PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top window badly cracked -- options?

rdp2n
01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
I got this rather nice 1998 328i convertible (165K, no rust) last April and decided to do some extensive work on the rear suspension over the winter. Including rear shocks. Well, I opened the top in cool weather to get to the bolts and sure enough the rear window cracked in several places. (Hmmm... There really should be a big red label on the dash to warn morons against doing this.)

The previous owner provided good records. The top replaced in 2005 and was the part # 3503 from bavarian auto. I called bavarian auto yesterday and yes -- the rear window is a welded-in -- NON-zippered type. Real pity because the rest of the top looks in fine condition. Is there any chance I could get it replaced somehow?

I understand from other posts that the window itself is not repairable. While I patch it up for the winter with scotch clear packing tape (any better ideas?) -- I should probably budget for a top replacement later in the year -- I'd like to keep this car and am prepared to spend some time & money to correct the situation. Questions:
1 -- What would be decent tops (WITH zippered windows) to choose?
2 -- Just how challenging is the install? Is this doable / recommendable for the intermediate mechanic?
3 -- Could anyone recommend some good sources of information regarding do's and don'ts and proper caring for a convertible top. I'd like to improve my act for the future --

Thanks,

Rob

Richkid79
01-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Try junkyards and lkq recyclers. The top is a PITA like most BMW repairs. GL

ThePianoman
01-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah junk yards, pick-n-pull, bavarian auto recycling might help. Also you might want to contact an upholsterer! they might be able to help too :/