PDA

View Full Version : 2003 318ti electrical ignition problem

Spugi35
05-25-2015, 08:58 AM
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP My good condition car has broke down on me the garage has worked on it for mounts and can't fix it.

The diagnostics point to the crank shaft sensor, which was replaced but will not cure the problem, it still only fires on 2 cylinders and will not run.

I have had an electrical auto engineer look at it and he also pointed to the crank shaft sensor and said it may be an issue as it was not a genuine BMW part so I changed it for a genuine one and I still have exactly the same problem.

I have sent of the ECU to be tested and it came back with no faults. No one I speak to has any idea how to fix this problem and I'm hoping that someone on here might be able to help.

If anyone could shed some light on the matter please post a reply and it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MarcoZandrini
05-25-2015, 09:16 AM
The first thing to do is to read the codes even if the SES/CEL is off. ALWAYS! How many miles on the car? Is the fuel pump original? When was the fuel filter last changed?

Spugi35
06-01-2015, 02:46 PM
It's about 180 thousand why would the fuel pump. Or the air filter make it only fire in 2 cylinders maybe I wasn't clear but I'm only getting a spark to 2 x cylinders.

But I could t tell you how old the fuel pump is etc

MarcoZandrini
06-02-2015, 09:25 AM
The fuel injectors require the fuel to be pressurized to about 50 psi. If the pressure is low the car won't run properly. Same for the fuel filter: a partially block fuel filter will decrease the fuel pressure. You need to have the codes read and posted. There is a multitude of issues that can cause your symptoms.