PDA

View Full Version : ive searched with no luck...top problem

98black328i
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi guys I've spent the last few days and weeks searching and reading through this forum and I have to say you guys really know your stuff. However I have been trying to find a solution to my problem with no luck. I have a 98 328i vert. One day all of a sudden the top stops. No clicking, no sound whatsoever when I press the button (fully automatic top). It will not go down, it will not go up. I've had issues before but followed the resync video by miller on YouTube and always had success. This time nothing works. I've read here that it could be the fuse in the trunk next to the battery. I replaced it and still nothing. Before I would hear a clunking sound from the motor which was remedied by doing the resync but now its almost as if its getting no power at all. To add to that I recently tried the resync method again only to have the top stop before it closed all the way. Its like there's tension holding it from closing manually. I don't know what else to try so I thought I'd ask. I tried searching but haven't found anyone with the problem where its just silent and not at least trying to engage. Thanks in advance for any help u guys can provide.

Another piece of info I forgot to mention is that usually even when the top doesnt work the switch still controls the windows but now absolutely nothing happens from pressing the switch.

110reef
02-08-2013, 04:17 PM
There are several other fuses that deal with the top. Maybe check them. Does the switch even blink?

JDStrickland
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Your top has the ability to talk to the diagnostic computer. The UP/DWN Button provides a ground to the Controller at Pins 1 & 14, respectively.

The trunk lid has to be closed, that is, the switch that reports the status of the lid has to report closed. If the trunk lid is not reported as being closed, then the top will not operate. There is a wire loom at the left side trunk lid hinge that if it breaks, the signals to many -- or just one -- trunk lid operations will be disrupted.

You do not have a hardware problem, you have an electrical issue.

Fuses that go to the top are F35, F43, F7, F24, F42, & F27.

98black328i
02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Your top has the ability to talk to the diagnostic computer. The UP/DWN Button provides a ground to the Controller at Pins 1 & 14, respectively.

The trunk lid has to be closed, that is, the switch that reports the status of the lid has to report closed. If the trunk lid is not reported as being closed, then the top will not operate. There is a wire loom at the left side trunk lid hinge that if it breaks, the signals to many -- or just one -- trunk lid operations will be disrupted.

You do not have a hardware problem, you have an electrical issue.

Fuses that go to the top are F35, F43, F7, F24, F42, & F27.

I think you may be on to something JD. I checked and found that my trunk lock isn't engaging when the trunk is closed. I'm currently trying to repair it myself. Thanks for the info. One more question...is there a map of the fuse box for the vert anywhere. Mine happens to have everything in German -_-

JDStrickland
02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. The cover to the fuse box lists the fuses.

I told you the fguse positions for North American cars, if your car is Euro. Spec, then nothing I tell you will be accurate, except that the trunk has to be closed else the top will not work.

You're in Florida, how did you get a car that's printed in German? And, I don't know where else you can get a fuse map.

98black328i
02-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes the car was bought in NY, everything on it is in English except for the fuse box map and a few of the manufacturer's info. I don't know what's up with that either. The car has had one owner before me and its my cousin. He bought brand new in 97 at a dealership in Brooklyn. In any case I believe the issue is with the latch for the trunk. As for the fuse box I guess ill just have to get a translator.

There are several other fuses that deal with the top. Maybe check them. Does the switch even blink?

Btw yes the switch blinks. Faster than usual and faster than when it usually just needed a resync. I'm gonna know tomorrow if its the trunk latch but I suspect it may be a fuse. Unfortunately for me my fuse box map is in German...though the car was bought here brand new.

JDStrickland
02-09-2013, 11:57 AM
My car is a '94, I have owned it for 8 years. Except for the instance I screwed around with the roof, it has never needed a resynch. That is, the only time I have had to resynch is when I was replacing the top and I got the bright idea (turns out to not be so bright after all) to manually position the top. I screwed it up, to make a long story short. My point is, the top should never need to be synched UNLESS something like the battery dies in the middle of travel, and you have to manually complete the movement. You then resynch when the battery condition is resolved.

There should be no reason to pull the emergency release, and unless the release is pulled, the top should never need to be resynched.

As for the German fuse map, why don't you buy one in English? Visit www.autobahnparts.com (http://www.autobahnparts.com) and get the phone number, I'm positive they will have a fusebox cover with the fuse map in English. They'll probably get it to you for a couple of bucks. Alternatively, you can go to your local junk yard and get one for pennies on the dollar.

The trunk latch has a switch or two in it. You should be able to determine if the linkage that operates the switch(es) is sticking by closing the latch around a screwdriver or ratchet extension, then forcing the latch to overtravel a little bit, then try the roof button. USE CAUTION BECAUSE THIS MEANS YOU MUST OPERATE THE ROOF BUTTON WHILE THE TRUNK IS OPEN, AND CHANCE FOR THE ROOF COVER AND THE TRUNK TO COLLLIDE IS VERY HIGH -- IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THESE DOORS TO NOT COLLIDE.

The idea here is to establish a basic go-no go test. If you can create a condition where the button works rerliably, and then set a condition where it does not work, then you know that the latch is the trouble.

Don't forget that any wires in the trunk lid have to be part of the harness that passes between the trunk lid and the left fender, and the flexing action on this harness causes the wires inside to break. Since the latch switch is part of this harness, its wire must be suspected as a problem area for this issue.