PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...first post/question!

Mattydub
04-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi guys....I'm very excited to bring home my first bmw vert next weekend! A 99 m3 with 91k mi. All stock, red.

Question is ....sorry it's stupid.... But if I get new wheels (bbs) how do I get the bmw emblem in the middle of it? And I've seen some that are color specific? Those seem kinda cool...how are they done too?

And last one... I read that thread on "what mod would you do first..." But it seemed sedan specific, any recommendations for the verts like us? What would you do first?

Thanks!!!! Excited to learn more....

110reef
04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I got the BMW emblems from BMW, although they can be had cheaper on-line. However, I do not know if they will fit on other wheels.

chrisperry1983
04-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Hi guys....I'm very excited to bring home my first bmw vert next weekend! A 99 m3 with 91k mi. All stock, red.

Question is ....sorry it's stupid.... But if I get new wheels (bbs) how do I get the bmw emblem in the middle of it? And I've seen some that are color specific? Those seem kinda cool...how are they done too?

And last one... I read that thread on "what mod would you do first..." But it seemed sedan specific, any recommendations for the verts like us? What would you do first?

Thanks!!!! Excited to learn more....

Congrats man! My vert is red as well, a Hellrot 325... for me, my first cosmetic mods were to get rid of the chrome kidneys by taking them out and spraying them black, and removing the tails and spraying the signals a transparent red. I think the all red tails (aside from reverse lights) look way better than red/clear, and I hate chrome, the black looks real slick IMO. I'm trying to find emblems that don't have the chrome ring around them. Beyond that I did clear corners/sidemarkers, and yellow fogs. Also have M3 wheels, and an M3 steering wheel. I plan on spraying the wheels black with plasti-dip - couple guys on here have done it and I think it looks awesome. That reminds me, I also debadged the 325i part, but since you have an M3 you might want to keep it on there. I mostly did it because it went with my not liking chrome bit.

Performance wise, I have an intake (not sure if it does much besides the sound and looks) and an M3 exhaust (again, probably more for sound/looks than performance). Planning on doing the seafoam treatment at some point soon as well just to clean out the crap inside the engine.

Functionally, I waterproofed my top with 303 protectant as well as cleaned and conditioned the leather. Waterproofing might be able to wait depending on your location and since summer is approaching, but we had a helluva winter in Seattle with tons of non-stop heavy rain. Waterproofing made a huge difference, the water just ran off rather than saturating the top and keeping it wet constantly even when in the garage.

Aside from all that, I've re-synced my top to get it running as smooth as possible, although previous posts have revealed I need new bowden cables, and I also need new gas struts that open up the tonneau so the top doesn't hit it while it opens up.

Next on my agenda is to flush the transmission and transaxle fluid and replace it with Redline.

Brashland
04-29-2013, 10:29 AM
The first mods you should do is all the preventative maintenance to make sure your car is road worthy.

chrisperry1983
04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
The first mods you should do is all the preventative maintenance to make sure your car is road worthy.

That too. I knew the PO probably hadn't done any preventative maintenance to mine, first thing I did was coolant flush, oil change with Mobil 0W-40, and replaced the brake pads due to a slight squeak sound. Transmission fluid is next on the list. I'm excited to see the difference it makes.

jamrobin
04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Aside from making sure the maintenance was looked after...
The first thing I did was get a hard top and then a wind deflector...Best additions you can possibly make IMHO.
Wishing I had been able to get the rack for the hard top though. It's leaning up against the dining room wall just now while I decide where to put it for the summer... laundry room is the front runner but I don't want it in the way of the beer fridge either...