PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a roof rack spare tire mount?

RVAE34
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I am probably going to modify the cargo floor to fit dual exhaust. The only negative would be losing the spare. I used to have a safari rack on my 87 Pathfinder SE and had a full size spare on the back and on the top. I think it would be awesome to have a mount made for the touring so I can still carry a tire on trips. I wouldn't even mind it to be safari style with some lights and a spare gas can mount since my car already sort of looks military :)

I don't know if I would really go there but I am very serious about a spare mount. If anyone has seen something like that or has some good ideas on a base to start with, let me know. I was thinking of looking at bike racks first.

noodlesandsam
02-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeech, but look at what the jeep off road guys have.

motorade1
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Man I would definitely ixnay this idea. I am sure you know this, but the roof is the last place you want to add weight, raises COG, is bad for handling and turns, etc, etc, blah blah blah. The other thing is it adds a lot of drag and will affect gas mileage by a few MPGs, literally. If you are going on a trip without a spare and want more than a can of fix-a-flat, just put the tire in the back. In my opinion, a bimmer wagon with a safari rack, lights and a tire would look ridiculous. Even on Jeeps and SUVs with roof racks, 99% of the time its a poser thats driving.

RVAE34
02-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Haha. I knew I would catch some hell for the idea. Regardless of what I do or if I do, it would be easily removable. Wouldn't be using it for track days so the handling and wind resistance is not a big deal. Just thinking about storage and utility for any long trips. If I ever went to bfest West, it would be perfect for bringing back parts. Much better than a trailer hitch with a trailer IMO.

derekmw
02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
What about something like this:
http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/rell/roof_racks_bags/rhino_rack_platform_spare_tire_carrier_attached.jp g

Although I would prob prefer something like this, if I was to get rid of the spare tire underneath (obviously not a best shot since this looks like a VW bus or something):
http://www.delarosaupholstery.com/images/VW%20van.jpg

jp5Touring
02-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Is the baby keepin you up at night ??? sounds like sleep deprivation,,understand the concern but,,,,besides the touring is more in the "Sinister" category not Military category,,;)

RVAE34
02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
lol^

What about something like this:
http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/rell/roof_racks_bags/rhino_rack_platform_spare_tire_carrier_attached.jp g

That is exactly what I was thinking of making.

jp5Touring
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Get one of those thin solid rubber spares...need correct bolt pattern and match the wheel diameter with your tires.

If your going to modify the the rear cargo floor. What if you trimmed the depth of the oem spare tire storage.
Make it like half as deep so the new exhaust could clear it,,,, jus sayin

RVAE34
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Definitely an option..

sean911sc
02-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Another option - Roadside assistance.

motorade1
02-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Another option - Roadside assistance.

"525iT M Sport"? Thats a new one.

geargrinder
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't even mind it to be safari style with some lights and a spare gas can mount since my car already sort of looks military :)

Not Safari style - RALLY style. Those pooping on the idea have never been exposed to cool gnarly rally cars clearly.

Saw this excellent old beater battleaxe MB in Germany a few months ago with a big rally gear rack on the roof... looks like somebody's fun beaterbomber.

Clearly you'd be going with something slicker and tidier... but all I'm sayin is the rally-roof-rack for spares is a time honored hard-core tradition.

http://www.j2c3.com/misc/BMW/IMG_5323.jpg

"525iT M Sport"? Thats a new one.

lol. everybody's an M-sport now. apparently:
"if you have an M on the steering wheel its M-sport!!"...

you can even draw a few M's on with a crayon - that's enough to be M-sport. new rule.

also keep chanting "the Sport package is exactly the same" and "there is no difference" to drown out an inconvenient facts.

(btw, don't mean to haze sean911sc. just hazing the constant M sport rebranding and bickering and excuses...)

RVAE34
02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
lol. I like that.

Everyone seemed to think a brown E39 touring was a bad idea too. And black wheels. But I tend to disagree. Although I might be biased :)

Best part about my roof rack idea is that it would require zero modification to be done to the car and therefore would not be permanent..

motorade1
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Get the BMW crossbars that mount to the rails, add some sort of basket to it, then mount a tire to it. I just think its gonna look stupid, but thats just me! If you come up with a way that makes it look good, I will eat my words. I am not opposed to racks, I had a Yakima rack with bikes on top of my Jetta years ago, with the faring in front, with stickers all over that and it looked pretty good. I just think when you go mounting a tire on it, its gonna look stupid. Your car looks way too good to have a tire on top; I would buy a cargo carrier for the roof, put the tire in the back and luggage in the cargo carrier. Now if you raise your car up about 6 inches, add steelies and all terrains, then a rally or safari rack with a tire on it might look appropriate. Again, no offense, just giving my opinion!

oekundar
02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
After taking my Touring on a road trip last year and having an issue with space, I would say have a nice rack built that will allow you to store luggage as well as your spare up there for such trips. You can always keep the spare in the cargo area until you actually need to put other crap there.

RVAE34
02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
I would only be using this when I needed it folks lol. I wouldn't be sporting but 2% of the time at most.. It's a utility thing not a styling thing. Although I think it could be done in a way that makes kind of cool.

wheelgarage
02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Build a Safari rack like on my Disco, put a stud bracket with a large screw lock to hold down the wheel....yeah!!!:D

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p17/wheelgarage/20121230_162830.jpg
http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/17902740/131_0905_07_z+2009_dodge_ram_1500+spare_tire_carri er.jpg

geargrinder
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah like that ^^^ id go with the "rally/safari basket style" but if you get one custom tube bent it would be sweet. Also mounting lights and fairing on the front would be good to visually declare it was intentional homage to rally style and not just grannies old cargo roof rack.

I would only be using this when I needed it folks lol. I wouldn't be sporting but 2% of the time at most.. It's a utility thing not a styling thing. Although I think it could be done in a way that makes kind of cool.

So totally with you on this.

sfgearhead
02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

The rack idea posted below would be the easiest. Or get a wire rack and mount it to the roof.

Another option would be to mount a 1.5" tow hitch and modify a bike rack to mount the wheel on the back. It wouldn't look as cool, but would probably be a lot less noisy on trips. Removing the hitch would only leave 4 holes that nobody would see unless they looked.

touring5
04-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Build a Safari rack like on my Disco, put a stud bracket with a large screw lock to hold down the wheel....yeah!!!:D

I've got the same rack and ARB bumper on my D2! I wonder how many BMW owners also have a Land Rover in the garage? Looks like you have a lift and some other goodies on that D1 as well. Nice!

Tomdownunder
04-22-2014, 06:28 PM
I am probably going to modify the cargo floor to fit dual exhaust. The only negative would be losing the spare. I used to have a safari rack on my 87 Pathfinder SE and had a full size spare on the back and on the top. I think it would be awesome to have a mount made for the touring so I can still carry a tire on trips. I wouldn't even mind it to be safari style with some lights and a spare gas can mount since my car already sort of looks military :)

I don't know if I would really go there but I am very serious about a spare mount. If anyone has seen something like that or has some good ideas on a base to start with, let me know. I was thinking of looking at bike racks first.

From your build thread and pics, you already have modified the floor and have twin exhausts. Are you making more changes?? Can you fit a space saver wheel?

Flycaper
04-23-2014, 04:31 AM
I think it would be awesome to have a mount made for the touring so I can still carry a tire on trips. I wouldn't even mind it to be safari style with some lights and a spare gas can mount since my car already sort of looks military :)

uhhhh, yea that.

RVAE34
04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
From your build thread and pics, you already have modified the floor and have twin exhausts. Are you making more changes?? Can you fit a space saver wheel?

I think I can fit one but not 100% sure. I haven't been worried about it really. I also have AAA just in case.