PDA

View Full Version : Help.. S52 engine swap

asianguy1989
03-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Hey guys,
so I had a an S52 engine swap on my 328i, with an EWS delete on the ECU.
the car cranks but won't start! Seems like the car isn't getting fuel and spark.

Anyone here encounter this problem before?

328 Power 04
03-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Do you have some diagnostics equipment? Sounds like you don't have ews deleted...

asianguy1989
03-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Do you have some diagnostics equipment? Sounds like you don't have ews deleted...

So the shop that did my swap, told me that once he plug in the OBD 2 code reader... He said nothing came up, as in the code reader doesn't recognize the car....

I brought an ECU from Kassel performance with EWS delete.... So now I'm not sure if it's the ECU itself that is the problem or not...

328 Power 04
03-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Does the check engine light come up when you first turn ignition key (during the 'system test')?

My 2nd guess is that your ecu isn't getting power.

asianguy1989
03-12-2016, 09:16 PM
I have no clue... i would have to wait until monday to check since the shop is closed tomorrow... Is there anything else i should look for?
I may just end up buying another ECU and hope for the best! ...

328iJunkie
03-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Sounds like EWS wasnt deleted assuming the CEL comes on. We deal with plenty of swaps ;)
www.markertmotorworks.com

hakentt
03-13-2016, 12:29 AM
I brought an ECU from Kassel performance with EWS delete.... So now I'm not sure if it's the ECU itself that is the problem or not...

Kassel is a fraud!

asianguy1989
03-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Sounds like EWS wasnt deleted assuming the CEL comes on. We deal with plenty of swaps ;)
www.markertmotorworks.com (http://www.markertmotorworks.com)

Darn.. too late i just brought an ECU from someone else... only if u gotten back to me sooner...

- - - Updated - - -

Kassel is a fraud!

Yea, if this ecu works.. Kassel is a fraud!! haha

pbonsalb
03-15-2016, 01:25 PM
May be a wiring issue. Harness not connected properly.

asianguy1989
03-15-2016, 04:55 PM
May be a wiring issue. Harness not connected properly.

I asked the shop to double check the harness and they told me everything is correct.... So I'm gonna have to wait and see....

Jan Y
03-17-2016, 07:04 AM
No fuel and no ignition - symptom of dead crankshaft sensor.
EWS still in the car? Pin No 7 need to be removed (green).

328 Power 04
03-17-2016, 11:45 AM
No fuel and no ignition - symptom of dead crankshaft sensor.
EWS still in the car? Pin No 7 need to be removed (green).

crankshaft position sensor is valid point, but shop cannot communicate to ecu, points to something higher up.

Regarding ews, if it is disabled in ECU, you do not need to remove anything.

Jan Y
03-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Don't be so sure.

328 Power 04
03-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Don't be so sure.

100% sure, I do it all day.

Jan Y
03-17-2016, 11:30 PM
One time we are lost two hours to find out why engine don't starting (in drift car below my post). Appeared that "+" comes to ECU to the pin that receiving signal from EWS. The most interesting - this ECU never had EWS function from date of birth. But it is Bosch 413.
Also some producers of "chip tuning" with ECU deleting recommends to cut this wire.

Asianguy,your engine really lost ignition and fuel supply? Or it only seems?

328 Power 04
03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
This is MS41, so the ews procedure can be quite different.

There were some factory MS41 ecu with EWS disable from software, so it was easy to figure out which byte switch it was by comparing one with EWS and one without.

MS40 is a totally different story.

asianguy1989
03-19-2016, 12:04 AM
This is MS41, so the ews procedure can be quite different.

There were some factory MS41 ecu with EWS disable from software, so it was easy to figure out which byte switch it was by comparing one with EWS and one without.

MS40 is a totally different story.

Hey bro,
what do u mean by comparing between the two? So do I really need to disconnect the pin?
My New ECU is coming in early next week due to some delay during shipping...

I'm so confused! Haha

- - - Updated - - -

crankshaft position sensor is valid point, but shop cannot communicate to ecu, points to something higher up.

I brought the same engine off of a running car, the owner who sold me the engine sent me video of it completely running. And also sent me the compression test of all 6 cylinders. All test at 180 on all six cylinder also.... I don't think it's the cam sensor.... But thinking it as A electrical problem.... The engine came complete with all sensors still attached to the engine harness...

- - - Updated - - -

One time we are lost two hours to find out why engine don't starting (in drift car below my post). Appeared that "+" comes to ECU to the pin that receiving signal from EWS. The most interesting - this ECU never had EWS function from date of birth. But it is Bosch 413.
Also some producers of "chip tuning" with ECU deleting recommends to cut this wire.

Asianguy,your engine really lost ignition and fuel supply? Or it only seems?

Yes.... It cranks but would not fire...and the engine isn't getting any gas. Quoted by my mechanic.
he told me its either the ECU/ Or engine harness... But everything was working and running prior to the removal of the engine.

Jan Y
03-19-2016, 04:06 AM
I don't understand what prevents to do it? (disconnect the pin on EWS) If it helps - nice! If not - so not.
I work with BMW a lot of years but surprises appears again an again.

328 Power 04
03-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Ok this doesn't have to be this difficult...

Pop in the old 328i ECU. If engine starts, you identified Kassels junky ECU.

asianguy1989
03-19-2016, 03:07 PM
Ok this doesn't have to be this difficult...

Pop in the old 328i ECU. If engine starts, you identified Kassels junky ECU.

would it be safe to run it with the 328i ECU on the m3 motor?

328 Power 04
03-19-2016, 03:41 PM
To start, yes. To drive, highly unrecommended.

- - - Updated - - -

If it works with 328i ecu, you can ship the ECU to me (or 328iJunkie, either or) to convert it to M3 programming and working fully, and EWS functional, or even deleted.

However, I doubt it's the ECU. Kassel may be considered a thief, but has had success with those ECUs.

Jan Y
03-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Pop in the old 328i ECU.

Good idea!

asianguy1989
03-19-2016, 04:15 PM
To start, yes. To drive, highly unrecommended.

- - - Updated - - -

If it works with 328i ecu, you can ship the ECU to me (or 328iJunkie, either or) to convert it to M3 programming and working fully, and EWS functional, or even deleted.

However, I doubt it's the ECU. Kassel may be considered a thief, but has had success with those ECUs.

okay good idea! That's what I would do and will keep u posted!
Thanks!

asianguy1989
04-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Problem finally sloved and the swap is officially completed!
Long story short.... Moved my car to another shop because the shop totally didn't know what they were doing.
New shop found out that the old shop used a manual engine harness into an automatic car. After swapping back to the auto engine harness it fired right up!

Kassel performance ECU is perfectly working fine along with the other ECU I have brought.

I would like to thank you all members who gave me advices.

Next mod: saving up for a manual tranny swap.