PDA

View Full Version : No compression

Bry
02-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Dang. This isn't too great. My motor has no compression-bent valves.

Well, this is going to be pretty expensive. My dad wants to know if he and I want to do it ourselves. I need my car, so I don't think I will have time to get it all fixed myself. I'm going to have the mechanic do it.

JamesM3M5
02-28-2002, 08:51 AM
How many cylinders have low compression? Barry at bimmerworld said his M3 had low compression in 2 cylinders but that thing ran like the dickens (whatever that is). Compression tests on a cold engine are not accurate. Have a leakdown test performed to make sure it's the valves that are bent. If your father bent the valves when he drove it, it would have made some pretty nasty noises. I don't think it would have started and idled, either.

JamesM

M3Pilot
02-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Oh dear that not to good:( How do you do a leak down test?

Bry
02-28-2002, 06:45 PM
Okay, I just got a report. I have zero compression on all cylinders. The cams aren't in the correct positions, and the crankshaft is 180 degrees from where it should be in relation to the motor. All the valves are bent, and the head is comming off to check for lower end damage to the pistons.

If I have damage to the lower end, I might have to forgo fixing the motor, and drop another S-14 in, and sell mine for cheap...

This is really heartbreaking, especially when I have my first auto-x comming up soon...

JamesM3M5
02-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey Bry,

A friend of mine has his S14 up for sale, $3000 including the brain and wiring harness. I know this engine is strong. He will have compression and leakdown numbers soon. I've seen just the engines for sale for more than $3000. You can sell the spare brain, wiring, and accessories to recover some of the cost.

Let me know if you're interested.

JamesM

Bry
02-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Hmm... I might be interested. I was quoted 3,700 for the price to fix it all. Could you give me the details of the motor?

Thanks for the help.