PDA

View Full Version : Conseidering 97 540i...Have Questions??

AFJm3
02-09-2002, 07:30 PM
I'm considering a 1997 540i and have some questions.

1.What is the actual BHP on these cars? I was told they have
285hp at the crank so with the average 17% driveline loss I'm
assuming something around 237bhp?
2.Any recalls or upgrades that I should be looking for? Common
problems? Reliability?
3.Gas mileage....what's everyone getting?

A big thanks to all who reply!

Speeyuk
02-16-2002, 06:25 PM
I'm in the same boat you are, bud. Anyone with any info on the '97 540's?

makken
02-21-2002, 02:25 AM
I was looking for a older e39 540i a while ago... turned out to be too expensive

I think they have something like 282HP/~320lb torque

not sure on the problems or recalls.
540i's come pretty much fully loaded, (most of the options on the 528i's are standard on the 540i's). An important note would be that the 1997 model doesn't come standard with the HPS (Head Protection System).
Gas milage, i'm guessing you should average about 19 or so...

buttnoid02
03-04-2002, 01:24 AM
I just bought a '97 540i 6spd with 55k from a fellow BMW CCA'er. In fact, I just picked it up today and drove it 650 miles home. Gas mileage according to the OBC was 21.7, and I averaged 70+/- mph. As far as BHP/Torque is concerned, who cares!! It has boatloads of both in all 6 gears! Believe me, you will fall in love with the car once you drive it. Do not get the automatic as you will be disappointed.

Look at the forum/digest on roadfly.com under the BMW section. You will find tons of info. on the car. Check msn.carpoint.com for reviews and ratings (they're all good).

My research was pretty extensive and took about 3-4 months. I looked on eBay, roadfly.com, and Autotrader, as well as the Roundel magazine from the club. The cars are out there, you just need to look.

I'm new to this forum, but I'd be happy to share more info. if anyone is interested. Obviously, I haven't had it long enough to share much; and I don't want to brag about the car, but it's unbelievable!

(Mine does not have the HPS, but it does have side airbags, which were an option that year).