PDA

View Full Version : obd2 vs obd1 tuning - Ideas how to seperate this forum

e36ALPINE
03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Hey guys, love the fact that this is happening. I'm just thinking out loud here but I was wondering what you guys think the best way of seperating obd2 tuning from obd1 tuning. The problem is it will be completely different software etc between the two and people may get confused as to which software does which. Over on romraider.com they have been doing primarily ms41.2 (obd2 m3 ecu) and a couple people started defining maps etc for the obd1 ecu. They use the romraider software (which looks nice I haven't done anything with tunerpro because there is nothing for obd2 there). I'm figuring there will be a lot of knowledge and theory that will pertain to both ecu's but how should we seperate them without becoming a big confusing mess? I don't know if the romraider defined maps can be converted to work in Tunerpro? Is there a real advantage to one over the other? I know there is already the $33 flash software for obd2 ecu's. If I start a thread with a link to the software and instructions how to use it I don't know if anyone will get mad? Romraider folks? I'm not sure what to do? Just put links from one forums to another ( do forums get mad when you tell people to go to another forum haha? )? Again probably confusing.

ak5
03-12-2015, 01:16 PM
I think this is a big step forward already :buttrock

e36ALPINE
03-12-2015, 01:23 PM
I totally agree. Just saying if someone attempts to use the wrong software etc it's going to be frustrating and/or a disaster haha

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

flyfishvt
03-12-2015, 06:51 PM
I uploaded links to my dropbox for some basic software. You could add your instructions to that thread and add your own software. I'll be happy to host software downloads in my DropBox. Just send me a copy of the program.

I think the forum should have headers for OEM ECU and Stand Alone ECU. They could be at the top of the forum like the Vert section is at the top of the e36 forum. I'd love to see a thread where everyone posts links to down load their .bin files and XDF files. We could have it stickied to the top.

Just my 2 cents

wazzu70
03-12-2015, 11:09 PM
For now just keep everything in one forum IMO. How to tune a standalone and tuning theory in general is applicable to all. Also OBDI folks may learn from OBDII folks ect. Its not that hard to sort out.

e36ALPINE
03-13-2015, 09:03 AM
For now just keep everything in one forum IMO. How to tune a standalone and tuning theory in general is applicable to all. Also OBDI folks may learn from OBDII folks ect. Its not that hard to sort out.

I just figured obd2 people are going to start downloading tunerpro and buying ostrich 2.0 when they don't have to haha. I am going to start some threads on basic information for how to pull tunes from a ms41.2 ecu etc. Hopefully start this weekend just so people can get an idea. Then someone can teach me how to scale and tune my ecu hahaha.

wazzu70
03-13-2015, 12:21 PM
True, maybe its just a lot easier to seperate the tuning at the beginning. OBDI/OBDII/general tuning (would cover standalones and tuning theory).

The logic between OBDI and OBDII is different enough that its probably not helpful to rely on people to seperate them as you mention :)

mrf
03-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Hey guys, love the fact that this is happening. I'm just thinking out loud here but I was wondering what you guys think the best way of seperating obd2 tuning from obd1 tuning. The problem is it will be completely different software etc between the two and people may get confused as to which software does which. Over on romraider.com they have been doing primarily ms41.2 (obd2 m3 ecu) and a couple people started defining maps etc for the obd1 ecu. They use the romraider software (which looks nice I haven't done anything with tunerpro because there is nothing for obd2 there). I'm figuring there will be a lot of knowledge and theory that will pertain to both ecu's but how should we seperate them without becoming a big confusing mess? I don't know if the romraider defined maps can be converted to work in Tunerpro? Is there a real advantage to one over the other? I know there is already the $33 flash software for obd2 ecu's. If I start a thread with a link to the software and instructions how to use it I don't know if anyone will get mad? Romraider folks? I'm not sure what to do? Just put links from one forums to another ( do forums get mad when you tell people to go to another forum haha? )? Again probably confusing.
RomRaider is the home of OBD2 MS41 Tuning since I started this project 2 years ago. As far as I'm concerned it will remain there because that is where all the development has taken place. I don't want to get into the politics of 'pro tuners' on BF.c lobbying for censorship as the OpenSource movement eats into their profits.

So don't start a thread here describing everything that already exists on RomRaider using tools that were developed at RomRaider. The core knowledge base is at RomRaider and will remain there.

rowleym
03-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Anything wrong with setting up links and how to's and such? Not saying what you guys did on RR isn't great, but it sure isn't organized very well at all.

e36ALPINE
03-13-2015, 01:06 PM
I know what you mean. But there may also be people at BF.com that can help that may not be on Romraider.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

mrf
03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Anything wrong with setting up links and how to's and such? Not saying what you guys did on RR isn't great, but it sure isn't organized very well at all.
That's because it is in the "Development" section for now... It's not a 'walk in the park' ready for the masses quite yet. If you want to help, make a 'how-to' thread on RR and link to it from BF.c

BTW, there is no one on BF.c that can contribute any more than the talent base that is already at RR. For example, we are the 1st in the world to develop custom (hand-written ASM by Alec) code that can flash the CEL to an adjustable 'shift rpm', also flash the CEL if coolant temp exceeds a programmable value.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7kBUYlNjs

And this is just the beginning. There is lots going on behind the scenes...

rowleym
03-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Yay!!! Finally. But you're being a jackass. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Can't wait to see what you guys develop. I assume the best thing we can do is just wait?

I'm guessing we are all a couple years behind.

e36ALPINE
03-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Well I know from being on RR that there is a lot of testing of things that anyone can do. I plan to help as soon as I can drive my car again (New England weather). But those guys are WAY beyond what we know. So I would be greatful of the work that they have already done. I know I am.

mrf
03-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Yay!!! Finally. But you're being a jackass. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Can't wait to see what you guys develop. I assume the best thing we can do is just wait?

I'm guessing we are all a couple years behind.
You don't have to wait. Go on RR and start reading. As it stands now, you can tune any MAF based setup you want. Start a thread with your current or planned mods and the community will help develop a tune for you. The only requirement is that you have enough computer literacy to install and use the Logger. You can't properly tune without a datalogger. If you are having issues, setting up the software, people can help you with that too.

rowleym
03-13-2015, 04:02 PM
At this point, if you were me, would it be worth it to swap to obd2? Or should I at least figure out odb1 tunes as well?

This is for a relatively high power street car e30. Hopefully over 500whp on e85 this summer if I don't get my billet runner mani done before then. I was planning on standalone before these recent progressions.

I fabricate a lot, and plan to continue to do so in the future, and it would be SOOOOO very helpful if I was able to at least make a base map for my customers. So far, I've only done standalone installs for bmws guys, and that just takes me far too much time.

Making it easier for bmw guys to boost there cars is what I'm all about :)

Also, I understand the tuning concept and have tuned a few standalones, and used RR on my wrx for simple things, but MAN the hard part is NOT the tuning. It's going to take me a few weeks I bet to read 1/2 of what is posted on RR.

Also MAF based tuning is so very different as well. Also a first for me.

wazzu70
03-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Overall I think OBDII is the way to go. The control strategies are much more refined and you can get lots of information from the ECU at the diagnostic port.

At this point in time though the OBDI .xdf is much more defined so I think that is a good way to go right now. Since the ECU is less complicated, its a better platform to learn on too.

bry195
03-14-2015, 11:07 PM
That's because it is in the "Development" section for now... It's not a 'walk in the park' ready for the masses quite yet. If you want to help, make a 'how-to' thread on RR and link to it from BF.c BTW, there is no one on BF.c that can contribute any more than the talent base that is already at RR...

most great programming does not come from great programmers. it comes from understanding the application of the code. the codes ability to manage failures or truly be better than the rest only comes from the people who have spent as much time building and fixing these cars as as the guys who program them. for every line of control code there should be 3-5 lines of code that manage failures and errors. I have no right to tell you not to disqualify people on BF.C. But these people are good talented people who even if you don't believe anyone can help you from a coding perspective have done enough for these old bmw's to be a couple steps ahead of a coder when it comes to this application (these cars).

there is no way that someone who has invested his talents into great code can be as talented in application as someone who has invested there time into these cars. you need both. if not now, later.

jjjjjjj
03-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Maybe can just as a courtesy post "OBD1" or "OBD2" or "MS3" etc at the beginning of each post.

For example:

"OBD1 - Please help me map my 42lb injectors to 60lb"

bry195
03-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Maybe can just as a courtesy post "OBD1" or "OBD2" or "MS3" etc at the beginning of each post. For example: "OBD1 - Please help me map my 42lb injectors to 60lb" kevlar is looking for prefixes. that definitely should be at least one set.

sarlfabio
03-22-2015, 10:57 PM

Either way, it needs the support of technology, perhaps some of the information to answer all the doubts, if you buy a car diagnostic tools for technical problem is not very understanding, a good after-sales service may become more important, eobd2.fr (http://www.eobd2.fr) perhaps this a website, this is all I know.