PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me the basic rundown on tuning?

CTJoe
02-29-2016, 05:17 PM
I just bought a 2000 540i, and I don't have the money for something like a supercharger (I'll probably save that for the day I can afford an M5), but I'd like to do some relatively inexpensive mods that could give me a bit more HP and torque.

Please advise me on what types of tunes there are, and what the tradeoffs are for them. Also, what are other good additions to intake, exhaust, etc.,, while I'm at it?

There seems to be a bewildering number of mods out there, few if any are very cheap, and I'd like to avoid spending my family's money on stuff that doesn't work. That, or maybe there's a good book about performance/handling improvements for BMWs out there that you can recommend?

Finally, I was wondering if these code errors might be affecting performance. The previous owner thinks that at least one of the cats might be bad, and I'm wondering if that might be creating backpressure that's holding it back some. Thank you very much for your time!565384

autowa
03-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Lol I think you have have a few issues to address before the cel/codes. The -loose bolts in the trany/4th gear grind/rear main leaking/worn clutch might need some attention first...