PDA

View Full Version : How to install m54b30 vanos exhaust can into m50tu

spyderg0d
08-16-2015, 05:23 PM
I have installed the intake can successfully and noticeable performance upgrade. Now. I want the exhaust side put in. I have the tray and lifters that orig match. How would I match up the primary timing gear? Same as the orig 4 bolt style? And ditch the outer can time plate to clear the valve cover I'm assuming? I'd rather have info before I possibly bend some valves and do another whole rebuild.

spyderg0d
08-17-2015, 06:42 PM
If I take the timing gears off the m54b30 exhaust cam. The front lobes alighn properly with the rear block used by the timeing tool. The primary timing gear aligns per tooth the same as the stock four bolt cam primary timing gear. Both m54 and m50tu primary timing gears have roughly the same retardation between the elongated slots, correct? If so doesn't that mean that both the stock and m54 cam will both have the equivilant primary timing, correct? (Obviously besides duration and lift) also if the secondary timing gear is equivalent to each other, wouldn't that mean the cam is interchangeable? Delete the inner vanos gear and the exhaust can sensor disc on the m54 cam and it should fit. Correct?

- - - Updated - - -

However. Now seeing the m54 exhaust cam in detail, I see the cam position disc is indeed needed as to fill the space to secure the secondary timing mechanisms and sprocket. .. However when I place it on the tray and drop it in my spare head, it just barely fits.. Which I imagine would cause it an extreme pain to install the secondary timing chain. But. Should be possible with removable bolt/nuts for tightening the orig tensioners located on the front timing cover. So if logical sense says it can be done? Why do they say it will not work? Has anyone tried and failed? Why do they say this can will not work in the m50tu?

hakentt
08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
M54B30 exhaust camshaft has the same lift and duration as M50B25 camshaft. So I don't know what the hell are you doing there, why are you wasting your time with this?

spyderg0d
08-18-2015, 06:08 PM
I read somewhere that both m54 cams had the same dimensions. .... Well ash duck!!!!? Thanks. *I'm a total ash. Smh. So there is no to mcguiver way out of a good exhaust cam... Fml

hakentt
08-18-2015, 07:33 PM
there is no point in installing any camshafts more aggressive than stock on 2.5L engine. You simply do not have more flow and compression to make more aggressive cams give more power.

spyderg0d
08-19-2015, 05:28 PM
... Then why are there numerous thread on installing s50 and whatnot on the 2.5/2.8 engines? It may be small. But it deff helps. I wanted to know exactly what i was doing when i finally ever get my rings for my 3.0 stroker. Being familiar with differences also helps me learn. So. .. Whatever dude.