PDA

View Full Version : 1999 m3 convertable top stuck HELP !!!!!

mav99
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Hello all

My buddy and I are working on his car.

1999 m3 convertable.

The top is stuck in the raised position. The front motor has issues the front top will not close and lock in position. It rises about 2-3 inches and does not lock in place.

The rear motors are completely released and dropped. The rear of the top is solid and will not release so the rear valance cannot be opened. Thus, the top can not be lowered manually. It feels like cement and will not budge.

Also, the rear window is glass and not plastic.

Our goal is to release the top and have it operate manually. Replacing the motors and mechanicals would be expensive !!!!

Any DIY help or direction would be appreciated !!!!

110reef
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
You will not be able to lower the top with a glass window in there.

The front motor must be cranked until it is open probably 6 inches or more before the back will release. This takes a lot of cranks.

Replacing the front top motor is not too expensive, I just had to replace mine because the manual crank was stripped where the wrench is inserted and I couldn't manually open/close the top. The motor itself actually worked just fine.

damonchoy
02-11-2013, 07:21 PM
The back window is GLASS? How?

The plastic window FOLDS when it the top goes down into the storage compartment. There's no way a glass window can fold...

Pictures?