PDA

View Full Version : How I didn't get an F30 in the end

domyalex
01-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Well, this is funny...

Long story short: after test driving an F30 the (really) aggressive salesman wanted to close the deal on the spot; after 2 hours of negotiation we agreed on a 4 yrs lease with 7k down and 420 monthly.

Well, fast forward 1 week and now BMW (not the dealer) is saying it's too low; they can honor it if I switch my build from manual to auto, to which I declined and asked for my deposit back.

I expected a bit differently from BMW; guess I'll keep my E90 for the long haul now and when it's time to shop again I will _definitely_ consider the competition.

Plus, the whole xDrive being auto-only really pi$$ed me; I didn't find the 8AT to be that awesome in the end...

mryakan
01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
What do you expect?! The dealer wants to make a minimum amount of profit and you do not want to pay more for the car, I can hardly see how this could go any differently unless BMW can offer se loyalty incentive if they have not already done so (assuming you leased your e90 or bought it new). Chances are the dealer/salesman used all his allocation and found someone willing to pay more for your car. If you got your previous car from them, try talking to the sales manager.

rolltidef30
01-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Well, this is funny...
I expected a bit differently from BMW; guess I'll keep my E90 for the long haul now and when it's time to shop again I will _definitely_ consider the competition.

Plus, the whole xDrive being auto-only really pi$$ed me; I didn't find the 8AT to be that awesome in the end...

Holding on to that E90 is only going to cost you more $$ in the end with maintenance, so the dealer still scores.

I don't know the build of your car, but BMW was likely looking at the fact that its harder to unload a manual these days also.

Look, go ahead and pay a little more for the car. A 3 year lease should be cheaper than a 4 year also. Then you'll have a great new ride and no maintenance costs on that E90. And what competition? Again, who does that hurt? What do you want, a Lexus? Maybe a crappy A4? Good luck keeping that thing out of the shop. Unless you're going to Porsche, you'll be back in a Bimmer in 4 years pissed that you ever left.

I'll only ever lease these German cars unless I ever get a 911. If I ever were to get an M3/M4 I'd likely lease first, then buy, but other than that scenario, I couldn't pay to maintain these cars.

However, my F30 has been pretty good these past 10+ months, so there's that....

Dingers328
01-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Holding on to that E90 is only going to cost you more $$ in the end with maintenance, so the dealer still scores.

I don't know the build of your car, but BMW was likely looking at the fact that its harder to unload a manual these days also.

Look, go ahead and pay a little more for the car. A 3 year lease should be cheaper than a 4 year also. Then you'll have a great new ride and no maintenance costs on that E90. And what competition? Again, who does that hurt? What do you want, a Lexus? Maybe a crappy A4? Good luck keeping that thing out of the shop. Unless you're going to Porsche, you'll be back in a Bimmer in 4 years pissed that you ever left.

I'll only ever lease these German cars unless I ever get a 911. If I ever were to get an M3/M4 I'd likely lease first, then buy, but other than that scenario, I couldn't pay to maintain these cars.

However, my F30 has been pretty good these past 10+ months, so there's that....
He's right. I'll bet that shifter car will sit on the dealer's inventory for a long time. Drop by the dealer, tell them you've bought there before and enjoy their customer service. Then, remind your salesman of your telephone number and to call you when they're ready to cut a deal.

It's just business and that car really means nothing to them.

Except it's taking up real estate.

domyalex
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not complaining about the price; I'm complaining about the fact that the salesman wasted 3 hours of my time, took my money and then changed his mind 1 week later. We signed papers, they did credit check (thus my credit score took a hit) but in the end they decided not to go ahead, how can this be good business? I'm bound to the agreement (due to the deposit) but they are not?

My E90 has extended warranty for 3 more years and after that I'm budgeting up to $7000 in repairs for the next 3 years, and I still come out ahead when I consider total cost of ownership.

Plus, it's manual AND xDrive :)

mryakan
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm not complaining about the price; I'm complaining about the fact that the salesman wasted 3 hours of my time, took my money and then changed his mind 1 week later. We signed papers, they did credit check (thus my credit score took a hit) but in the end they decided not to go ahead, how can this be good business? I'm bound to the agreement (due to the deposit) but they are not?

You ARE NOT bound to anything when you put a downpayment. You can always get your money back as long as you have not taken delivery of the car, that is the law almost everywhere. And they can also change the terms and conditions too. This happens many times especially when leasing if rates go up before delivery and the buyer cannot afford/does not want to pay the higher payments. So your case is nothing new.
As for wasting time, that is part of life my friend. You can always waste more time to try and negotiate another acceptable deal, or just move on. What is in the past is in the past, chalk it up as a learning experience.

Pyewacket69
01-29-2013, 05:02 PM

My E90 has extended warranty for 3 more years and after that I'm budgeting up to $7000 in repairs for the next 3 years, and I still come out ahead when I consider total cost of ownership.

Most credit agencies expect multiple credit inquiries when one is shopping for a vehicle, thus they have a tendency to combine the several inquiries into a single batch, as long as the time period is relatively brief.

Having 3-4 credit checks on a new car over the period of a month isn't equal to 3-4 random credit checks by different vendors for different products over a 4 month period.

Also, I know of no state that binds you to an agreement if the other party changes the terms prior the the agreement being executed.

performula
01-31-2013, 09:29 AM

Your credit should have only received an inquiry. Unless the loan/lease was processed it should have no impact on your score. People cross shop loans as well.