno

///Molloy
10-13-2005, 01:41 PM
anyone else think Fresco pones for Italian in upper sugerhouse ? I do.

chasmanbmwfan
10-13-2005, 06:54 PM
We went there a couple weeks ago on a weeknight (I forget which...)
It was pretty busy and we got horrible service. Our waiter would wander off and we wouldn't see him for 20 minutes at a time. He also never got around to refilling my water or bringing napkins even though I asked him 3 times:mad
But the food was ok...:dunno

that kind of stuff really bugs me. I go there often enough that I know who the good waiters/waitresses are and specifically ask for them.

jteef
01-20-2006, 04:07 PM
So...I still haven't been to one of the private club style restaurants, but the concept intrigues me. Does this mean I can go to a restaurant and be guaranteed not to hear screaming / whining babies? because that is worth a lot more than $100 / year.

SehrSchnell
01-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Newest quick little killer food stop, RUMBI GRILL. Damn tasty.

euro4life
01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Newest quick little killer food stop, RUMBI GRILL. Damn tasty.
Concur.

I have been there 3 times last week. I got burned out on it for awhile but now it is back. Bali tofu veggie bowl FTW.

SehrSchnell
01-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Concur.

I have been there 3 times last week. I got burned out on it for awhile but now it is back. Bali tofu veggie bowl FTW.

Mmmmm, pulled pork sandwich. Numtastic.

berlinetta
01-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Newest quick little killer food stop, RUMBI GRILL. Damn tasty. +2! I had my first rumbi experience last week, a little chicken teryaki sandwich and it was amaizing. I'm now hooked

gahjeen
02-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Visited SLC over the weekend. Checked out PF Chang's. Their Szechuan Beef was incredible. They told me it was their "mild version." Sweat pouring down the back of my neck. Consumed at least a pitcher of water. And all these while it was in the Teen's outside.

Makr
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Visited SLC over the weekend. Checked out PF Chang's. Their Szechuan Beef was incredible. They told me it was their "mild version." Sweat pouring down the back of my neck. Consumed at least a pitcher of water. And all these while it was in the Teen's outside.

Cool. I will have to try that one.

SehrSchnell
02-09-2006, 06:29 PM

PF rocks. Though I never have tried the beef.

What did you think of little fair city anyway?

gahjeen
02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
PF rocks. Though I never have tried the beef.
What did you think of little fair city anyway?

I was only in town a little over 24 hours (wheels down/wheels up). Don't want to sound like a Chamber of Commerce ad but I found the downtown area quaint with some great rustic buildings. The view from all sides with the snow capped mountain ranges was spectacular.

I was there Sunday afternoon to Monday afternoon right after your Saturday snow storm.

It was sunny and brisk. Even my Hertz rental Ford Mustang was running great because of the cool ambient temp.

Had business in the subarbs: Sandy, Draper and west over to Toole.

I wouldn't mind coming back again and spend a little more time. Looks like a great place. Snowboarding right after breakfast, a round of golf in the valley in the afternoon and a good dinner downtown in the evening...all in the same day!

SehrSchnell
02-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I was only in town a little over 24 hours (wheels down/wheels up). Don't want to sound like a Chamber of Commerce ad but I found the downtown area quaint with some great rustic buildings. The view from all sides with the snow capped mountain ranges was spectacular.

I was there Sunday afternoon to Monday afternoon right after your Saturday snow storm.

It was sunny and brisk. Even my Hertz rental Ford Mustang was running great because of the cool ambient temp.

Had business in the subarbs: Sandy, Draper and west over to Toole.

I wouldn't mind coming back again and spend a little more time. Looks like a great place. Snowboarding right after breakfast, a round of golf in the valley in the afternoon and a good dinner downtown in the evening...all in the same day!

Good to hear. Yeah, it's not too shabby here but then again, we don't have any oceans and I miss that.

Look us up when you come back and we'll grab a brew or something.

John

gahjeen
02-10-2006, 11:30 PM
John,

Sounds like a plan.

Larry