PDA

View Full Version : Soft Top Module question

wantsasheep
05-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Hello there... A few months ago I bought a convertible 1995 325i, with a non-working top...

Now in summer time I decided to try to fix it, and it didn't take long to see that my top module was missing (the last owner must have done something with it). So I believe that is the only problem with the top, and once I have it set up, resyncing it should fix the problem.

My question: Will any of the e36 modules fit my car or do I have to buy the specific one for my year/model?
another thing, I keep reading "full automatic" and "semi automatic" tops and I still don't know which one mine is :(, the only thing I have to to is raise my hand and unlock the top, and press the button down. is that a semi automatic then? since it requires me to do that?

thanks guys.

flyfishvt
05-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Yup you have a semi auto. The fully auto tops don't have that handle on the windshield. I have both and I kinda like the semi auto better. The tip module you need has to come from another semi auto top e36. The year and model doesn't matter as long as its a semi auto top. Fully auto top module will not work in your car. Post a threadi in the Parts Wanted forum. I would stay away from ebay on this one. At least if you're buying from a forum member you can be pretty sure it will be from a semi auto. With ebay its a crap shoot and you might end up wasting a quick $75-100.

Did you look in the correct place for the top module? behind the drivers side rear seat speaker grills? That center insert slides out.

wantsasheep
05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
flyfishvt, thanks! and yes, I looked in the right place... My girlfriend happens to also have a e36, hers is a 1996 328i. Her top works just fine... do you think I can take the module out of her car and test in mine? I haven't done that yet cause I didnt know if it would be acceptable since the model/year is different, but I will probably try it now. Is there anything specific I should do before removing her module not to damage it? disconnecting the battery for example?

I am really just starting dealing with cars and I love it so far, this forum is also very helpful :D
thaaanks

flyfishvt
05-12-2013, 06:21 PM
You can certainly try it. You won't hurt anything. Worst case is it won't work. I have never tried it but I know the fully auto tops have an additional wire connector that plugs into the module that the semi tops don't. Its for the motor/latches in the header of the fully auto tops.

wantsasheep
05-12-2013, 07:58 PM
No luck... got her module and installed it in my car, and when trying to do the scync it did absolutely nothing...

I did get a chance to test my switch in her car, and it worked just fine, the fuses seem to be ok (visually at least) and everything else seems to be fine as well. Is there any way to test the motors individually to see if they work?

also, what are other issues that could be taking place there? it frustrates me a lot, but I won't give up, hahaha.

I will do some more research during this week and try to work on it next weekend