PDA

View Full Version : Rust Bubble? Input appreciated!

Naras
07-10-2015, 12:10 AM
So apparently I have some rust on the passenger quarterpanel by the grommet or whichever part that is... Did anyone experience this as well? Is it worth getting it fixed? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2nd image is just for some context/reference as to where it is on the car.. and the size i guess

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=541095&stc=1http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=541096&stc=1

Critter7r
07-10-2015, 01:53 PM
That grommet isn't stock. It's usually put there by someone drilling a hole to do paintless dent removal.

Naras
07-10-2015, 03:49 PM
What... no wonder why it wasn't on the drivers side.. and in an awkward spot to begin with.. thanks man

Stück
07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
As Critter stated that is an access hole some asshat drilled to perform PDR on the quarter panel. It wasn't sealed well, likely just had that grommet shoved in it, and over time the exposed metal rusted.

Its easily fixed but doing so will likely require repainting the quarter panel and blending it into the tail panel and c-pillar.

Dakar is notoriously hard to match as it ages and fades, its entirely likely you'll end up with a nice albiet incorrectly colored quarter panel.

Personally I would just wait till it gets worse to address it.

Naras
07-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Thats some good input.. thanks man.. I was planning on getting it done by JMK BMW as they are pretty reputable in terms of body work, but I didn't think of the fade..

I like the idea of waiting until it gets worse, but should I assume that there isn't more damage hiding under there?

Stück
07-10-2015, 06:53 PM
With rust there is always more than you see, but something like that is easily accessed from the back if you remove the trim panel. It is most likely only on the exterior surface, but removing the panel will tell the full story.

That's what always bothers me about PDF guys, in the long run they often cause much more damage than the little ding they repaired....

champignon
07-10-2015, 08:04 PM
With rust there is always more than you see, but something like that is easily accessed from the back if you remove the trim panel. It is most likely only on the exterior surface, but removing the panel will tell the full story.

That's what always bothers me about PDF guys, in the long run they often cause much more damage than the little ding they repaired....

The PDR work I've had done in the last few years has not required any drilling, the guy(s) have used existing holes to do their dirty work. Drilling a hole like that and plugging it in that fashion, as pictured, is a sign of really sloppy work.

Critter7r
07-11-2015, 09:30 AM
The PDR work I've had done in the last few years has not required any drilling, the guy(s) have used existing holes to do their dirty work. Drilling a hole like that and plugging it in that fashion, as pictured, is a sign of really sloppy work.

The drilling of a hole isn't necessarily a sign of poor work, it's sometimes unavoidable. But what is a sign is the fact that the plug had to be trimmed because the hole was too close to the face of the panel and that no touch up paint was applied (or applied insufficiently) to the hole.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. The hole should have been drilled on the same flat face that the door catch is on instead of in that curve that it was drilled.

Naras
07-13-2015, 06:29 PM
:( ill just leave it for now i guess...

Critter7r
07-14-2015, 11:11 AM
you might pull out that plug and put some rust inhibitor inside the panel.

BimmerBreaker
07-14-2015, 06:02 PM
you might pull out that plug and put some rust inhibitor inside the panel.
+1 Sounds like the best bet to me...

GloryBmw
07-18-2015, 06:01 AM
Rust reformer..... will stop that rust in its tracks. Pull the grommet out, scratch and pick what rust you can easily scrape off and use a small brush and apply 2-3 coats of rust reformer on all the obvious areas, be sure to paint all exposed metal that pulling the gronmet out shows (could use Dakar touchup paint if you choose, but the rust reformer would work fine if your careful not to go outside of where the gronmet will expose.

Should buy you atleast 5 years until it grows

Naras
07-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks fellas.. really appreciate the input.. definitely going to do that asap

gaspump
07-23-2015, 09:05 AM
POR 15 product is the best I ever used.