PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Accessport vs JB-4

BimmerVlad
03-29-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking about getting a JB-4 to tune the 135i. Just a bit more power. But I heard that the JB-4 is crap compared to Cobb's Accessport. So I decided to get the Accessport. Then someone tells me that the Cobb is crap compared to the JB-4. I haven't done any research yet, but will get to that soon. So my question is which one is better? Why is it better? I need facts. No opinions. I take tuning very seriously and want what's best for my car. So which one is it?

turnin
04-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Who is your tuner? talk to them about it. They are different products that employ different logic. What is the vehicle being used for? track car? daily driver? The JB is a piggy back unit, some tuners despise these kinds of engine control, essentially the process is that information goes into the unit, the unit distorts it, and then puts it back into the ecu to achieve some desired output. Some tuners think this is a bad idea. The Accessport uses a flashing method, where Cobb cracks the ecu, determines how to edit the maps (expensive and difficult), and then your accessport writes maps to the ecu, effectively changing your factory ecu, as opposed to manipulating the information going in to it in order to achieve some desired outcome. I think that the accessport is a better way to go about tuning, but which is better for you depends on what youre trying to achieve, as well as what the tuners in your area are willing to work with.

Bigmac834
04-08-2015, 04:09 PM
My brother had the cobb accessport on his 135i. They have great customer service, and its also possible to datalog with accessport. I told him to go with the cobb because its not a piggy back. But like the above poster stated, find a shop near you that tunes, find out if the use cobb or jb4 and buy whatever they use. He trapped 118 in the cobb btw.