PDA

View Full Version : "Clack" when I go over an expansion joint or crack... from UNDER the car.

jamrobin
05-08-2013, 08:56 AM
LOL So... I tried doing a search in this forum for "rattle", thousands of hits, most about the top, tried "noise"... well it's a convertible forum, you can guess, tried "clicking" and the responses were almost all to do with seating some clip or other... Describing a noise with prose... not a real good diagnostic tool but here goes.

At risk of flame... My 99 M3/5 vert is pretty quiet. I would even say quieter than my 94 318iS but it of course also has less miles and a smoother engine.

The one noise that is bugging me a bit is a "clack" sound when I cross an expansion joint or a crack in the pavement. It seems to be coming from under the car and SEEMS like it's near the back of the driver seat area sounds like it's almost directly under me... It's not loud, and I only hear it with the radio off or low. It doesn't matter if the top is up or down, or if the hardtop is on. My friend's XK8 vert had a very similar sound that turned out to be a shock mount but mine seems to be too far forward for that.

I changed the oil just Saturday and while I was under the car I tried to grab and shake anything I could find in the vicinity but nothing felt loose at all...
:confused
Anyone want to suggest to me what is down below the driver side of the car that likely needs attention?

Oh a caveat... there is a definite possibility that I'm wrong about the origin of the sound because I can only hear it when rolling across a joint or crack (no it's not tires I am certain of that ... it's slightly metalic in nature) and I obviously can't be outside the car when I'm doing that...

69tr6r
05-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Could be a rear spring. That's what it was on mine, found it when looking at my rear brakes.

jamrobin
05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
I think I found it... Just finished waxing and noticed that the exhaust looked a little lower than it ought to... The very next time I was on the E36 M3 section of this forum I noticed a long thread about sagging M3 exhaust due to it being rather heavy for the hangers... Yup, check off another thing I have to get to... Now just to decide wether to cough up for a much lighter Stromung cat back first so it lasts longer or go ahead and replace the hangers right away and hope they're still in decent shape in a couple months when I do go for the cat back?