PDA

View Full Version : What kind of suspension setups do you have?

Bav///Man
02-10-2002, 04:14 AM
I am wondering because I am going to be adding suspension hopefully. I am thinking of going GC Coilovers/Koni Adjustables.

Also, I have 17X8 on 15mm spacers, and when I first got the car it had 225/45's and the size I needed was 215/40...this was fine in the rear, but the front rubbed and eventually would grip my fenders and pull them down (made little indents, not a huge deal but annoying to fix). The 215/40 new tires fixed this problem...my question is, due to my wheel width and spacers, if I keep this size in the front can I lower the car without encountering this same problem? Thanks. Worst case I will roll the fenders.

Bry
02-10-2002, 12:29 PM
My setup I have stock wheels, on stock (going dead) springs, and on Munroe shocks (or something like that). The ride is terrible, and mushy. I am getting an excellent deal from my cousin and I am going to have Bilsteins with Eibachs. I was going to go the ground control route, but I don't have the funds necessary and I need to fix my suspension before I go autocrossing.

I don't really know about the rubbing. It would only rub at full lock right? I suggest you try different height settings and turn the wheel to full lock and see if it does rub (with the GC). Good luck.

BTW, do you have any pictures of your car?

Delliott00
02-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Hey Bry....

Let me know when you get around to the suspension install. I'm still looking at a couple of M3s but I suspect the suspension will be replaced right away.... I'd be interested in maybe helping out one afternoon so I can see whats involved.

I did the suspension on my A4, so I'm pretty good with that stuff, just never done it on an M3.

-Dave

'97 M3 Dakar (just a few mods)
'00 A4 1.8T Quattro (tons of mods)
Looking for: E30 M3 weekend/track car

Bry
02-11-2002, 08:54 PM
Dave,

I will probably be doing it the weekand of March 9th and 10th. I would love some help. I don't think I have all the tools (don't I need a spring compressor?). I will talk to you when I get some more information about it.

Currently I am doing my tranny, and tensioner. My car is up on blocks, exhaust off, driveshaft off, now I have to get the right socket. I'm having some problems with my car though, it was driven with the timing chain tensioner put in wrong (bad bad no no... I didn't do it though) and the car will not start. I don't have the driveshaft on or the exhaust, so I am waiting until I put everything back together to see. I hope I don't have any bent valves, or the timing is off. If it doesn't work, it is off to Terry Sayther Automotive to get fixed... :bawl

I'll keep you updated. Would you be free on this weekand?

Bry
02-11-2002, 08:56 PM
By the way, have you had any luck finding M3's? I spent about 2 years finding mine. It isn't perfect, but it is exactly what I was looking for.

Let me know how your search is going.

Delliott00
02-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Bry,

Yes, you'll need a spring compressor. cheap ones are <$30 but are a pain to use. An air compressor and impact wrench helps alot.

I haven't looked at the E30 suspension process yet, but other than the spring compressor it should require normal tools (big metric sockets, a vise, etc).

I had Chris look at one with me on Sunday. It needs a little work but is in awesome shape. I might make him an offer depending on how much it will cost to get back into good mech condition.

There are a few more around. One in Dallas that sounds good. A few more out of state, but I'd rather not drive that far to look at one.

If you hear of any, by all means let me know.

I might be around this weekend, depends on whether I end up with the M3 I mentioned above. Email me later in the week. I hope your timing chain didn't jump out of sequence, I hear the E30 M3 is an interference engine which means major valve damage is possible.

Later!

-Dave

Mark S.
02-15-2002, 10:31 AM
i am running bilstein sports and eibach springs on my m3. the car came with h & r springs, and i just didn't like them. i had the eibach springs on a previous m3 and still liked them better.

when i installed my suspension on my first e30 m3 back in 1992, i did not need a spring compressor to do the job.

mark

Bry
02-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply mark! How has your car been lately?

Mark S.
02-15-2002, 11:44 AM
i haven't been driving it much. i am in the process of doing some work to it, so it's kind of off the road for now. i'll have pics soon of what's been done. i'm also thinking about selling my wheels for something new. we'll have to see what happens.

how is the chain tensioner going on your car?

mark

Bry
02-15-2002, 02:19 PM
I got everything installed *correctly* now. I am pretty sure I trouble shot the problem.

The motor was flooded when it was last turned off, because it was run for a VERY short time. Also, when I was removing the wire loom, cyl #4's spark plug was unplugged:confused: I have no idea how. I am also running a valve cleaner/injector cleaner, so the cyl would have been coated in the stuff. When I tried to start my car, with the exhaust off, it was making odd noises (no backpressure, and no suppression from exhaust) and it wasa also flooded. That would be a total explanation for why it wouldn't start. I am going to be fixing the tranny today, and put everything back together. Then I will tell you how it all worked out.

I am pretty sure that the above is correct. I have not tested my car yet, so I don't know if this is true. But by looking at the timing chain, everything looks fine, and the above would be most likely true.

I also got my weathershield cover, and I just put it on. It's great! I will post some pictures in a second.

Bav///Man
02-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Bry
My setup I have stock wheels, on stock (going dead) springs, and on Munroe shocks (or something like that). The ride is terrible, and mushy. I am getting an excellent deal from my cousin and I am going to have Bilsteins with Eibachs. I was going to go the ground control route, but I don't have the funds necessary and I need to fix my suspension before I go autocrossing.

I don't really know about the rubbing. It would only rub at full lock right? I suggest you try different height settings and turn the wheel to full lock and see if it does rub (with the GC). Good luck.

BTW, do you have any pictures of your car?

Bry - sorry it took me so long to respond, but my pics can be found here (http://www.e30m3therealm3.com/yourm3-d.html) on www.e30m3therealm3.com. Just scroll down to Dave Fick...the mod list is not completely current, but the pics are! Hope everything gets OK with your car soon

Bry
02-25-2002, 01:20 AM
Very nice car! I love seeing pictures of peoples cars at the track.

I'm having my car taken to the mechainc tomorrow, so I hope I will get everything figured out shortly. :)