PDA

View Full Version : My ultra clean, no trunk space lost, sub install

Langertown
01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm old and I can no longer justify having a big sub box in my trunk. Strollers go there now. However, IMHO the stock stereo is complete junk. I think I've found one version of a happy medium.

Look into my trunk and note the.... almost nothing??
http://i.imgur.com/VMCs6h.jpg

Here's a close up
http://i.imgur.com/U8h8mh.jpg

How did I do it? My M is a late model with the upgraded stereo, so it had a 8" HK sub in the ski pass. I simply removed the HK box, took out the junk, and reverse mounted the alpine 8" I was planning to made something out of MDF, I was quite surprised when I learned my stock sub was a 8"

How does it sound?

It sounds good! Very very clean. This is something of an "infinite baffle" installation, so it plays very deep. I like loud music. I've been listening to a lot of dubstep lately and that music has really heavy bass. It goes loud enough in most situations. It doesn't go extremely-extremely loud. Even though this alpine is rated for IB, if you really crank it, it will crap out on you. However, my stereo's weakness is now in the mids/tweets. They dont get loud enough. The bass of this sub drowns them out when I am top down on the highway.

I'm currently looking for a very small 4 channel amp to put in the stock amp's place. Anyone have any recommendations?

JustinE36M3
01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
so thats whats behind all that plastic crap? and a 8in bolted right to the original HK subs bracket?

Langertown
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
I assume you mean the plastic crap being that black plastic you see when you open your ski pass in the rear seats?

Bianca98
01-17-2013, 01:02 AM
good luck with this bro! I ran a 10in JL W3v3-2 like this for about 4-7 months, something like that, till it litterly blew to pieces, hitting me ever so gently in the head.

Of course, I have a thread in here showing my fully enclosed 8in box. its the same execution as far as used space so kudos. I even got rid of the junk disc changer to get a little more storage back there.

JustinE36M3
01-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I assume you mean the plastic crap being that black plastic you see when you open your ski pass in the rear seats?
correct. It bolted in easily?

Langertown
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
good luck with this bro! I ran a 10in JL W3v3-2 like this for about 4-7 months, something like that, till it litterly blew to pieces, hitting me ever so gently in the head.

Of course, I have a thread in here showing my fully enclosed 8in box. its the same execution as far as used space so kudos. I even got rid of the junk disc changer to get a little more storage back there.

Yup, I'll still buy one of those boxes from you, if you decide to make them in the spring

Langertown
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
correct. It bolted in easily?

Yes, I used the existing screw holes and screws from the stocker