PDA

View Full Version : Facelift rear lights on pre facelift do we need to drill new holes?

528i tourer
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
hi!
Well i have searched over all websites and nothing i can understand about these, just talking about sedans but about touring i cannot get nothing helpful...

I want to know:
1) fitting facelift tail lights(rear lights i mean) on a pre-facelift touring its possible?
2)Do i need to drill any holes or its just fit and here we go?
3)if i need to drill - what/where to drill?

Can you please explain what is needed to fit some facelift lights in my pre-facelift car? I would like to get my hands on some new ones (i want the clear ones, i have amber, but wanna decide which way to go, pre or post...)

thanks!

hon2bmw
02-16-2013, 10:28 PM
hi!
Well i have searched over all websites and nothing i can understand about these, just talking about sedans but about touring i cannot get nothing helpful...

I want to know:
1) fitting facelift tail lights(rear lights i mean) on a pre-facelift touring its possible?
2)Do i need to drill any holes or its just fit and here we go?
3)if i need to drill - what/where to drill?

Can you please explain what is needed to fit some facelift lights in my pre-facelift car? I would like to get my hands on some new ones (i want the clear ones, i have amber, but wanna decide which way to go, pre or post...)

thanks!

As far as physical modification, there is none, they mount up without any drilling and even plug into the existing harness.

You would need to reprogram/replace your LCM depending on which version you have in order to have them work 100% on a preface lift car since the CELIS portion is LED.

If you don't have someone who can reprogram/code your LCM you could go with inline resistors, this gets rid of the flickering and the Bulb out warning, but there is debate as to whether the lack of voltage regulation will make the lifespan of the LED's shorter.

I have a pre-facelift car with OEM european market facelift tails and opted to go for the resistor route, I've had them installed for 2+years with no ill-effects.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/peteex/noexhaust2008.jpg

528i tourer
02-17-2013, 05:19 AM
As far as physical modification, there is none, they mount up without any drilling and even plug into the existing harness.

You would need to reprogram/replace your LCM depending on which version you have in order to have them work 100% on a preface lift car since the CELIS portion is LED.

If you don't have someone who can reprogram/code your LCM you could go with inline resistors, this gets rid of the flickering and the Bulb out warning, but there is debate as to whether the lack of voltage regulation will make the lifespan of the LED's shorter.

I have a pre-facelift car with OEM european market facelift tails and opted to go for the resistor route, I've had them installed for 2+years with no ill-effects.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/peteex/noexhaust2008.jpg

Thanks!

and if i just mount them and dont change any electrical stuff by now what will happen? Will i just have errors or what? Nothing special?