PDA

View Full Version : Automatic time zone/time set

jonheld
03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
So I noticed a funny thing today. The clock displays the wrong time. When I noticed this I had to laugh out loud at the fact that every piece of electronic equipment in my house and other cars automatically update, either from the network time or from the GMT data that is contained in every GPS beacon.
My $150 GPS updates automatically but my $50K BMW doesn't? Really?
I spent some time with the online manual and it tells you how to manually set the time and date. Are you kidding me with this? There is no automatic update option or setting?
The car has GPS navigation and satellite radio and it can't tell what freakin' time it is? Please tell me I'm missing something here.

Pyewacket69
03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
So I noticed a funny thing today. The clock displays the wrong time. When I noticed this I had to laugh out loud at the fact that every piece of electronic equipment in my house and other cars automatically update, either from the network time or from the GMT data that is contained in every GPS beacon.
My $150 GPS updates automatically but my $50K BMW doesn't? Really?
I spent some time with the online manual and it tells you how to manually set the time and date. Are you kidding me with this? There is no automatic update option or setting?
The car has GPS navigation and satellite radio and it can't tell what freakin' time it is? Please tell me I'm missing something here.

I'll just say this....

If this is the biggest problem you had to deal with this week, you've done pretty well.

Ridgeway
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
lol, that does seem odd

Heck even my Jeep updates it automatically.

Pyewacket69
03-31-2013, 03:53 PM
lol, that does seem odd

Heck even my Jeep updates it automatically.

My daughter's 08 Nissan Altima with NAV has a "daylight savings time" icon that needs to be checked/unchecked to include/exclude DST.

My view on this is like Jay Leno's... Have we become so lazy in this country that its a major effort to reset the clock in a car?

How many people would reject buying a vehicle they liked simply because of this one "necessity"?

I'm 58, and I lived a large part of my life owing cars that, if they were fortunate enough to actually have a clock, had one that actually kept the proper time...

I guess it's all in one's perspective...

rolltidef30
03-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Anyone who "rejects" this car, or the entire company for the clock setting? likely isn't really into the car to begin with and should just proceed to purchase another brand, which is just fine. Lexus comes to mind...

The rest of us "drivers" will concentrate on other aspects if the vehicle, such as the handling and driving dynamics. At least this is why I purchased my BMW, because I wouldn't take any compromises in these areas.

Not even sure I've ever set the time in my car. Too busy driving!