PDA

View Full Version : Pvgp - 2021

jbd5015
07-26-2021, 11:08 AM
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Got back around 2:30 Sunday afternoon from an awesome weekend on the road in Wolfie!

Great running into some old friends and making some new ones! If you are reading this and have not been to the event, put it on your list. The BMW crowd is well represented and all cars are welcome, from clunkers to concours.

Knock on wood, Wolfie performed very well. Given I havent sorted out the gauges, I was just running it based on the famed reliability of the M30, and it didnt let me down!

Nothing like being able to walk around and see EVERY type of car imaginable, but also listen and watch some great vintage racers ripping around a street course! BMW has a great view of a faster part of the track.

Cheers,

-Jeff

DesktopDave
07-26-2021, 04:23 PM
I was there too! Did you get a guest pass to the BMW owner's area? I left the E24 at home and took the Miata instead. Parked nearby in Oakland, walked to the event. Street parking is free on Sundays and food is a lot cheaper in and around Pitt's campus.

It was a bit hot, but at least it was dry. They put on a great show on Sunday. We caught the last of the racers. My son was momentarily stunned by how loud racecars are...especially this 914-6 campaigned by a local Porsche shop. Speedy little ride in the over two liter class.

Shipper
07-27-2021, 01:28 AM
took the miata over the e24. Shame on you!

1986series6
07-27-2021, 07:26 AM
Jeff,

Was great to see you and your wife this weekend. I left on Monday was home by 3 PM.
Maybe we can get an "Idiotfest" for this year.

Bob V

carsnplanes
07-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Sorry I missed it guys! Speaking of the Northeast Idiotfest, Vintage at Saratoga is coming October 8-10. Trying to get a group of our regulars together for this. I know Bob said a maybe. Anyone else?

JimPA
07-27-2021, 08:31 PM
Enjoyed PVGP, especially without the typical 90 deg plus and/or rain. Lots of cars and visitors Saturday. Sunday was much less busy but, at least in the BMW area, a great time and location to enjoy the racing.

We are going to Saratoga. I'll let others speak for themselves about their Saratoga plans but several of our SESF regulars have also registered.

jbd5015
07-28-2021, 08:14 AM
Ill be registering for Saratoga here shortly. Looking forward to it.

1986series6
07-28-2021, 08:15 AM
Sorry I can't make it. AACA Hershey is the same weekend and I registered already.

Wishing you all a great Saratoga "Idiotfest".

DesktopDave
07-28-2021, 03:17 PM
I think the highlight of my day was hearing a SAAB Sonnett V4, topless with a roll bar, ripping around in the under 2L class.

took the miata over the e24. Shame on you!
LOL. If I was registering, it would definitely have been the BMW. But the non-op A/C, questionable coolant temp sender, etc. made me think twice.

And it's so damn hard not to drive a Miata when one is available. That little car is unquestionably a masterpiece, even my overweight NC GT...

DesktopDave
07-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Sorry I missed it guys! Speaking of the Northeast Idiotfest, Vintage at Saratoga is coming October 8-10. Trying to get a group of our regulars together for this. I know Bob said a maybe. Anyone else?

Hmmm...put me down as a 'maybe' too. FIL lives almost next door in Glens Falls, I'll visit them too!